Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comics Or Manga?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I would not be too far off the mark to guess that some of the people screaming so eagerly about MANGA haven't read "graphic novels" like Sandman, or others.

I like some of column A, really, and some of column B.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

manga.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

I tend to go by how good the comic is actually is. That said, I would probably chose Western style over Manga, simply because I don't read much manga.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never read a comic in my entire life. Mostly because I see it as all Spiderman, or Superman, and I'm not into that. I'm sure there's more out there, but eh. Sometimes it's cool to be close-minded. Although I'm really, really interested in Sandman; I just haven't remembered to pick it up, or order it yet.

I do like Manga, though.
    --Box Box Box Box

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The US market seems to have been flooded with crappy manga, but, of course, it's had crappy comics for years. I prefer comics for a few reasons. One, I grew up on them, and I love superheros like Spiderman and Batman. Two, I've never seen a manga that can compare the the art and story of some of the more mature, darker graphic novels, such as those done by Frank Miller. The Dark Knight Returns is a gritty look at an older Batman and is absolutely phenomenal. Then you've got some of his other work, such as Sin City, which is also extremely famous. American comics vary greatly, and I haven't seen that in manga. But it's not like I dislike manga--the two I've actually sat down to read, Cowboy Bebop and Berserk, are excellent.

Mixture of the two. At present im working on a comic/manga. It mixes both styles in one (Drawing styles). That would be my favorite type.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never really read a manga before to be honest. Flipped through some in the comic store a few times, but I prefer American comics myself. What can I say, I love all those classic heroes like Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman, etc. I also have to say I prefer the art. I like the art in Manga, don't get me wrong, but American comic art is the stuff that just makes me want to draw. There are a lot of great writers and stories out there as well. I plan on being buried with my copies of Kingdom Come and Marvels, baecause I love them (and Alex Ross' art) so much.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never been fond of most American comics because they tend to be more "super-hero" oriented and the public doesn't take them as seriously as the Japanese do manga (which is an insanely large business in Japan). Manga generally has deeper, more involved plots, and I like that. Plus, they generally explore more genres that interest me.

Manga involves Evangelion.

I like Evangelion

Evangelion>all

.: Manga>American Comics

.: I continue to spend $18.95 on the f@#$ing things

.: I fail at life

both, but I hate it when America produces fake manga styled stuff and claim it be manga. Tokyo Pop is really starting to suck....

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa_Heartillly
    both, but I hate it when America produces fake manga styled stuff and claim it be manga. Tokyo Pop is really starting to suck....
    >>> Do you mean those "Rising Stars of Manga" they publish??
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by black orb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa_Heartillly
    >>> Do you mean those "Rising Stars of Manga" they publish??
    Yeah, I'm sorry, I just don't like the fact that it's fake, it's not manga, just america comics with the anime style that's all.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I love Manga... I was hooked when I read the first FLCL manga...the library down the road is loaded with different kinds, so I don't have to spend my hard-earned money on them. ^_^

Well, some Marvel comics appeal to my tastes a lot. Okay well, maybe not the very newest wannabe-manga style comics, but the bit older ones that have a little roughness to them :P

I like manga a lot, but sometimes it pisses me off that it looks so often so quickly drawn and shabby (okay that depends a lot on the author) and the fact that the majority of japanese manga isn't coloured ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    I've never been fond of most American comics because they tend to be more "super-hero" oriented and the public doesn't take them as seriously as the Japanese do manga (which is an insanely large business in Japan). Manga generally has deeper, more involved plots, and I like that. Plus, they generally explore more genres that interest me.
    That's a sad fact. I remember reading somewhere that japanese anime and manga had the possibility to develop into more of an adult sort of entertainment (NOT hentai, but the philosophical and deeper side) whereas in America and most of western Europe the Cold War sort of prevented this developement to be made. Therefore, comics were mostly made for children's entertainment (even though it's hard to imagine some kids understanding the deeper meanings inside some Marvel comics, for example). Now I don't remember exactly the point that was made about the Cold War but I do remember that it made a lot of sense to me :P
    Last edited by Rini; 10-08-2005 at 07:07 PM.

Fevered lovers and austere thinkers
    Love equally, in their ripe season
    Cats powerful and gentle, pride of the house
    Like them they feel the cold, like them are sedentary

- Charles Baudelaire
    I'm listening to...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    I generally don't care what they're called, or where they are from, as long as I like them.
    And this is all that matters.