Thread: Raistlin (spoilers)

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default Raistlin (spoilers)

Anyone who knows the story of Raistlin knows what happened when he took his test. In order to defeat the Dark Elf he accepted the "help" offered to him in the tower. I just finished The Legacy in the book, The Magic of Krynn, and something caught me interest. The current heads of magic, which were different considering it was 30 years into the future since Raistlin took his test, believed that Raistlin could have passed the Dark Elf trail without accepting help but he "took the easy way out". Discuss whether you think he could or not. Keep in mind that the current head of the Black Robes was the very assistant of Raistlin while he was studying to overthrow The Dark Queen and that "taking theeasy way out" doesn't seem much like Raistlin at all.

I'll give this topic 24 hours before I spam it with standard oldbie crap.

I've read some of those books, I did read Soulforge and it didn't seem much to me like he was taking the easy way out, that dosen't seem in his personality at all.
    Angelic Demon child

Oh no not this again.

I DO WHAT I WANT. YOU HAVE PROBLEM?

Quote Originally Posted by -N-
    I'll give this topic 24 hours before I spam it with standard oldbie crap.
    I'll join you when you do.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

No, he couldn't have. I mean, he was a novice mage who used all of his skill and training to cast an <i>illusion spell</i> on Tasselhoff a couple of months prior to the Test. He couldn't go up against three powerful dark elves.

I don't think he was meant to, either. Fistandantilus said the Conclave made it that way to try and kill Raistlin if he made the choices which led him to Fisty. I don't know whether he can be believed or not, but sounds plausible enough.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Fistandantilus said the Conclave made it that way to try and kill Raistlin if he made the choices which led him to Fisty. I don't know whether he can be believed or not, but sounds plausible enough.
    The problem with that I see is if the conclave purposely set the dark elves there to stop him in case he chose the darker path, then what would of happened had he chosen not to? He would have died without deserving it since he didn't accept the help. It was because of that part of the trail that he did accept the help, and he still lived despite the attempts to kill him. Could it be said that it was because of what the conclave did to him that he chose to accept it? If so, did the conclave want him to accept it because without it then 5 years down the road he might not have been willing to make the choices and sacrafices he had to in order to dawn the Black Robes and play his part in the defeat of the Dragon Queen?

It's been a few years since I read most of the other books so a lot of the finer details are a little fuzzy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The problem with that I see is if the conclave purposely set the dark elves there to stop him in case he chose the darker path, then what would of happened had he chosen not to? He would have died without deserving it since he didn't accept the help.
    No. As Fisty said, Raistlin didn't have to ignore the warning someone gave him before he entered the inn, he didn't have to enter that particular inn, and he didn't have to talk with the dark elves, and he definitely didn't have to agree with their plan. He could've followed a different path and faced a different set of challenges. Remember - the Test is designed so that the people they allow to take will be <i>highly likely</i> to pass(barring unforeseen circumstances - such as Fisty).

Could it be said that it was because of what the conclave did to him that he chose to accept it? If so, did the conclave want him to accept it because without it then 5 years down the road he might not have been willing to make the choices and sacrafices he had to in order to dawn the Black Robes and play his part in the defeat of the Dragon Queen?
    You overestimate the Conclave.

I have no idea who the hell the Raistlin is. How old is he? Is he a zombie? Or does he just look that way?

Raistlin = chick . . . or chicken. It's one of the two.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Raistlin is...something like 26 at the start of the books. No, he's not a zombie. Yes, he may at times look like one. No, he's not a chick, despite the rumors.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everytime I think to say something in this thread I see someone taking it out of context to make me suicidal so I'll just say pie and :<3:.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Like "Raistlin Majere makes me hot?"

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As was stated earlier, he didn't have to make the decisions that led him in that direction.

However, I've seen different versions of Raistlin's test, and though the one in Soulforge seems to be taken as canon most other books seem to mention only one dark elf (and some reference it being Dalamar), and it was also said that the testee would have to face at least one person of a higher rank in combat.

Personally, I think that had the test played out as it would have normally, Raistlin would have merely found the texts, at which point he might not have had to fight the dark elves at all, depending on how it played out.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

However, I've seen different versions of Raistlin's test, and though the one in Soulforge seems to be taken as canon most other books seem to mention only one dark elf (and some reference it being Dalamar), and it was also said that the testee would have to face at least one person of a higher rank in combat.
    Since DL has had 584759832475980423 different authors over the years, I go by whatever Weis/Hickman say about it. And since even Weis/Hickman have contradicted themselves at various points, I'd go by what Weis wrote in <i>Soulforge</i>, since Weis created the character Raistlin in the first place(along with the Test and what Raistlin experienced there).
    And I do remember references to "the dark elf" instead of "dark elves" - but it definitely wasn't Dalamar. As you said - one of the challenges Raistlin would face was a mage that outranked him. And Dalamar never outranked Raistlin(plus, people don't directly participate in the Test - unless you're Fisty). At the time of Raistlin's Test, I don't think Dalamar had even taken his.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's mentioned in passing, if I find the book I'll quote the passage. But you are right though, I think Dalamar was around Raistlin's rank at that point.

It's just an interesting thing to note. If I recall correctly, I think it's said by one of the members of the conclave, might have been Justarius in one of the books. My memory is a wee bit foggy.