Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GIMP help

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default GIMP help

I must say GIMP is amazing!! And free!! No trial!! Well I need help. I wanna make a pictures background transparent (Invinsible) but everytime I use it as a background it just turns black. Wtf. There's a selecion called FG to Transparent and that's what Im trying to use...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Transparency in the Gimp is called "alpha". If you go in the Layers window, and right click the layer and Add Alpha Channel, it will add the ability for that layer to show transparency. Then if you select something with the selection tool and CTRL+X, or Edit+Cut, or use the Eraser tool, it will leave transparency behind. Before adding an alpha channel, it will use the current background color for those things, instead of giving you transparency.

If you're making a new image, you can select the background to be transparent by default, instead of "Background Color" or whatever the default is. Then you don't need to add an alpha channel by hand.

When you save the file and are ready to use it, save it in a format that supports transparency. Your best bet is PNG depending on what you want to use the image for. GIF supports transparency, but not full alpha-transparency (so far as I know); GIF is either transparent or not. JPEG doesn't support transparency at all.

Alpha-transparency (which PNG supports) lets a pixel be, say, greenish blue AND 50% transparent so it tints the background greenish-blue when you view the image on top of another image. Note that Internet Explorer is a broken piece of crap, and can't display images in this format, in case you were thinking of using this for a web site.

If you're going to save the image and work on it again later, then Gimp's native XCF format will let you pick up working from where you left off. Saving in other formats may force you to flatten the file into one layer (PNG for example), or destroy the transparency / reduce the color depth (GIF will probably do this), or reduce the image quality due to lossy compression (JPEG).

Blog Entries

Nah I use Fire Fox...

Blog Entries

Im still having diffuculties. I made the layers transparent but I can't make a picture background transparent. How??

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Prophecy.Crash..
    Im still having diffuculties. I made the layers transparent but I can't make a picture background transparent. How??

Well here you are coupying the picture, and its background color- thats not cool. What you need to do is select the background color (the white or whatever, in the back of thie pic, and delete it. The grey/white squares should show through from the background layer (assuming you have tranparency). That will indicate that part of the pic is then, in effect, transparent.

Bipper

Blog Entries

K more help. For some reason there used to be 3 windows. Now there are only 2. The tools management and the image window. No more "extra" window. The one that manages your pics. Cause I wanna take off the transparency to save my pics on JPG files...

All windows can be opened from file -- dialogs

Blog Entries

Ah. Lemme try this...

Blog Entries

Default GIMP again

How do I save this crap. I want to make a little sig and the damn thing only saves the letters. I say it's because of the border automatically setting to letters but when I put it to full size it just shows the same letters without the rest of the picture...

If it uses layers like Photoshop, try merging all the layers. I don't know though, I'm just guessing.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Blog Entries

Yeah I tried and it seems to work. As a matter of fact. So I don't keep on making threads can you mods let me keep this one while the others get closed?? Not trying to give myself an excuse to double post though...

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your first one wasn't closed, crash. So, I've merged the two threads that you had started on GIMP and yes, please use this thread again for your next question.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Blog Entries

In GIMP, is it possible to Gradient Fill a text?? I know Photo Shop can do it but I'm not sure if GIMP can...

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Okay I've downloaded it now and I'm al confused, I thought it would be simple but even when i click on help it says that the help is not available and check your inmstallation, what now?

Yellow Winged Angel