Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Genre's, your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeZipster
    As for Thrash Metal, well the Big Four Of Thrash are Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, and Slayer so I've got no idea why'd you say they aren't Thrash Metal.

Death Metal = growling vocals
    Thrash Metal = heavy and fast riffs

That's how I characterize them, at least. I'm not going to claim to be the authority on a genre of music that was around and died before I was even born.
    Zipster knows the score. That said, death metal is still alive and well, at least in Scandinavia.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Quote Originally Posted by RPJesus
    I like...
    Alternative
    Grunge (If you can call it a genre, it's basically like saying I like Nirvana and Mudhoney)
    Thrash Metal (If you can call it a genre, it's basically like saying I like Metallica, Megadeth, or Slayer)
    Err... 'Alternative' is a genre, but grunge isn't? How'd you figure that? What does 'alternative' mean except 'not pop', anyway?
    Metallica is heavy metal, Slayer and Megadeath are death metal. Thrash metal's faster stuff, like Motorhead (I know they're old, but they basically invented thrash metal).
    I said "if you can call it that" because I don't believe 2 bands constitute a genre. The only two grunge bands I even know of are Mudhoney and Nirvana. As for Thrash Metal, well the Big Four Of Thrash are Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, and Slayer so I've got no idea why'd you say they aren't Thrash Metal.

That's how I characterize them, at least. I'm not going to claim to be the authority on a genre of music that was around and died before I was even born.
    Didn't RPJesus already agree that Metalica and the other guys were thrash metal? I'm sure he did.
    Anyway, just because you've only heard of two bands doesn't mean that there aren't any more grunge bands. How about Pearl Jam? And Sound Garden? Have you been living under a rock? Not to mention a huge heap of other stuff. It wasn't the 'Seattle grunge scene' just cause of old Kobain.

i tend to like most ,if not all, genres...but i mostly listen to rock or some form of it

Quote Originally Posted by Traitorfish
    Anyway, just because you've only heard of two bands doesn't mean that there aren't any more grunge bands. How about Pearl Jam? And Sound Garden? Have you been living under a rock? Not to mention a huge heap of other stuff. It wasn't the 'Seattle grunge scene' just cause of old Kobain.
    Not to mention Alice in Chains, or the Melvins. Although Alice in Chains is pretty much dead along with Layne Staley, but at least Cantrell's still recording stuff.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I tend not to generalise with genres. For example, some metal, like System of a Down or Rammstein, is good, some, like Murderdolls, is very, very bad. Some hip-hop, like Rage Against the Machine, is good, some, like anything else, is bad.
    If I had to choose, I'd say I like metal and rock. I'm not going to be too specific- all this Doom Metal and BlackDeath Metal and MegaDarkBlood Metal crap is just annoying and confusing.
    Exactly. All of this breaking down of every genre into a hundred other different mini-genres is overdoing things just a tad. You might as well just start to list which bands you prefer instead of which genres if you break each genre down to that extent.

Rock and Metal is what I prefer and of those two genres you will still find some crap just like with anything else, but those are still the two I prefer.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Styles like death metal and doom metal are very far aside what you will hear on mainstream radio, but there is still significant difference between works of each style, and each style has its own history that is generally largely separate from the history of each other style. Just because you've never heard any music of a certain style doesn't mean that there aren't hundreds of bands that fit in each example. Power metal is not black metal is not sludge metal is not grindcore, and even though there are likely many bands that straddle the boundary between each set of styles, fans of one style are not always likely to appreciate the other styles, even if they seem relatively similar upon first listening. The only reason it all sounds the same on first listening is because you've barely ever heard anything like it before.

Quote Originally Posted by RPJesus
    I like...
    Alternative
    Grunge (If you can call it a genre, it's basically like saying I like Nirvana and Mudhoney)
    Thrash Metal (If you can call it a genre, it's basically like saying I like Metallica, Megadeth, or Slayer)
    Err... 'Alternative' is a genre, but grunge isn't? How'd you figure that? What does 'alternative' mean except 'not pop', anyway?
    Metallica is heavy metal, Slayer and Megadeath are death metal. Thrash metal's faster stuff, like Motorhead (I know they're old, but they basically invented thrash metal).
    I said "if you can call it that" because I don't believe 2 bands constitute a genre. The only two grunge bands I even know of are Mudhoney and Nirvana. As for Thrash Metal, well the Big Four Of Thrash are Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, and Slayer so I've got no idea why'd you say they aren't Thrash Metal.

Didn't RPJesus already agree that Metalica and the other guys were thrash metal? I'm sure he did.
    No, I'm fairly sure he said Metallica. What's it matter if I'm reiterating what they said? I like to directly respond to people who ask me questions. I find it rude to ignore people, regardless of how many people have responded to them already.

I never claimed that Nirvana and Mudhoney were the only grunge bands. Are you denying grunge's unpopularity? How many people, on average, do you think even know of grunge's existence? Not that many. In addition to that, the difference between punk and grunge is essentially just tempo and distortion. It's barely a genre if not a sub-genre, and even in it's peak it was more scene than a genre anyways. Just like emo is. In fact, a lot new grunge bands are being mistaken for emo bands.

I think quite a few people, when you say the word "grunge," will immediately think of Seattle. Perhaps your generation, not having been old enough to remember the early Nineties well, is largely ignorant of the style, but I'd be sorely disappointed in anyone my age who didn't know what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    I think quite a few people, when you say the word "grunge," will immediately think of Seattle. Perhaps your generation, not having been old enough to remember the early Nineties well, is largely ignorant of the style, but I'd be sorely disappointed in anyone my age who didn't know what it was.
    My generation? My parents don't know about grunge, neither do any of my parent's friends (or so I'm assuming). Grunge had a short life.

By the same token, your parents were probably too old for grunge. Most people in our parents' generations stopped listening to new music in the mid-Eighties (I'm grossly overgeneralizing here, of course).

Kpop..................and more kpop.....
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyday I wish that I could be the one, for you...

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, I like music.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Punk
    Grunge
    Emo
    Alternative
    Rap
    Hip-Hop (Not the same)
    Techno
    Trance
    Old school rap

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    Styles like death metal and doom metal are very far aside what you will hear on mainstream radio, but there is still significant difference between works of each style, and each style has its own history that is generally largely separate from the history of each other style. Just because you've never heard any music of a certain style doesn't mean that there aren't hundreds of bands that fit in each example. Power metal is not black metal is not sludge metal is not grindcore, and even though there are likely many bands that straddle the boundary between each set of styles, fans of one style are not always likely to appreciate the other styles, even if they seem relatively similar upon first listening. The only reason it all sounds the same on first listening is because you've barely ever heard anything like it before.
    Exactly!

Although if someone claims that Power Metal and Grindcore sounds the same, he's most likely an idiot.

Rap, hip hop and some R&B. But I have songs I like which are from other genre's too.