Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PHP download

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like <a href="http://www.easyphp.org/?lang=en">EasyPHP</a> when I want to run a quick and dirty site on a windows machine.

And then there is Death

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I installed PHP but how do I use it?? Do I <I>have</I> to install it just to use it?? Or why can't I just use Notepad...

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

PHP isn't like HTML. You cannot just view what it looks like in a browser unless you have the PHP software installed and configured first.

Once it's installed and configured, then you can view the output of PHP pages in your browser.

Blog Entries

Then what's all of this apache server crap for??

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

The apache server crap actually allows you to serve web pages on your local computer.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I find it easier to pay other people for this sort of thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraid
    The apache server crap actually allows you to serve web pages on your local computer.
    Before I make another thread, In HTML. How do you seperate the menu and the main body?? Like here. Here's what Im <I>trying</I> to work on. You know how EoFF's front site has all of those links in the menu?? How do I seperate those from the body so it won't go under it. And for the record go FMP fans...

Default The worst tutorial evar, but I hope it helps

Crash, Learn CSS. This is what you are looking for. IT is called site Layout.

Lets make a quick crappy layout

Code:

&lt;html&gt;
      &lt;head&gt;
        &lt;title&gt; Crash.RandomProphesy's HomePage &lt;/title&gt;
     &lt;link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="defaults.css" /&gt;
     &lt;/head&gt;

&lt;body&gt;
        &lt;div id="links"&gt;
             &lt;li class="link"&gt; &lt;a href="#"&gt; Home &lt;/a&gt; &lt;/li&gt;
             &lt;li class="link"&gt; &lt;a href="http://www.eyesonff.com"&gt;Eoff! &lt;/a&gt; &lt;/li&gt;
             &lt;li class="link"&gt; &lt;a href="href://www.google.com"&gt;GOOGLE &lt;/a&gt; &lt;/li&gt;
        &lt;/div&gt;

&lt;div id="content"&gt;
            Welcome to my Page.  I, Crash.Whatever made this all from scratch, like a real pro.  Some day I will be as good as Dr Unne.  What!? you never heard of Dr Unne... well whatever.

Keep typing some other crap, until you have filled the page with all the information that you feel is so very important that everyone should need to know.  Bipper is damn cool.

&lt;/div&gt;

&lt;/body&gt;
     &lt;/html&gt;
    Save this as index.html.

This is your BASIC web page. Don't worry much about the class and id properties in some tags, this has to do with how CSS knows what to do to what. Right now, the page will look like hell. Just two block level elements laying on the page. Well, this is where CSS comes in!

This line:
    Code:
     &lt;link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="defaults.css" /&gt;
    points to another file that will be read. So make a new file, and name it default.css. Make damn sure you save it alongside index.html.

Code:
    /* CSS Document */

/* ------------------------------- formatting ----------------------------- */

/*Globals*/
    body 
    {

font: 30px verdana;
    	font-color: #66CCFF;
    	background-color: #060e9d;
    }

/*IDs*/
    #content
    {
       positron: absolute;
       top: 50 px;
       left: 100px;

border-size:4px;
      border-style:double;
      background-color:#003366;
    }

#links
    {
          positron: absolute;
       top: 50 px;
       left: 0px;

border-size:4px;
      border-style:double;
      background-color:#003366;
    }

.link
    {
          font: 14px verdana;
    	font-color: ##FFFF33;
    }
    This is CSS my friend. Basically anything inbetween /* and */ is commented out. In otherwords, the browser will ignore it. This helps us make notes, and comments to people whom look at the code.

Ok, now an ID (think of an ID like an object name) is denominated by the #. We made a div and set it's ID = Content right? Well now that will tell the Browser to look for a description of ID in the CSS file. It finds #ID {... this will set all ther properties inbetween the opening { and the closing } to the div. I set some basic ones in there.

We also made another div with an ID of links. We set different properties here. Basically the properties that I set to these two divs ( basically boxes) are to draw the box at an absolute position. The position draws from one point (the top left) and basically makes a box. That box will snug to the information in the div like a table would. You can set height: 100px; to make the box 100 pixels high, if you want it to be bigger.

Now you had seen a class in there two. The class is named links. Basically a class works like and ID, but can be used on multiple tags. Where as an Id can only be used on one. So we can say that the class link will look like the way the properties in the CSS page want to make it look.

that should get you somewhat started I wrote this in a hurry, but it should work. Let me know how it goes, after you have played with it a bit.

For a great list of all the properties that CSS entails, check out: http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_ref...p?output=print

If anyone wants to add, or correct anything i screwed up, go right ahead

As far as php goes. PHP is basically written by you, much like a web pages is. But the PHP you write, will basically make a webpage that the server can see.

So it works like this... User types in www.google.com/index.php... PHP grabs what information it can, like say it looks into a MySql Database to get a picture, and then makes a webpage that will display this picuture. All the person whom typed in google.com/index.php sees is the web page with the picture that the PHP coding made on the fly. This is what dynamic means.

Since your a video gamer, I can say its like basically playing a video game. The php is equal to the game. It takes the players actions (pressing the jump button) and makes somthing happen (the character jumps). HTML would be more like an FMV without PHP. All you could do is watch the same thing over and over again. That is a crude, but effective example.. I hope

Bipper
    Last edited by bipper; 11-02-2005 at 02:23 PM.