Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys level your old school FF chars?

Default How do you guys level your old school FF chars?

I was wondering how everyone here levels in old school FF's, (1-6). I know this may belong on the FFV or FFVI forums or something, but I am curious. Anyway, by the time I got to level 50~ on FFIV I was getting sick of just mindlessly levelling, so I just set my L2 button to double as confirm, taped it down (haha i know, i don't have a rapid fire on my controller) and set it beside my mouse while I typed, just moving the d-pad enough to get into a fight. I did this on the topmost level of the final area, B1 or whatever of the moon, underneath the crystal palace, and man, just doing it on the side and paying very little attention I got to level 85ish in just 2 days. Haha do any of you do this also? or is this considered cheap? I like the idea of actually sitting there and playing out my levels, even if I do the same thing, (run around and hold x) at least I'm paying attention to it. For a while I would just put on music and do that, but it feels like it takes so much longer when you're actually watching it happen. I'm thinking about doing the same thing when I start FFVI again. What do you all think?

I never spend a lot of time leveling up characters on any RPG's. Its just pointless IMO. I mean, I MIGHT spend about 10 or 15 minutes max. But if I know it will take 40 - an hour to level up then I know Its time to move on. Hell, when you reached level 50 on FFIV, you were high enough to beat the game. I rather just move on with the game and not overlevel. It takes away the fun and challenge for me.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I just fight every battle I run into in the course of going through the game normally. Generally this puts you at a high enough level that at most you may need to spend 2-5 hours just leveling, although usually not even that if you're good.

This may seem very complicated, but I fight on the world map.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Articles

FF1 - Powerlevel enough to get by comfortably until I make it to the peninsula with monsters from the northern continent, and I sit there and fight for a few hours. I can float on the levels I get here for most of the rest of the game.

FF2 - Get into a battle and kill everything except for the weakest enemy, then take turns attacking and healing myself for three straight days. Then I go ahead and progress through the story and all that.

FF5 - Start off by getting a Knight leveled up to be able to use 2-handed, and getting two mages who can use both White and Black magic up to level 3 or so. This is done pretty much whenever I get a full party. Oh yeah, the fourth guy. I have a thief for most of the game, so I can dash and see hidden passages.

FF6 - It's different every time.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

FF1 DoS. i got stuck on finding my way through the earth cave and was level 30 when i beat lich but the levelings been turbo charged so the game is rather easy(especially if you go through the special dungeons only on DoS and get 4 ribbons.)

FF2.same thing as sepho.

FF4.i just spend loads of time levelling because its hard to do so and i plan to stop levelling when rydia learns flare because meteo takes ages to charge and is not worth it.

FF5. on my first playthrough i was in world 3 and underlevelled so i started again. although it is hard to level on FF5 i set myself challenges.make it so im not allowed in certain locations until a certain level.

FF6 i just go with the flow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Experience. And time. And Experience eggs (if applicable).
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

FFI: First the peninsula northeast of Pravoka. Then the Giant's Hall in the Earth Cave, then Zombie Dragons in the Castle of Ordeals or just going through dungeons.

FFIII: Just stay in the latest dungeon and fight for a while.

FFIV: Keep leveling up in the following dungeon until you're strong enough to go through it.

FFV: Leveling up abilities is the most important thing. You just need to fight a lot. The only great leveling up place for EXP I remember was in World 2, the abandoned castle where you fight Zombie Dragons. Use Control on them and have them Flame themselves to death for lots of EXP and AP.

FFVI: The tyranosaur forest. If I want to someone to gain quick levels there, I give him/her Genji Glove, Hero Ring, Atma Weapon and Illumina, and equip them with Bahamut to learn Flare and get the best HP-ups. Then I petrify the others and go fight those tyranosauruses with that one character.

Generally, the best advice for leveling up is to fight all the battles you'll run into. Only flee if your party is severely weakened or you're in a battle where you could lose or get hurt too much. Though in FFI, you should run away from Sorcerers and enemies that can poison, petrify or insta-kill you.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Haha, well I didn't exactly mean in terms of in-game mechanics. That would probably differ alot between different people. I'm just saying do you guys actually sit there and stare at the screen holding down X (or whatever your "confirm" is) or do you put it on rapid fire and just move the D-pad as you do something else?

I sit stare at the screen in a "trance" and whoop all the monster and feinds asses.

in FF1(both)-im level 67 by the time I am at the fire dugeon
    in FF2(DoS)-I have most of the best spells by the time I at the end of game
    in FF3-I dont have
    in FF4-Im level 88 by the dark elf
    in FF5-I dont have
    you were killed by: a shoe

YOU:These are my Immortal words "I am Cao Pi"
    A Shoe:WTF!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Creed
    The max level in the original FF1 is 50.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed
    The max level in the original FF1 is 50.

Maybe he means Dos and Origins version. On the Origins version you can get to level 99 on easy mode.

But yeah, on the NES version and on the Normal mode on Origins, the highest level is 50.

The max level in the original FF1 is 50.[/QUOTE]

then Im level 50 by the fire dugeon(FF1 original) and level 67 by the fire dugeon(DoS)
    you were killed by: a shoe

YOU:These are my Immortal words "I am Cao Pi"
    A Shoe:WTF!?!

Are you friggen serious? Did you use cheats or something? I mean its not impossible to be at that level when you get there. But it would take hours upon hours to get there.