• Ozzy Ozbourne (Black Sabath)

4 13.33%
  • Jimi Hendrix

3 10.00%
  • Howlin' Pelle Almqvist (The Hives)

0 0%
  • Kurt Kobain (Nirvana)

4 13.33%
  • Zack de la Rocha (Rage Against the Machine)

0 0%
  • Marilyn Manson

0 0%
  • Pete Townshend (The Who)

10 33.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Greatest Frontman

Quote Originally Posted by RPJesus
    Quote Originally Posted by GooeyToast
    Without Mike, FNM wouldn't have been what it was. Not to mention Mr Bungle, Secret Chiefs 3, Tomahawk, and almost every other band he's affiliated with probably wouldn't exist without him. So I think it's fair to say he has an incredible influence on music, as well as being one of the best and most innovative singers of the last decade or so.

So there ya go Joe. Happy now little Jesus girl?
    So, he was in a bunch of bands, so what? He may have been a good singer, but he's not like Mighty Khan of Lapland, or anything.
    Why is he so influential? The only bands that wouldn't have existed without him were his own, right? Or... what?
    He's not Lemmy or Jagger, so he's not exactly the most influential musician ever.

And Squinn, your dad met Lemmy? Drunk? You never told me that. Did Lemmy really stink? Did he?
    Was he at the concert or happened to be in the pub?
    I thought this thread was about great frontmen, which Mike Patton definetly earns a place on considering all the different artists and bands he has lead through his 15 year career.

Now if you want to get on the subject of his influence, then I'll be more than happy to PM you about it. But seeing as how this doesn't relate to the topic at hand, I'm not gonna bother posting why, just to be hasseled by mods.

I thought this thread was about great frontmen, which Mike Patton definetly earns a place on considering all the different artists and bands he has lead through his 15 year career.

Now if you want to get on the subject of his influence, then I'll be more than happy to PM you about it. But seeing as how this doesn't relate to the topic at hand, I'm not gonna bother posting why, just to be hasseled by mods.
    Mike Patton is not on the list because he doesn't belong on the list- being in many bands doesn't make him a better frontman. If anything, the oppositte. He may be a good singer, but he is not as good a frontman as Lemmy or Ozzy or Jimi or someone.
    (You may very well say the same about Pelle Amqvist or Ville Valo... they were really just to see how many people would vote for them. Thankfully, it seems most people are smarter than that).

Quote Originally Posted by Traitorfish
    Mike Patton is not on the list because he doesn't belong on the list- being in many bands doesn't make him a better frontman. If anything, the oppositte. He may be a good singer, but he is not as good a frontman as Lemmy or Ozzy or Jimi or someone.
    (You may very well say the same about Pelle Amqvist or Ville Valo... they were really just to see how many people would vote for them. Thankfully, it seems most people are smarter than that).
    Oh, and yet Serj seems to deserve it more does he? Yeah, that makes a lot of smurfing sense.

He DOES deserve to be on that list, not because he's in a lot of bands, which in fact he wasn't at all back when he was in FNM and Bungle only, but because he was the one who lead both of them, and without him they would have been nothing.

Afterall, isn't that what the whole point of a frontman is? The main leader in a band? Or am I somehow mistaken yet again?

Oh, and yet Serj seems to deserve it more does he? Yeah, that makes a lot of smurfing sense.

He DOES deserve to be on that list, not because he's in a lot of bands, which in fact he wasn't at all back when he was in FNM and Bungle only, but because he was the one who lead both of them, and without him they would have been nothing.

Afterall, isn't that what the whole point of a frontman is? The main leader in a band? Or am I somehow mistaken yet again?
    Yeah, but Serj is a newer frontman. I added him, and a few others, to see wether people prefered older frontmen, or newer ones. Unfortuanately, Mr.Patton does not fall into this category.
    Plus, I don't give a crappy-doodle-pipski about him, so get over it.

Yeah, but Serj is a newer frontman. I added him, and a few others, to see wether people prefered older frontmen, or newer ones. Unfortuanately, Mr.Patton does not fall into this category.
    Plus, I don't give a crappy-doodle-pipski about him, so get over it.
    Well now, wouldn't it have been a hell of a lot easier to say "This is for new and old frontman only" to begin with?

And I really don't smurfing care if you like him or not. I was just saying he should've been on the list. That's all folks.

It's not just for new and old frontmen. What i meant was that it was really for some of the greats, and a threw a few newer guys in to see if that made a difference to see how people voted.
    Anyway, if you don't care what I think of Patton, why'd you start going on about him?
    Well, when I inevitably re-make this in four or five months, I might add him, as well as removing a few (I'm looking at you Almqvist!)

For rock, I'd have to go with Mike Patton. For metal, Mikael Åkerfeldt. None of the choices listed excite me that much. I mean, sure Ozzy, Lemmy et al. made some great music, but if they weren't in the bands they were in, people wouldn't remember them as great frontmen.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

It's not Anyway, if you don't care what I think of Patton, why'd you start going on about him?
    Well, let's see.....

Quote Originally Posted by RPJesus
    Singer from Phantamos, a little bird says? That can't be it, you stupid girl. Shoo shoo. Now, who? What basis do you have for his being great? Any? Go on, elaborate, child.
    And then I made my response to this:

So I was simply stating my reasoning, mmkay?

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    For rock, I'd have to go with Mike Patton.
    Good to see I'm not alone.

I don't think that that's what being a great frontman is about.
    It's not about how you lead it, but how you hog the spotlight. It's measured on how arrogant and self-loving you are, not nessacarily skill. Of course, you won't be remembered as a great frontman if you front a crappy band, but it doesn't have to be a legendary band either.
    But that's just going by what I would call a frontman. It depends on what you mean by the word. Would you look for skill and how influential they are or 'The Frontman pratiques'? Showing off in a spangly costume. I think a few arguments have been caused by the words variety of meanings. We're getting different ideas of what should be on the list, and so who should be. Get that sorted, why don't you.

Quote Originally Posted by The man
    I mean, sure Ozzy, Lemmy et al. made some great music, but if they weren't in the bands they were in, people wouldn't remember them as great frontmen.
    That contradicts itself. Lemmy wouldn't be so well remembered without Motorhead, but he would be remembered because he's a very good musician. But the fact that he is good is the half the reason he'd be remebered because of Motorhead.
    But Lemmy was in other stuff he would be and is remembered for, Motorhead was just the biggest and the best. And I suppose he was better frontman material with them.
    And Ozzy, yeah, is remembered for Black Sabbath but, like Lemmy, he's done other stuff. For one thing, he's Ozzy. He'll always be remembered for being that.
    So, The man... untrue.

I didn't say they wouldn't be remembered as great musicians, I just said they wouldn't be remembered as great frontmen. Lemmy's work in Hawkwind was fantastic in its own right, but he wasn't the frontman of the group. And I severely doubt Ozzy's solo career would have been one quarter as successful, either musically or artistically, if he hadn't been in Black Sabbath. So my statement stands.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I decided the debate was pointless and had too much bickering, so I rewarded the victory to Pete Townshend.

"Oh but Brendan, Pete Townsend isn't a frontman!"

Suck it.