Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Serenity

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22
    Not trying to be rude here, but they are marked as spoilers for a reason. I can understand your a little excited, and you didn't give away who dies, but I still think that's saying a bit too much for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.
    I see your point. Changed it.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand
    I don't care, I'm still free
    You can't take the sky from me
    Take me out to the black
    Tell them I ain't comin' back
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me
    There's no place I can be
    Since I found Serenity
    But you can't take the sky from me...
    Listen to the Firefly theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22
    As for how it's doing in the Box Office, are those ticket sales for America only? If so, throwing in Canada's could easily add a few million more I'd think.
    I'm not sure but I think it's for the US only.

The $10 million domestic take (Which is only US I believe) is within the range of what Universal had hoped for, so all is not lost. There's still work to be done of course, but it's not as hopeless as it initially seemed.

Take care all.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Faith
    I see your point. Changed it.
    Thanks. Just didn't want anyone seeing that and then going to the movie expecting that to happen. Part of how effective those scenes were was not knowing. Changed my post as well to avoid ruining it for anyone myself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    The $10 million domestic take (Which is only US I believe) is within the range of what Universal had hoped for, so all is not lost. There's still work to be done of course, but it's not as hopeless as it initially seemed.

Take care all.
    Glad to hear that. $10 million really isn't bad for a movie released this time of year, especially one with no well known actors in it. I'll still try and do my part by perhaps going out and seeing it again. It was kind of funny; I went to see Flightplan last night, and though I enjoyed the movie, at the end I couldn't help but think how much more I would have enjoyed seeing Serenity a second time.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflare
    [q]You don't actually need to have seen the whole show (or any for that matter) to really like the movie.[/q]

That's good. I haven't seen a single episode, yet this looks like it's right my alley. I'll probably go to see it next week. It does look awesome.
    Yeah, you dont need to see any of the series, but it would help to explain the behavior of the characters. And you get a better understanding of the reavers.
    It was funny. When I went to see the movie, someone had Janes hat on. the beanie one that his mom made and he got in the mail the episode they recieved the 'dead' organ dude that they knew from the war.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Yeah I wasn't interested in it either but I just looked at Rotten Tomatoes
    and it's gotten 80% good reviews, so I'll check it out eventually. Isn't it
    by the guy who made Buffy or something?

.opt

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Last night I had a party at my mother's house and BJ and I were pushing for our friends to go see it. xD I'd go see it again! There's just so much room for story; they have to make more.

$10 million isn't bad for a film based on a series most people never watched or heard of. I didn't expect much from the first weekend.. It's a really great film and has been getting great reviews. I think word of mouth will carry this movie further.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Box Office Mojo was projecting a $15 million opening weekend gross, so the final numbers really aren't that far off the trajectory.

This coming weekend will really determine how well the film does. As long as there isn't a big drop off (a la Corpse Bride ) then Serenity will perform decently for the duration of its run. And yeah, it's pretty much a given that this thing is a cult hit.

Not sure how many Firefly/Serenity fans have seen this, but there was a viral advertisement series that was leaked on the web over the last few months called the R. Tam Sessions. Won't make much sense to anyone who hasn't seen the series or the movie, but for fan's it's an interesting look at River's fall into psychosis. A fan site collected them and has them available for download, both in their original seperated format and spliced together as one reel. It's a little disturbing, but good stuff.

http://www.session416.com/
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

That was the most satisfying experience I've had in theaters for a very, very long time. I'd only seen a couple episodes of Firefly so I wasn't too familiar with the story, but everything still made sense and was more than enjoyable. I plan on going back several times with my friends.

It also prompted me to run to BestBuy immediately to buy the TV series. It was the last copy they had. I'm curious to see exactly how much the TV DVDs go up in sales this month.

So far, domestically Box Office Mojo states that Serenity is now up to $11,520,665. Overseas, it only lists Australia so far. So in Australia Serenity has made $1,103,054.