Thread: Origins or Dawn of Souls

I personally think there both the same...with tiny differences

Which FF Character Are You?

Second Character: Tidus
    Third Character: Yuffie

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

well the gba version is better right?

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

The GBA has better dialouge, has extra dungeons, and is easier. I prefer it, but they're both good.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Origins is nearer the original FF1 experience. Fifty levels, very little castable items, set stat gains etc. In all honesty it's a more pure form compared to DoS, which by the end of the game turns your fighters into the only decent characters and your mages redundant due to the huge amount of items with high-power spells attached to them. If you're looking for an easy ride then FF1 on GBA is the way to go.

FF2 on the other hand is really almost identical in it's GBA incarnation as it is to it's NES or PSX version. The main difference is it comes with the new dungeon after the end of the "first quest". It also fixes a few bugs such as the infamous select+cancel bug.

I guess if you want a "real" FF1 experience, get Origins. If you want an extended FF2 one, get DoS. Of course I have both versions so I have a choice in the matter.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Select+cancel? What's that do?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that FFI DoS uses an MP based system rather than the "You can only cast X many level Y spells per days."
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Well... Origins is more nifty despite the lack of dungeons...

the GBA version is quite easy and while the enemies and bosses were beefed up, going through the extra dungeons will make even Chaos die in a few shots (1200 every attack and 20000 HP, that's like 5 turns!)

I never played Origins, but FF I&II DoS is very enjoyable

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

I am thoroughly enjoying Dawn of Souls. I recommned you get it, although I have never played Origins (I don't think).

EDIT: Just noticed you got it. Wise choice.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

If you want to truly appreciate FFoS, you need to play the NES version. If you don't shudder when someone mentions "buying 99 heal potions" you simply are not a hardcore FF fan.

*tries to translate sig*

Um... Chiyoga...something...ii, something else, then yo.

Meh, forget it. I've gotta try and learn hiragana and katakana a lot better.

Nice thing about Origins is that you can play it in the easy way or hard way (like the orginal NES version) but with a nicer interface.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Even the harder version is easier in some ways though. For instance, you actually have less of a chance of running into Warmech.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

Which would keep you from getting your ass handed to you, yes. But if you're trying to find the SOB...

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Even the harder version is easier in some ways though. For instance, you actually have less of a chance of running into Warmech.
    I thought FF Origins on Normal difficulty was a lot harder than the NES version. The Ice Cave is a nightmare, the enemies just love ambushing you and killing your party with Fire3 and Bane spells before you get a single move. I never had that kind of problems in NES. Every boss in PSX also has double HP, and they tend to use their most dangerous moves, such as Lich II always starts the boss fight with Flare (Nuke) in PSX. As for WarMech, he wasn't that hard on NES, but in PSX, it takes you hours to even find him because he's such a WarChicken, and when you do, he has double HP and Auto-Regen, so he's a lot harder to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori
    Quote Originally Posted by fireemblem776
    the ps has superior music
    Actually, DoS had supieror music despite its technological inferiorities.
    That's hard to say, IMHO. I mean, the synth quality of PSX's music is clearly better, but I thought the arrangements in the GBA version were done in a better way.

I haven't fully played FF1 DoS yet, so I can't make a final verdict, but I think the DoS version is a lot easier than NES and PSX versions, maybe even too easy. You gain levels really quickly, equipment and spells are cheaper, and you'll have loads of MP. Though there are a few things that make it a bit harder: there seems to be no Mythril/Silver Swords in Elfland, and the stats gained by the party seem to be very random. My White Mage and Black Mage had almost 50 more HP than my Thief and Red Mage at one part, IIRC.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

dawn of souls is better because it has more stuff the more stuff the better and also whats better then taken ff1 with you