View Poll Results: How do you feel about abortion?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • abortion is good

13 29.55%
  • abortion is very wrong

11 25.00%
  • no opinion

20 45.45%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Abortion!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Then why not give it up for adoption, so parents who actually want a child could raise it to a normal life?
    Because childbirth is painful? I don’t know, I don’t have a uterus…

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nix the targetted sarcasm in this thread if you want to continue discussing the issue.

My personal stance on abortion is that it's wrong. But there are a lot of wrong things in the world, and I can't fix them. No one can fix irresponsible people, violent people, or selfish people.

However, I do feel the father's rights should be included when discussing the possibility of abortion. Contrary to popular belief, it's NOT just part of a woman's body. It takes a partnership to create the lump of cells, so I think the other half of that partnership desrves to have their ideas and opinions heard.

Secondly, I think Planned Parenthood needs to be monitored very carefully. Procedure states that a woman is to be told of all possible alternatives to abortion, including financial aid, free parenting courses, adoption etc. However, there are many Planned Parenthood nurses who have bypassed all of that and go straight into what an abortion is. I don't know this from personal experience, but I do know this from the experience of someone very, very close to me.

Finally, what I believe most powerfully of all, is that abortion isn't a topic you can just see in black and white. To be honest, regardless of what side the people in this thread have taken, they have NOT been completely black and white. Everyone has included the shades of grey, and I think that should be a big hint to all of us that this issue is far more complicated than morality and necessity.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    By the same "logic", mentally handicapped people have no rights, either.
    If those handicapped people have the capacity of a blade of grass then they are not going to live long either. The whole Terri Schiavo thing would never have been an issue if they didn't have the money to pay for her to be alive as long as she was because with out money the hospitals and government really could have given a damn and she would have been cut off and died.

The only reason I brought her into the situation is because she is the most well known handicapped blade of grass we all know.

I'm all for post-natal abortions for certain people. ?

Seriously though. In the first term, the brain is not fully developed and is not able to survive outside the mother. It is a parasite, basically. I see nothing wrong with abortions in this stage, plus the stem cells are extremely valuable. (Yes, I know they can be created in a lab, but the more the merrier.)
    lol signature

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Stem cells can also be taken from blood in the umbilical cord after birth.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    Stem cells can also be taken from blood in the umbilical cord after birth.
    Yeah, but no use letting the dead embryo go to waste, right?
    lol signature

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

How I see it, to go into more detail, is that once the baby is developed, even slightly, it's developed. More likely than not, it will be born and it will become an adult. I would worry, what if, just what if, that baby would have been the person to cure cancer/AIDs/diabetes, or would have been an amazing musician, or even would have been someone's soul mate. You'd be depriving the world of someone who could be potentially amazing. They could be the person who says one nice thing to someone who is just about to blow their head off because they think no one cares, or they could be someone's parent. It's really a big "what if" and alternate demension thing that makes me really wonder.

Plus, personally, I don't think it's that hard to put up the kid for adoption. MAYBE if you're a 14 year old girl that was raped, I could see why you would opt for abortion (still though, I wonder...), but if it was your own dumb mistake, put the kid up for adoption. But, I dunno, like foa said, I'm very grey with this topic.

Why is this even in GC anyway? xD Is this part of a secret thought provoking thread scheme in GC that the mods coined due to Big D and his threads?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can understand why a women would want an abortion if she was raped. For all other reasons, no I can't understand.

HI GEORGE I AM! OK!

If you were raped or something
    IM 100% sure that child will NOT have a loving family
    being who the father is
    so in that case 100% for it

Quote Originally Posted by FFX_fanatiq
    If you were raped or something
    IM 100% sure that child will NOT have a loving family
    being who the father is
    so in that case 100% for it
    Not everybody who got pregnant from a rape grows to hate their own child. Some are above that. So that doesn't mean the child wouldn't have a loving family, as the mother could move past the rape and raise the child herself, or with an adoptive father.

Not to mention, that's why they have a process called ADOPTION. If you don't want your baby, for whatever reason, you can give it up, and let a mother (and father) who DO want the child to have it.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Why, may I ask, would you want to bring another kid into the world just to throw it up for adoption? Until the child is adopted it'll be in that horrendous system (which, mind you, I was in for eight years of my life), and frankly, I think killing the kid would be a favor over that.

Abortion saves children from having to go through the misery and suffering that is life. Abortion is a gift.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Wow...ok...thanks for that. Talk about unusual use of the word 'gift'.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Honestly, I have kind of a mixed opinion on the subject:

Say, I impregnated my girlfriend. I would want the child to be put up for adoption. But since she is the one bearing the burden of pregnancy, I would agree and support her in the decision of an abortion.

However, in extenuating circumstances, such as rape, and drug abuse during pregnancy, I see no problem with it. While a child is a human being, it's usually born out of some type of love. If someone were to be raped, the child could cause psychological trauma to the mother, probably for the rest of her life. If the mother of the child was heavily into drugs, causing serious health problems for the child, I think it would be better for it to not be brought into the world with the burden of a terrible sickness or dysfunction in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    (on a side note, if one were to assume the likelihood that more liberals than conservatives have abortions done, which I don't think should be much of a stretch to assume, think about the number of eligible voters for the Democratic party who have been murdered...enough to elect Gore in 2000? More than likely.)
    Oh, but we didn't need them. Gore won that election anyway.

I think the only situation a woman should be given the choice to have an abortion is if she has been raped and become pregnant. It's not fair at all to expect a woman who has just been raped to bring up her rapist's child. I think first she should be encouraged to look at the other options -which are few- like adoption before she chooses abortion, but I would not condemn her for aborting the child if thats what she wanted.

Other than that, I don't agree with abortion. You get pregnant, you and the male involved have to deal with it. I say 'you and the male involved' because like they say, it takes two to tango.