Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Black Metal

I dont get all these different rock type, black metal, isnt that the same as Death metal or goth metal, or heavy metal. Me gone into a severe state of Con fu fu ......

First off: Metal is NOT a type of rock. Metal is a whole style of music in and of itself.

Also, black metal is VERY different from death and gothic metal. I'd post how they are but I know I have done it so much as of late I have grown tired of it.

So to teach you how you will listen to:

Death - Human (death metal)

and

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (black metal)

and

Beseech - Souls Highway (Gothic metal)

to tell the differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Im not great in this subject, but metal is a form of rock imo .....

I could honestly say that if someone listened only to bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath, than based on their knowledge they would be decently correct as those bands are heavily influenced by rock music.

However, when you progress into genres like death metal, thrash metal, black metal, even power metal, I hear no rock influences.

So basically Doom/Stoner/Sludge and Heavy metal are about the only ones related to rock at all, and even then it is all too separate from rock music.
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

thrash metal has a rock influence.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

if by rock you mean they use guitars and drums, then all metal is influenced by rock.

exactly my point.

By that definition than rock is a subgenre of jazz, which is a subgenre of blues. >_>

It isn't true. Musical instruments may be similar but they are played very differently, and I'd be damned if anyone can point me to a song that has guitars being played like Heathen, and still are rock.

.........Heathen?

well anyway, someone could play like slayer or anthrax and still call themselves rock. Its all how you percieve it.

o_O You don't know who Heathen are ... *suicides*

Anyways, they are a thrash metal band, the best of the Bay Area. smurf Metallica and Slayer, Heathen > them.

Anyways, no it is not based on perception, rather it is based on FACT. Metallica's first 4 albums were thrash metal, in no way rock, after that sure they did start playing rock but ...

Metallica use some influences from AC/DC if you listen to a song called "ronnie" by them. I just have a question. Why does metallica's "the four horseman" sound alot like Megadeths "mechanix"?

... one song does not make a band "rock."

The reason the songs are so similar is because Mustaine wrote both versions, originally for Metallica but since they kicked him out he just sped it up and called it Mechanix, it is the one song that proves that everything Dave does it so much better than what the Metallica guys can do.

very much agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Hope
    NOT VIKING METAL IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORDS. >_>
    Roffle. I wasn't being that serious. I don't think there's really any conotation to the term "viking metal", but it seemed to fit with this Scandanavian band makings songs that honest-to-God sound like they're scores for Viking movies (best fit to ship-sailing and such).

Anyways, don't worry about me, I'm well-versed in my metal definitions, and where the crossovers lie. Like, I know that I listen to little, if any, true Death Metal. I listen to a lot of melo-death and progressive death metal. I also know that I hate Black Metal. But I've had experience with it and understand what it sounds like.
    My favorite metal genres in order are probably (including my favorites in each)...

1. Progressive Metal (key band: Dream Theater)
    2. Power Metal (key band: Blind Guardian, though they began as thrash and slowly shifted their style)
    3. Progressive-death (key band: Opeth)
    4. Classic (NWOBHM) metal (key band: Iron Maiden)
    5. Thrash metal (key band: Megadeth)
    6. Melo-death (key band: In Flames)
    7. NWOAHM (key band: Killswitch Engage)

you forgot sleaze metal.