Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Music

Default Progressive Music

Does anyone here like Progressive music?

I like progressive trance, but im a bit skeptical as to whether progressive house is any good. Sometimes I think its ok, other times I just think its crappy.

~##

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nod
    I like progressive trance, but im a bit skeptical as to whether progressive house is any good.
    When I saw Progressive, I was immediately thinking prog rock like Rush, Tool, etc. But things like progressive trance have me thinking we're not on the same page here.

Um, Im guessing that progressive trance/house is in the same vein as progressive rock.

Im just wondering about peoples thoughts on the whole 'progressive' thing. I confess, I have not heard any progressive rock, but in reference to dance music:

'Normal' trance consists of 16 bar phrases, normally building to a breakdown, after which the main theme kicks back in. The music kinda peaks and troughs.
    'Progressive' Trance doesnt have these peaks and troughs, it remains fairly constant, with instruments being added in here and there; a good example is Sasha's 'Xpander'. I guess the build ups are longer, and less instant than those delivered in 'normal' trance/

I think thats explained it ok......but back to the point, what do people think of progressive music in general?

~##

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Isn't Coheed and Cambria considered progressive rock? They're awesome.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not really into dance music myself. Some of it I find interesting as a drummer since there can be some pretty cool beats.

As far as explaining progressive rock since you haven't heard it: people's definitions vary. Some see it as rock music with some pretty technical and complex musicianship. So bands like Rush, Dream Theater, Tool, and others often fit that bill. That's probably the most common view of progressive rock. Some people (myself included) tend to extend the definition to pretty much anything that's boundry pushing. Basically, bands that make me say, "I've never heard anything like this before" would fall under progressive as well in my opinion.

With that out of the way, I love progressive rock. I think it's partly due to being a musician. The things I can't play, or can't play easily, and which I've never heard before interest me more than the things that are second nature.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

It starts nowhere, it goes nowhere, and it ends nowhere. It's the musical equivalent of midgies.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

If there's one genre that I will admit to being a fan of it's progressive rock.

And jazz.

Anyway, Yes and Procol Harum are two of my alltime favorite bands. A
    while ago I had no idea what progressive rock was. I'd heard the name but
    never really figured out what it included. Then I kept finding that my
    favorite songs on each album I'd listen to by any artist were almost always
    the longest ones. I love long, intricate and complex songs that tell some
    type of story (whether through lyrics or simply the music itself). Then I
    realized that this is sort of the basis of progressive rock.

.opt

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the progressive music you get in video games
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

i like wishbone ash, their about the only proggresive band i like, ive seen them once nad im gonna see them again next week, they rock

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    Isn't Coheed and Cambria considered progressive rock? They're awesome.
    There are whole message boards devoted to discussing that.

I like a bit of Dream Theater, that's about it.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

does W.A.S.P. count as progressive music?

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

^ No.

I am a huge fan of Progressive bands, mainly Tiamat, Green Carnation, Pain of Salvation, Spock's Beard, The Flower kings, and Nightingale.

The music they put out is so much more meaningful, sound wise than most genres.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

progressive trance doesn't sound anything like prog rock to me. I think you are all talking about something completely different.

gdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsg

I like Tangerine Dream although they're not rock. Rush is prety awesome as well. I also like progressive metal like Cynic, Watchtower, Fates Warning, Coroner, DT, Psychotic Waltz...tons of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Hope
    I am a huge fan of Progressive bands, mainly Tiamat, Green Carnation, Pain of Salvation, Spock's Beard, The Flower kings, and Nightingale.

The music they put out is so much more meaningful, sound wise than most genres.
    Ahh, Tiamat. Wildhoney/Gaia is absolutely killer. And I've always wanted to get into Green Carnation/In the Woods... .

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think I could write a post long enough to describe how much I love some of the music within this genre and sub-genre. I pretty much enjoy the period between In the Court of the Crimson King (1969 -- although there are clear forerunners, like Zappa, Procol Harum; I've heard people argue that Miles Davis was prog) and The Wall (1979). The 80's prog scene doesn't really do it for me. I actually enjoy the pop music from the 80's (stuff like Peter Gabriel) than the Neo Progressive as it's called.