Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it good?

Is it good?

Well i just recently purcased ff ix off of ebay. I hasnt come in yet so i wanna no if i wasted my money? Is it good? Or should i have gotten ff viii as many other ppl have suggested? I just recently got hooked on ff so i only have x, x-2 and xi. I want to eventually get most of the serise. was ix a good choice?

It is excellent though I personally prefer 7 and 8. It has somewhat more comic graphics and a fun feel to it. The battle system is class based, each character has there basic job though some characters can be good in multiple areas. The story is excellent and while the characters weren't great in my opinion Vivi was amazing. It's a good length rpg, maybe 50-70 hours your first time through, and possibly longer if you haven't played many rpg's. It's an enjoyable game that get's less attention then I believe it should. I'd say it's slightly worse than FFX but definitely far better then FFX-2. It's strengths in my eyes are an excellent villian, storyline, and if it fits you a great fun feel. Oh yeah, wonderful FMV's.

Edit: You should remember it's a ps1 game, so if you haven't played ps1 games before the graphics will be weaker though I love the style.

Thanks Jess1 for the awesome sig!!!
    Heh, heh, heh
    Join my latest RP, Magi of Greece, http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=77394

Ok thx! Um.. one more thing (plz only let raskerino answer this (he rox!)) is the ending good? Dont tell me what it is but is it good? The endings are ususally how i base a game.(weird i no) And are there subtitles at the end? It makes it kind of awkward when there are. And do they have seens with real time graphics like ffx? Thx,
    cody.

PS (this might sound weird but what is FMV'S? soryy im new at the rpg thing only have x x-2 and xi so what is an FMV?)

y do people constantly have before-buying issues with ff9!?

its a good game
    just like the other FF

Quote Originally Posted by tidus_rox
    Ok thx! Um.. one more thing (plz only let raskerino answer this (he rox!)) is the ending good? Dont tell me what it is but is it good? The endings are ususally how i base a game.(weird i no) And are there subtitles at the end? It makes it kind of awkward when there are. And do they have seens with real time graphics like ffx? Thx,
    cody.

PS (this might sound weird but what is FMV'S? soryy im new at the rpg thing only have x x-2 and xi so what is an FMV?)
    raskerino could u plz answer this? thx

FMV=Full Motion Video (i think)

An FMV is a full motion video as GBM said, it's basically a scene, (this game has beautiful ones including Bahamut).

The ending varies for different people who played it. I enjoyed the beginning of it a lot (mainly because I loved the main enemy) and the rest was good but really based on how much you like the two main characters involved. The majority of people that I've seen thought it was excellent, but the main heroine of this game didn't interest me so I would say the ending was pretty good overall but I prefer something like FFX's or FFVIII's. However if you really liked the main hero and heroine it would be a very strong ending. But one thing to understand is it is overall much more light hearted as is the ending.

he rox!

And I know what you mean about ending being really important. They give the wonderful feel that you'll remember afterwards if done well.

Heh, heh, heh
    Join my latest RP, Magi of Greece, http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=77394

its a basic Cinderella ending
    that makes us all either go:
    OMG! DID YOU SEE THAT! THAT WAS SOOOOOO CUTE!!!!
    or
    that was the cheesiest $#!t i have ever seen

so it all depends on you

I don't think it was cheesy because I liked what they did with the final boss and with Vivi a lot, however I don't want to spoil anything here.

Also if you like amazing ending an amazing one occurs at the end of FFVIII, it's one of the longest (probably longest in an FF), and in my opinion the most beautiful as well as having a wonderful feel for every one of the characters. The gameplay to that is a little confusing to some though, it's more of a love or hate game then FFIX which is more consistently liked, and is loved less.

Another great ending (imo) is the one at the end of Shadow Hearts: Covenant (you don't need to play the prequel to understand it). Also being able to watch all the wonderful scenes again after beating it is great. I'll stop boosting it now...

Heh, heh, heh

i didnt say it was cheesy
    just some might find it cheesy
    but hey it was a good ending Tidus_rox dude

Ok well if u were to compare the 2 witch has the beter ending viii or ix? And how long do u think viii's ending acctually is? I love long endings! Thx,
    cody
    PS witch one do u think has the better fmv's? thx!

I'm pretty sure VIII is easily the longest in an FF. FFVIII's imo is the best in any FF by a decent amount so there's no competition against anything. As you might be able to tell I'm one of the lovers of it.

Heh, heh, heh

same

great graphics, great ending that makes u think, with Eyes on me playing its just magical

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I adore FF IX. It's excellent both for nostalgic and for everyone else. It's got the best graphics a Playstation Final Fantasy could ever have, good music, nice characters, a lot of humour, and a linear but rich storyline. You won't regret your money.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's easily my second favorite in the series. It surpasses the other PSX FF's by a fairly wide margin for me. Great gameplay, graphics, story, and the characters are some of the best in the series. I found almost all of them more compelling and likeable than in most other FF's. And since you asked, I thought the ending was great.