Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Cards Exchange

Default Christmas Cards Exchange

SUPER NOTE: PM ALL ADDRESSES TO RSL
    SUPER NOTE2: The deadline to sign up is Sunday, November 27th at 10 PM CST.

I know some of you remember this from last year. I made a Christmas Mailing List and sent it out to all participants.

Fortunately I got cards from all 16 members on the list...though some were a few weeks past Yule time...which I forgave.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to manage the list this year since I'm taking some rather tough theoretical math courses, my job is killing me, and I have tutor responsibilities. Plus I am off to Australia in a couple of weeks anyways. So I won't be participating in this either, which will draw some cheers. I think I did a decent job managing the list, so this is an obvious sign that managing the list is pretty easy.

And in all honesty, the best gifts I received last year were these cards.

The whole premise of this idea was that we can get some EoFF members "closer" together. Although none of us are rich enough to buy decent presents for everyone here (that's why we're all here), we can at least send a card out. Dollar Stores have Christmas cards for dirt cheap (20 in a box), but it's the thought that counts. I was touched by all the personal messages last year and I still have the cards, even self-made ones from KB to naked elves from ShlupQuack, I kept them. Here are some quick "rules" I made last year:

NOTE: The new manager does not have to follow these rules, these were my personal rules.

1) If you are added to the list, please send a card to everyone on the list. Domestic US postage is 37 cents, airmail out of state is 80 cents. For other countries, if you can provide postage for your own country it would be nice. Everyone deserves a card, even if it's a sheet of paper with a personal message. Last year I was pretty strict on people sending to everyone on the list (though I eventually eased back), because if you sent a card it would be nice to get one back. But I realize some international folks will have to mail quite a bit out to the US, costing them a bit of dough. If you feel you are a bit low on money, but would like to participate, please tell the manager. Try to randomize who you send to. Say there are 40 participants but you only have enough for 20...so maybe just draw a number and such. Picking who you want to send a card too isn't the Christmas spirit! You should be generous to all neighbors.
    2) The manager should send the christmas list out 2 weeks prior to December 25th to ensure all people have time to get their cards to people on time. If anyone needs to have the list sooner, send a PM or email to the manager.
    3) The addresses should be sent to one person and one person only. This is to avoid spam and other misuses of addresses. The manager should never give out an address to anyone NOT on the list.
    4) As soon as the addresses are sent out and the cards are received, it is up to everyone who has the mailing list to delete them in a proper manner (there should be no reason to keep them after getting the cards). This is to ensure the safety and well-being of all those involved.
    5) The most important rule: Have fun. If you aren't having fun doing this, you probably are in it for the wrong reason...well, maybe not...but most likely you are.
    6) This really isn't a rule, but if a participant joins usually what I do is list the alias of who joined and their country to let people calculate postage. I would update this on the first post or something to let people know where they could see it without browsing through the entire thread. So let people know where you will update the list.
    7) Also, no e-cards. There's still a sense of tradition that I like to keep rather than just sending an e-card. I know everyone knew that last year, but just in case.

Lastly, here is the link to last year's Mailing List: <a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=52636&highlight=Christmas">
    http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=52636&highlight=Christmas</a>

Can a mod sticky this? If it's too early, don't worry about it...but can someone manage the Christmas mailing list this year?
    Last edited by Dingo Jellybean; 11-03-2005 at 02:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Whoa, a bit early.

...Count on me, man!

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can manage the list for you if you wish, Dingo. I'm here every day.

I can help manage affairs as well, so let me know, RSL.

edit: OH WHAT THE HELL WHY DOES RSL GO LOWERCASE NOW

edit again: RSL

<b>Do not go around the rsl filter</b> ---rsl

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

we have an RSL filter? lol.

last time i sent postcards to eoffers i didnt get any thank you notes!

Default hee

Aww this is really sweet. I'd love to take part.

Articles

Just so you know, I've read they're planning on raising postage to 39 cents. I thought that might be relevant.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    Whoa, a bit early.

...Count on me, man!
    Me too!

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Blog Entries

Oh, yeah... and I just though I'd mention that I may or may not be able to send to everyone depending on how many who actually signs up. I'd love to be able to send to everyone, but I'm currently a bit low on money. Oh, well... we'll see. I've still got almost 2 months to go.

In case I didn't make it clear before, you can count me in.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would also be more than happy to take over this list for you, Dingo, but I don't think I can fight rsl for it.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Thanks Leeza, but he asked first. I was just going to give up the spot to the next person.

So RSL will be the manager next year too, if he decides to keep the spot.

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, so anyone feel free to PM me your mailing address if you want to participate.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sounds like a good time.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

What a cool idea. I wish I could join in.