Thread: SLI 6600GT over 1 6800GT

Default SLI 6600GT over 1 6800GT

I'm building a computer for a friend and this is all in his best interest when it comes to price and performance because he's a gamer. I was wondering if two GeForce 6600GT 128mb GDDR3 cards would over power a single 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 card. I don't have any experience with dual video cards so if any one knows anything about what I'm asking, I'd appreicate the knowledge.
    How I mine for fish!?

Which FF Character Are You?

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Yes. Check the benchmarks here for a good comparison:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...l#3d_mark_2005

thanks for that link, I'll take it into consideration. He may not want two 6600GTs. He was thinking of getting another 6800GT later on.
    How I mine for fish!?

Which FF Character Are You?

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Before you buy the cards also consider what else will be coming out, when it is coming out and how much of a price drop/difference it will cause with the older cards.

I have had 1 6600gt for a year now and I play games like Half-Life 2 with everything up no problem.

Ya, I have a 6800GT and I can run just about anything in max quality with will anisotropic filtering and antialiasing without much trouble at all.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The 6600GT suffers at higher resolutions with AA on. It's considered a low mid-range card now. The 6800GT still pretty much runs anything with no problems as long as you have a gig of RAM and a good proc. I wouldn't go with SLI in the 6 series only because the 7 series is eventually going to replace it. Your friend might want to look into a 7800GT. You can usually find one for around $400.

What proc do you have, Samuraid?

Pentium D 830

(Athlon X2 would have been my choice had it been actually a reasonable cost at the time, but the D830 still performs excellently)

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

FX > X2 for now. Nothing, but pro software utilizes true multitasking. The FX-57 is a beast.

True, but I am a "pro software"/heavy multitasker, so it was either the dual core or the dual CPU route. There's nothing that beats encoding an audio/video stream at 6GHz. (10 fps faster than it plays in realtime)

Ya, for pretty much any single thread uses, the FX series is amazing.