Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: >> Favorite Director..

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    A whole lot of people call Quentin Tarantino "the greatest filmmaker of all time", or "the best thing to ever happen to film." Thus, he is most definately overrated. I fail to see how making decent movies that reference great old films by much greater filmmakers makes you "the best thing to ever happen to film."

Oh, and I'm also very very familiar with what being a director entails.
    It's all about the opinion, man.

Fevered lovers and austere thinkers
    Love equally, in their ripe season
    Cats powerful and gentle, pride of the house
    Like them they feel the cold, like them are sedentary

- Charles Baudelaire
    I'm listening to...

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    It's hard to respect anybody in any sort of artform when there is so much crap put out. That said, I'm sure a handful of directors have talent. I like Ridley Scott.
    I really liked Ridley Scott but then he had to go make Kingdom of Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    Overrated? How do you rate someone if you don't actually know what their job entails? Hell, I'm a film major and I still don't understand all the intricacies of being a director. The magnitude and scope of their job is mind-blowing. They tell a story through everything from angles, perspective, framing, editing, pace, rhythm, dialogue, performance, visual design, literary design, music, and all the while having a persistence of vision that brings it all together. That's creative genius.

I think directors are vastly underrated by the average movie-goer.
    Tarantinos movies arent as good as people say they are, thats all I meant......
    Although I enjoyed Reservoir Dogs somewhat....

Steven Soderbergh or something. Is he even a director? Is that how you even spell it? Meh. Tim Burton is good too.

Tim Burton made Edward scissor hands, therefor he is great .....

David Lynch, pretty weird but has an interesting surreal imagery almost like dream states

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Richard Kelly did an amazing job with Donnie Darko, so he's up there on my list.

I love Tarantino's style, but of the movies I've seen by him, the only one(s) that told a competent story were Kill Bill volume 1 and 2. The other (okay, so I've only seen Pulp Fiction) is easily the most overrated film ever, since even though it oozes with style, it just doesn't form a coherent whole at the end.

And yes, I do get the time aspect of it. It's not that the stories don't tie together; it's that it's three stories tied together that have nothing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    Richard Kelly did an amazing job with Donnie Darko, so he's up there on my list.
    Yes, and I'm eagerly awating his upcoming "Southland Tales", if you couldn't see already.

My other favorites would have to include:

Kevin Smith
    Stanley Kubrick
    David Fincher
    Terry Gilliam
    Wes Anderson
    Speilberg
    Sofia Copolla
    Tim Burton

george lucas
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ridley Scott is pretty damn good, I think. I loved Kingdom of Heaven. ;D

But Peter Jackson is, in my opinion, the best. From what I've seen. Watching all of those documentaries on TV, or DVD...wow. This guy is insane. And genius.
    --Box Box Box Box

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kubrick was amazing. My favorite film by him was easily A Clockwork Orange, because he does so well at socially conditioning the audience to sympathize with the main character. It's like he made interactive films that brought the audience in as a piece of the theme.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    Kubrick was amazing. My favorite film by him was easily A Clockwork Orange, because he does so well at socially conditioning the audience to sympathize with the main character. It's like he made interactive films that brought the audience in as a piece of the theme.
    Yes, so very true. I can't help but to think what A.I. would have been like had he lived long enough to direct it. I'm sure it would have blown Speilberg's already great version away.

*sigh* At least we have his great legacy to cherish

Quentin Tarantino is up there, most definitely. Though not because I'm one of his complete ass-kissers that are in abundance. I enjoy the references, and theres something to his style that makes the movies highly enjoyable. The only film of his I've not viewed was Jacie Brown, since I've had friends tell me it's his worst film. I'll have to check it out for myself one day. (For the record, I've found Reservior Dogs pretty bland at first, but it grew on me after a second viewing.)

Peter Jackson isn't bad, but I'll hold off on saying he's good until I view some his other earlier works. He did an awesome job on LoTR.

I'm slowly becoming a fan of Robert Rodregiez. I've seen From Dusk Till Dawn and Once Upon A Time In Mexico, and I loved the style in which those films were made.

the remake of king kong,done by peter jackson, is coming out soon. hope its as good as Lord of the Rings
    Signature removed for exceeding the 250 pixel height limit (including text)

~Void

Quote Originally Posted by Del Mordor
    Steven Soderbergh or something. Is he even a director? Is that how you even spell it? Meh. Tim Burton is good too.
    Yeah, he's a director, but I think he's produced better films than he's directed. Naqoyqatsi is probably the coolest thing he's ever been involved in. Although I think he directed Ocean's Eleven and I had a lot of fun watching that one the first time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz
    Tim Burton made Edward scissor hands, therefor he is great .....
    That's honestly pretty much the last thing he made that I particularly enjoyed. The Nightmare Before Christmas was alright, but it's been blown way out of proportion lately. All of his recent films I've basically really disliked. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was an abomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridFan
    David Lynch, pretty weird but has an interesting surreal imagery almost like dream states
    Yeah, I'm a huge huge David Lynch fan. What can I say, I love crazy weird films that are done this well. My favorites are probably Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Blue Velvet, and the Lost Highway in no particularly order.

<FONT size="5" color="RED">let's rock</FONT>
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    I'm also a big fan of Kubrick's films. 2001 is my favorite film from him, followed closely by Eyes Wide Shut.