Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP

Default Windows XP

Okay a list of things kinda came up ALL at once, if anyone knows about XP's ridiculous structure please help!
    Norton recently found a virus installed on my computer and deleted it but here are the after affects:

Running Processes:
    There's 50 Running processes right now which is WAAAY too much, last week i only had 40.

One program not working:
    I use iTunes a lot and for some reason it just won't open. I did Start>Run the works! And it's running on my process box but there is no other signs of it on my computer

Not shutting down:
    I click Start>shut down and nothing happens, except Norton closes and that's it.....very strange

anyone got a good program or some way to help me clean up my computer? Or anyone face the same problems?

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow, forty? What the heck do you guys run in the background? After boot up I have eighteen processes running.

Anyway, I would guess it's spyware / virus. Run the virus scanner again. Run Adaware and Spybot. Run that one Windows spyware remover. If all else fails, reformat.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Sounds like there's still something there, a phantom process or something along those lines. Try updating Norton and running a manual scan of your complete computer. After, run adaware and/or spybot Search&Destroy to remove any spyware that might be getting in the way.

EDIT: Yams, you beat me.

Im still getting used to Windows layout.
    Even though Macs arent as good, they are far easier to navigate.....

The virus or whatever replaced your itunes.exe with something else CALLED itunes.exe to fool you :D That iTunes.exe running in your processes is not your program. Have fun.

Either that, or a virus set the default association for executable files to itself...thus, if you try and run most executables and programs, the virus gets executed instead.

I would go Start > Run > open msconfig > and the open up the Startup tab to see what's there.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have 66 processes open right now And this is quiet as far as things I have open/things I'm doing simultaneously goes
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

I dunno about you guys, but between having a Norton software suite thing, and a HP related computer, they both absolutely adore having a freaking TON of BS running in the background. I usually have 40-50 processes going without even opening an aplication =/ Not that it really hurts my performance..

Yeah, the standalone norton virus scanner is great (as long as you turn smartscan on instead of comprehensive scanning) but the "internet security suite" is very bloated and slow.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I like Kung-Fu.

I hate all norton. I just feel that the wole shehbang went downhill after 2002.

I use AVG, and have clients whom use/love it as well. It's free, and runs VERY smooth. An impressive find imo. http://free.grisoft.com I have no complaints on it.

As for a possible solution, don't forget about system restore. start>programs>accessories>system tools>resotre

It will save your butt at times, other times, it wont help squat.

Bipper

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I use Clam AntiVirus. Opensource all the way!

DMKA: That's because you have processes from ALL users running, and instead of logging off you switched users.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is your scrollbar *supposed* to look like it could fit 363 processes, dimmkah?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Reinstall Windows. Who knows what the virus did. After you reinstall Windows, don't install Norton. It's trash.

[qq=Samuraid]Either that, or a virus set the default association for executable files to itself...thus, if you try and run most executables and programs, the virus gets executed instead.[/qq]

Is it really possible to change the file association for executables? If so, my opinion of Windows has dropped from what I believed to be rock bottom, to somewhere a few feet underground. I thought handling executables was something built into the kernel.