Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When endings were rubbish

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Default When endings were rubbish

Who here remembers when endings were bad. Like really bad. No FMVs, no long-drawn out scenes, no closure. No, back in t'day all we used to get were a few sentances of text. We were lucky if they were grammatically correct most of the time! I used to play games for nye on hours at a time just to see a single screen of text declaring me the winner. And we appreciated it. Now if an endings under an hour and doesn't include full orchestral score and various bells and whistles, it's brushed off as "rushed" and "stupid" and "OMG RUBBISH!". You even have the nerve to poll which ones are better. You've got more now than when I was a lad.

Who's with me?!
    There is no signature here. Move along.

I didn't get any ending at all for beating out my fellow brothers.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Resident Evil games have always had endings like that. Bland, unconclusive, and short. Mostly it's just the characters escaping the final area in some sort of vehicle while it explodes in the predictable self-destruct sequence. Yawn.

The REmake at least spiced up the last area of the game to make it feel like a more full-fledged ending.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Gradius games have always had endings like that. Bland, unconclusive, and short. Mostly it's just the characters escaping the final area in some sort of vehicle while it explodes in the predictable self-destruct sequence. Yawn.

Contra games have always had endings like that. Bland, unconclusive, and short. Mostly it's just the characters escaping the final area in some sort of vehicle while it explodes in the predictable self-destruct sequence. Yawn.

You would have though that the villains in Resident Evil/Gradius/Contra would discover that the weakness of the hero(es) is a final area without a self-destruct system.

Honestly now.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Third Age is a console RPG and it was released last year - but it's got one of the shortest, most disappointing endings in history. Basically, (SPOILER)you're shown a fly-by of a map (taken directly from the film), with an announcement that "your story is just beginning". Fade out, back to the intro screen. I mean wtf?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's not like there was much left to be told once you beat Space Invaders. What an epic.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Back in my day, when you beat a game it just kept repeating levels.There WERE no endings. Not only that but there were no title screens, you just turn on your game and you started right then.
    lol signature

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Final Fantasy games have always had endings like that. Bland, unconclusive, and short. Mostly it's just the characters escaping the final area in some sort of vehicle while it explodes in the predictable self-destruct sequence. Yawn.

...no, wait, it isn't like that at all.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

I cant remember very well, but I always thought that Duke Nuckem had an awful ending, but then again, I might be mistaking it with another game.
    Kurushi had a poor ending, but that was the games style. Still a smurfing good game....

High Score tables are much more rewarding than some stupid FMV sequence. Unfortunately they don't exist anymore.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Halo 2 ending is like that. He asks for permission to end the war, and boom, games over. WTF?

It's called a Cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    It's called a Cliffhanger.
    I know, but they could have added a little more than that. We go through the whole game for a few lines of dialog. Though, I'm not sure anyone else noticed because I'm the only one I know who didn't skip all the cutscene.