Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Genre's, your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Knight
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Hope
    Graveland
    haha
    You have a problem with Darken good sir?
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeZipster
    Quote Originally Posted by RPJesus
    Thrash metal is a genre, just because you only know the three most popular bands in it doesn't mean there are not others in it.

Here is a list of my favorite genres and bands.
    Death metal
    Power/Thrash/Heavy
    Avant-garde/Post-Black/Progressive
    Gothic
    Black/Viking/Folk
    Doom/Sludge/Stoner
    Some of these, e.g. Post-Black, Sludge, seem to be barely existent sub-sub-genres. There's no point in pigeon-holing bands- you may aswell put every single band, or even song, in to a genre of its own. That is, if they didn't all sound exactly the same.
    p.s. I've accepted death and thrash metal as genres, so don't bother me about that. And no 'Oh, so as long as you accept it...' crap.
    I would agree with this, if most of the bands themselves didn't use the sub-sub-genres to describe themselves on their purevolume and myspace.com pages.
    I didn't mean that it was the bands that catergorised themselves that way (although some do). It's usually just stupid fans and journalists. A really good band can move between genres, and so can't really be classified.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgen
    Some of these, e.g. Post-Black, Sludge, seem to be barely existent sub-sub-genres.
    Just because you don't know of a band doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    i've heard of some of those bands (I never said they didn't exist), but the genres are just idiotic attempts to over-classify everything.

Banned

i've heard of some of those bands (I never said they didn't exist), but the genres are just idiotic attempts to over-classify everything.
    There is no such thing as over-classifying if it's done properly. Are you saying music that doesn't fit in any existing genres should be left unclassified?

There is no such thing as over-classifying if it's done properly. Are you saying music that doesn't fit in any existing genres should be left unclassified?
    It's not done properly. That's the problem. And I never said any of that. Just that bands shouldn't be put in to genres so ridiculous and precise.

Banned

Personally I find precision to be something postive when reading a description of some sort. And what's wrong with genres such as post-black metal?

It's not done properly. That's the problem. And I never said any of that. Just that bands shouldn't be put in to genres so ridiculous and precise.
    I did do it properly thank you, listen to the bands I mentioned as Post-black and then come back later.

Those bands are not put in ridiculously precise genres, post-black has a very (while each band making it sound very unique) general sound.

I don't really blame you, as I doubt you listen to all the different genres as I do (not bragging about it) but if you did you would realized that there is a reason for all the minor classifications.
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

I did do it properly thank you, listen to the bands I mentioned as Post-black and then come back later.
    I have heard some. But my point wasn't what genres the bands belonged to, but how stupid some of those genres were.

Those bands are not put in ridiculously precise genres, post-black has a very (while each band making it sound very unique) general sound.
    That makes no sense. It's generic but original?

I don't really blame you, as I doubt you listen to all the different genres as I do (not bragging about it) but if you did you would realized that there is a reason for all the minor classifications.
    Genres can be vague. They don't all have to be so exact. Because one bands guitar sounds slightly different than an other isn't a reason to create or put it in another genre.

T'best in terms of pants Captain VooDoo's Avatar

I like metal.
    love,heavy and the general metal.
    its loud.
    i also like rock,vaguely alternitive folk rock,grunge,whatever the cure are and death metals pretty good.

T'best in terms of pants Captain VooDoo's Avatar

Genres can be vague. They don't all have to be so exact. Because one bands guitar sounds slightly different than an other isn't a reason to create or put it in another genre.
    RPJesus is sort of right, genres are preety vague sometimes, but there just a way to sort things out, like cheeses have different names to sort them so people do not get confused, besides genres don't matter it should really be about the band not what genre they are.

Banned

There are stupid genres, such as white metal or love metal, but post-black metal is without a doubt a valid genre.

gdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsg

Graveland
    haha
    Have you ever read one of his interviews, or seen one of his album covers? Graveland renders joke bands like Impaled Northern Moonforest obsolete. And he's a POLISH NAZI.

Yes, I have read Darken interviews and have seen his covers ...

Graveland renders joke bands like Impaled Northern Moonforest obsolete.
    Haha, no.

So what if he is a Polish Nazi? His music is great.

Graveland
    haha
    And he's a POLISH NAZI.
    That's discrimination. Polish people can be just as good Nazis as Germans. They just make sausage instead of oppressing people and stuff. Nazis need sausage.

rock and urban because 2-pac rulz

Banned

Graveland
    haha
    Have you ever read one of his interviews, or seen one of his album covers? Graveland renders joke bands like Impaled Northern Moonforest obsolete. And he's a POLISH NAZI.
    He looks good too.