Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Black Metal

Banned

Cannibal Corpse is death metal, not black metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Hope
    Dornenreich
    Yay for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    Black metal is too silly for me to take seriously. I mean, triple kick pedals, G-tuned guitars and guys going "boahboahboahboahboah" etc. etc. and talking about Satan's evil barbed wire fallous? I fall over laughing most of the time.
    Oh, Jesus. Do you realise how technical death metal is?

The drumming is very complex, & not all death metal bands tune their guitars down that low. In fact not many bands tune down to G. The only band I've heard of tuning down that low is Sunn 0)) & they are doom metal. Decapitated are one of the best death metal bands about [In my opinion] & they only tune down one whole step to D & they sound more brutal than some other death metal bands [Their complexity in their songs is unmatched by a lot of bands of any style.] like Nile for example. & Nile tune down to A. Fair enough for the vocals, but that's how it's meant to sound. You're not going to have some opera vocals in it are you? Or Britrock style singing. & a lot of death metal bands sing about politics, not things to do with the Occult. You cleary don't have a clue. Research into something before you try & ridicule it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc
    Is black metal different from death metal?
    Why are metal bands so popular all of a sudden?
    Yes. Although thay are both extreme genres, they are similar in ways i.e. they both contain blast beats [Drums], though their complexitites are very different. Black metal music styles can be traced to have classical elements in it. Type in death metal & black metal on seperate pages on Wikipedia & you'll get a nice glance at the differences.

& metal bands aren't popular all of a sudden, I've just been making threads to keep metal discussion continuous [Along with other people.]

Quote Originally Posted by v.e.n.o.m.
    The only Black metal i like is Slayer...............do they count as black metal?
    Thrash Metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    Slayer is more Speed/Thrash Metal than Black Metal. Black Metal are a cross between Gothic and Speed. As I described, it usually involves double kick pedals, very low tuned guitars, and somebody grunting into a microphone. Band's I'd consider to be Black Metal are people like Ackercock, Cannibal Corpse and Emperor.

Here's the Wiki entry.
    Not all black metal is fast though.

Akercocke & Cannibal Corpse are more death metal. Although Akercocke have elements of black metal in their music, they are more suited to death. Cannibal Corpse are like a fake death metal. They make good music but ridicule death metal. & as for Emperor, yes they are a black metal band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rini
    Gosh, people, you're so mixed up with these genres :/ Oh well, not that it matters so much, I'm just a busybody or something xD
    You've gave a better overview of the differences though, thanks.
    Last edited by Devourment; 11-04-2005 at 03:48 PM.

gdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsgdsg

The best black metal band is Venom and they aren't even black metal. Celtic Frost rules but they aren't black metal at all. Bathory's albums (after under the sign) are pretty cool, but the old ones are awful.

Seriously, I don't care about the "Grim and frostbitten wolf's inverted stare necrolord." Its so laughably stupid. It also all rips off of darkthrone, who sucked anyway. Or it rips off from Emperor who were actually somewhat good.

EDIT:
    I suggest everyone participating in this thread to watch this music video by immortal.
    http://www.immortal.battlegrim.net/d...ntermoon.shtml

This thread really shows the ludicracy of all these mronic sub-genres and sub-sub-genres. WHen you can't even decide what's death metal, what's black metal and what's thrash metal, don't you realise the whole thing's a bit screwy? Why can't it just be metal?

Banned

Let's not turn this into another thread where people who dislike metal complain about not understanding the differences between the different genres. Thrash metal, black metal and death metal shouldn't be labelled as just metal because they do not sound the same. If you don't understand the differences between the genres that's your problem. You should either educate yourself on the topic or just not comment on it.

Do Hammerfall count as black metal? no this isnt me being stupid im serious.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Banned

Hammerfall is power metal.

whatever happened to just calling it heavy metal?

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

That died when Metal bands diverged into trying new and different things, and the sounds grew apart but are only really held together by heavy guitars and generally faster or just more technical drumming than simple 4/4 rock beats.
    There are clear differences between all the sub genres of metal, but that doesn't mean there aren't crossovers, or bands that take metal and make something altogether different by including other genres (classical, jazz, rap, whatever) with it. You just have to have a broad view of rock/metal music and be able to discern what sounds like what. It's easier to find music you like when you can look for bands in genres you already enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by v.e.n.o.m.
    whatever happened to just calling it heavy metal?
    That never happened. There are different genres for a reason, because they sound different. You have to listen to each genre so you know. Power metal is power metal because of the lyrics, the way the guitars are played & the bands image. You don't get people dressed in black leather with studs on singing drum 'n' bass do you? That's why there are reasons for their being different genres. Although to some people it may sound the same, you can't comment until you've heard the different genres. Although a lot of genres borrow techniques from other genres, there is still a lot of difference.

jrgen, I looked it up - wikipedia on black metal:
    Black metal is a musical genre which emerged in the early 1980s predating the great expansion of heavy metal 'extreme' genres. It evolved out of thrash metal, like death metal.

There are two views on the genre. One views black metal as a very specific form of music that must adhere to a particular 'style' in order for it to be a part of the genre; while the second considers the lyrical and philosophical/political ideology of the music (likely to be heavily inspired from Friedrich Nietzsche) to take more precedence in defining the genre itself, rather than 'style'.

The main originators of (the first wave of) black metal are bands like Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost and Mayhem. The name of the movement comes from Venom's album Black Metal (a pun on the term "Black Magic") and it can first be seen in its mature form with the recordings of Bathory in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Black metal congealed in its current form (known as the second wave of black metal, which is rooted much more heavily in classical musical theory) through the influence of Norwegian bands such as Darkthrone, Enslaved, Burzum, Mayhem, Immortal and Emperor, who began with the earlier style and introduced elements from mainstream heavy metal, classical music and popularised the style to a growing underground audience. Their influence is most apparent in the Satanic (or Pagan) imagery, anti-Christian lyrics and occult themes.

Black metal characteristics can include:

* Frequently including fast guitars that use Tremolo picking.
    * Popular black metal bands often have lyrics that take the form of Satanic themes which blaspheme Christianity, and other occult themes, like Paganism. Bands such as Slayer, Deicide, and Immolation overlap lyrically with black metal somewhat, but are musically defined as death metal (Immolation, Deicide) or thrash metal (Slayer).
    * Relatively thin guitar sound or relatively thick guitar sound, usually not in the middle.
    * Limited production used intentionally as a statement against mainstream music and/or to reflect the mood of the music.
    * Fast, aggressive drums, often including blast beats. At other times, the drums can take a slower role usually accompanied by a very dry and empty tone--esp. for the effect of the atmosphere of the music.
    * High-pitched/distorted screeching vocals
    * Swift percussion
    * Cold, dark, sad, melancholy, or gloomy atmosphere.
    Otherwise I would agree with you on the 'labelling music by lyrical themes' but in black metal it's almost essential.

And I totally forgot that Emperor = <3
    Has anyone heard of Ihsahn's newer project, Peccatum? Somewhat different from what Emperor was :P

Fevered lovers and austere thinkers
    Love equally, in their ripe season
    Cats powerful and gentle, pride of the house
    Like them they feel the cold, like them are sedentary

- Charles Baudelaire
    I'm listening to...

Banned

Wikipedia is not exactly the source of univeral truth. The lyrical theme in black metal is NOT an essential part of defining the music as it can be done by listening solely to the music. And what about instrumental black metal bands?(Yes, there are such bands) There are thousands of black metal bands that sing about anything from the joy of loving Jesus to "Jihad, kill all the infidels!". If a band matches all the musical criteria for being considered a black metal band, but sings about slaying dragons with magic swords, are you saying it should be considered a power metal band?

By your definition, I like no black metal bands at all. Yet I consider it to be one of my favourite genres.

... *cough* Yeah. Please people, get educated in your basic metal genres.

I have been listening to metal for 2 years and know more about it than most who have been listening to it their whole life, that alone should show you how easy it is to learn about.

Anyways >_> lol @ that Hammerfall question.

Yeah, lyrics do not determine a genre at all ... it is all sound. Sure alot of bands fit the lyrical criteria but it doesn't matter. Enslaved never once praised Satan, and yet their early works were black metal. *shrugs* Ah well.

One more thing ... about Celtic Frost, they are thrash metal. That, due to their "rougher" vocals influenced death and black metal.

Also, Therion, they were a AMAZING death metal band, and evolved into a symphonic heavy metal band, great stuff btw. NOT VIKING METAL IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORDS. >_>

So yeah, go listen to the totally non-black metal release from a bm band ... Dornenreich - Hexenwind. It is pure beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Hope
    Dornenreich - Hexenwind
    You've heard it already?
    Lucky bastard. I can't wait for it to get released so I can buy it. Still a week and a half to go though.

Yeah >_> I am a downloader ... heh. I really was surprised with this album actually, seeing as it is not BM at all, I was worried as to wether or not they could pull it off and I honestly will put it in my top 5 releases this year no matter what else is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.