Thread: [A] Art assigments

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default [A] Art assigments

I'm in Drawing and Painting 1 (it's like, a 2nd Art class. There is Intro To Art, D&P, D&P 2 and AP Art in Senior Year which you need to be recommended into) and every week, we get a new drawing assignment. I really like doing these, it's a good practice. Here are two of mine. What do you think of them?

(The first is darkened in PSP7, the second is the original version of it)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I prefer my second one with the bathroom items because I kinda bent the rules and didn't make a dark background. My teacher insists on a dark background, but those always look so UGLY to me, so mine is ucky in the dinner item drawing. I also have difficulty really pushing darker values into my drawing. Later, I'm going to try and make it darker. But eh, it's only like, the 4th week of school, I'll improve.

Those are pretty neat. What I'd suggest though is you need more contrast between your subject and the background. You seem to be shading too much. I'd make the background fairly dark and the subject fairly light, but thats just me, I don't know how you have been taught to do it. I'd just go with what *feels* the best.

Good luck.

Chaos

I give you stick-pokies!
    Livejournal~Elfwood Gallery~

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thank you. That's pretty much what I'm being taught, along with shading in a way some that my original lines can't be seen, which is actually pretty tricky.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Very nice. I agree with Chaos though regarding contrasts. Also, the shapes are well done, but however, the outlines do give off a "cartoon" look on the objects, unless you're trying to make the objects recognizeable.

Also, to help with the shading, it doesn't really hurt to use a paper towel to blend in the shading so it doesn't give off that scratchy look. And do you have an eraser gum? You can use that as well to lighten your shading.

Some advice: What I usually do is draw the outlines of the objects very lightly. Once I have that done, I shade. Avoid shading around the outlines so you don't have that bold outline look. Your shading should help define the objects, so don't rely on darkening the outlines.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

The shading'd good. man, my art assignments are always theory. You have no idea how much i hate Renoir now!

there's no I in team, but there is in pie, as in meat pie, and meat is an anogram of team

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks guys.

Also, to help with the shading, it doesn't really hurt to use a paper towel to blend in the shading so it doesn't give off that scratchy look. And do you have an eraser gum? You can use that as well to lighten your shading.
    I really want an eraser gum, but my teacher is strongly against that type of shading smudging. He scolds people for it a lot.