Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serenity

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    I haven't watched all of the episodes of Firefly yet so it looks like I'm going to have to rent Serenity at a later time. I am looking forward to it.
    You don't actually need to have seen the whole show (or any for that matter) to really like the movie. I actually ended up seeing it tonight with my dad. He thought it was great and he hasn't watched a single episode. It really stands on its own very well. That said you will probably get more out of it after seeing the whole series, but if you've seen any of it at all, that'd be all you need.

Anyway, long story short, I loved it. It was everything I could have hoped for as someone who's been a fan of the show since it originally aired. I laughed, I cried (almost), I had fun. I give it a solid 11.94857/10.

I'm way pumped. I never got to see the entire series, but what I saw was excellent, and I'm a massive fan of Joss Whedon. I'm hopefully going to be seeing it this Sunday, along with Mirrormask.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

First: I've never seen an episode of Firefly.

All right: I don't think I've ever been so captivated by a movie. I mean of course it was experted produced anyhow, but it got me <i>in</i>to it, man. Written and directed in a style incredibly refreshing from the Hollywood norm; perfectly balanced between the tongue-in-cheek comedic and the life-lesson meaningful; host to actors with great feel for timing and nuance; carefully amalgamated from elements of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Western; and set to a beautifully poignant Celtic score, Serenity is very good movie okay guys?

The flying homo! Recognized Member Giga Guess's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Agreed.

Many thanks Christmas!
    Horniest Member, 2007! Gimme a little unf unf!

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*Trusts Kishi. Goes to watch*

But no seriously I want to go see it...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with Kishi. I only saw the first episode of Firefly, but I didn't even have to have seen that to love this movie. It screamed of "this movie was made for sci-fi fans" rather than the typical "this movie was concocted by Hollywood hotshots to make money."

The characters are all just wonderful characters. I really entirely loved this movie.

(SPOILER)Except when the killed Washburn. He was my favorite character, dammit!

Big fan of Firefly.

Must... see... Serenity...

<3
    Hi! I don't come on here often, but when I do, be sure to say hi. I'm nice and I don't bite. I just have a life.

Square Games I have beaten:
    FFIV, FFVI, FFIX, FFVII

Square Games I am currently playing:
    FFX, FFV, Chrono Trigger

Pleeeeeease don't spoil anything for me. Or I will cry. And maybe stab you with a plastic fork.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been hearing great things about the movie. I haven't seen Firefly but from what I've heard, Serenity is an entity in itself and doesn't require prior knowledge about the TV series to enjoy the movie.

Also, Joss Whedon is a genius. I'm not even kidding about this, the man is the master of Sci-fi and I will watch anything he puts out. Even if it's a story about how boogers took over the world.

I don't know any other person who can bring so much wit and humanity to any story like Whedon can. Not even J.J. Abrams can hold a torch to this guy. I'm a Whedon fangirl, I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    All right: I don't think I've ever been so captivated by a movie. I mean of course it was experted produced anyhow, but it got me <i>in</i>to it, man. Written and directed in a style incredibly refreshing from the Hollywood norm; perfectly balanced between the tongue-in-cheek comedic and the life-lesson meaningful; host to actors with great feel for timing and nuance; carefully amalgamated from elements of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Western; and set to a beautifully poignant Celtic score, Serenity is very good movie okay guys?
    Pretty much sums it up right there.

I saw it yesterday and I must say... This movie was an emotional rollercoaster for me. I loved these characters in the show and each one was top notch here. These characters topped with Joss Whedon's writing made me earnestly care for them in ways I have never cared for any fictional character. I laughed and cried during this movie. And trust me, no piece of entertainment has ever brought tears to my eyes. The pain felt just as real as the humor. This movie left me feeling cheated from almost every other movie experience. I never knew that a movie, especially a sci-fi movie, could be this good. Whether you've seen the show or not, see this movie. Trust me on this. I'm seeing again tomorrow.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    I agree with Kishi. I only saw the first episode of Firefly, but I didn't even have to have seen that to love this movie. It screamed of "this movie was made for sci-fi fans" rather than the typical "this movie was concocted by Hollywood hotshots to make money."

The characters are all just wonderful characters. I really entirely loved this movie.

(SPOILER)Except when the killed Washburn. He was my favorite character, dammit!
    Well put.

(SPOILER)Once you see all the episodes, I think you'll be upset that they killed off Book too. He was awesome, though not quite as silly as Wash.

Wonderful lines. Good plot. Now if only it's popular enough that it gets the TV show going again, or makes enough money that a Farscape movie would be worthwhile...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I totally agree with all of the positive comments on this thread. Joss Whedon has done it again, showing us what makes a good movie. I was a huge fan of Firefly when it was on and was very upset when I heard it was cancelled. To see it on the big screen seems like some pretty sweet justice to me.

The characters and storyline continued to be top notch. And I really liked that some of my questions from the series were finally answered with this movie. Nonetheless, as others have mentioned, you don't have to watch the series to love the movie. It manages to cover the recurring storyline from the series very well.

[spoilers]The only thing I was pissed about was that Wash and Shepherd were killed. I really liked their characters on the series and feel if anything else is created in the Firefly universe that it won't be quite the same without them. Anyhow, I guess we should expect character sacrifices in the world of Joss Whedon. *cough*Doyle*cough*[/spoilers]

Just to reply to those spoilers quickly, if the film does well, word is that Joss hasn't ruled out somehow having the entire cast back for another go round. I don't know how that would be possible, but I'm not one to doubt Mr. Whedon on anything.

Take care all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    Just to reply to those spoilers quickly, if the film does well, word is that Joss hasn't ruled out somehow having the entire cast back for another go round. I don't know how that would be possible, but I'm not one to doubt Mr. Whedon on anything.

Take care all.
    Indeed. Anyone who's a fan of Buffy or Angel knows that when he likes an actor or an actress, he'll find any way to keep them showing up in the series. I guess since Firefly isn't as supernatural though, it will be a bit more difficult. Well I guess only time can tell.

EDIT: Hmmm...now that you mention that, I do recall my wife saying that she saw a special about Serenity and while Alan Tudyk, Wash, was being interviewed, he hinted at the fact that there will be two more movies. I'm sure that it all rides on how it does in the theaters.

Though the theater wasn't exactly packed this afternoon, I did notice that everyone who was in front of me and behind me in the ticket line were getting tickets for Serenity. So it's very possible that we could have sequels. I believe the movie cost $40 million to make so if it can pull in $50 or $60 million, I'm sure that will please Universal enough.
    Last edited by Shadowdust; 10-02-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Flashbacks or the adventure being tied to one of those characters would work. Who knows. Those types of stories prolly wouldn't work that well for (SPOILER)Wash, but might for (SPOILER)Book, as he's the one with a past.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

"Though the theater wasn't exactly packed this afternoon, I did notice that everyone who was in front of me and behind me in the ticket line were getting tickets for Serenity. So it's very possible that we could have sequels. I believe the movie cost $40 million to make so if it can pull in $50 or $60 million, I'm sure that will please Universal enough."

From what I've gathered, heard and read, if the film grosses $80 million globally, not just within the USA, Universal will greenlight a sequel or perhaps two more films! Though it would be my dream for the series to come back, I can live very well with the films.

Take care all.