Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Black Metal

Default Black Metal

Who here likes black metal & what are your favourite black metal bands?

Mine are [in no particular order]

Mayhem
    Burzum
    Venom
    Bathory
    Darkthrone
    Emperor
    Early Cradle of Filth [First three albums]
    Celtic Frost
    Hellhammer
    Immortal
    Enslaved

They are my main ones. Though Mayhem is probably my favourite black metal band - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas being my most liked & played album by them.

Don't forget that we [As in us Brits] created black metal, thanks to Venom. It was only later on that Norwegian acts started to make it more extreme.

So this thread is to discuss about black metal & your favourite black metal bands,

Discuss

Banned

I'm not sure if I'd call Celtic Frost black metal.

I really enjoy this genre though. My favourite black metal band is without a doubt Dornenreich and it will be really hard for any other band to top them. I am generally not that into "true" black metal, but I really like bands like:

Concept
    Eisregen (Not really black metal, but this is the genre they have the most similarities to)
    Finntroll
    Grabnebelfürsten
    Hollenthon
    The Kovenant (the older stuff)
    Nocte Obducta
    Nocturnal Mortum
    Sigh (the old stuff)

But overall, I like death metal better. And to make this clear. Venom did NOT create black metal. He named an album "Black Metal", but the music on this album has no connection to actual black metal. This kind of music originated in Norway. (or Sweden if you count Bathory, which I don't)
    Last edited by jrgen; 11-11-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Hmm. I do enjoy death metal a lot, because it is very complex & technical. Bands like Decapitated & Nile I enjoy.

Fair enough, but which band in Norway was the first to start it? In fact it probably wouldn't be just one band but several, as there was a black metal circle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TisWas
    Fair enough, but which band in Norway was the first to start it? In fact it probably wouldn't be just one band but several, as there was a black metal circle.
    Just like most genres, it was developed simultaneously on different locations by different bands, but Mayhem are usually looked upon as the founders of the genre.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is black metal different from death metal?

Why are metal bands so popular all of a sudden?

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Black metal is too silly for me to take seriously. I mean, triple kick pedals, G-tuned guitars and guys going "boahboahboahboahboah" etc. etc. and talking about Satan's evil barbed wire fallous? I fall over laughing most of the time.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

The only Black metal i like is Slayer...............do they count as black metal?

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

to eestlinc: I don't think it's that sudden, maybe it just seems that way because these sorts of topics emerge and people discuss it more, maybe because the negative "satanism" banner in the forehead of the whole genre is kinda "wearing off", so people maybe more open about it or something. I'm not sure, I don't know... But I am interested, too, in finding out why is it just now that metal is becoming more and more popular. However it still is a margin genre when you look at the Top lists or that sort of things, thank goodness :P

And the differences between black and death metal are various. I don't know everything, but one thing are the general topics and lyrical themes. In black metal, at least were before, lyrics are mainly about religious stuff about satan, hell and satanism as a concept. Death metal concentrates issues surrounding death and pain and those kinds of things.
    There are also many people who ONLY regard black metal as all-guitars, very rough, no keyboards and only fierce grunting or something like that. I'm not entirely sure...

to jrgen, Finntroll aren't Black Metal at all, not from lyrics or from music. They'd consider themselves more to be Folk metal with a bit of death and black metal sounds. You should know since you speak swedish and you understand the lyrics, don't you? :P I don't much, but from what I'm told, it's more about trolls and old folklore and that sort of stuff :)

As for me, I don't really listen to black metal that much, not that I don't like it, it's just not the one I prefer :) There are some Burzum tracks that really hit it for me, like the legendary Dunkelheit. Satyricon's (I know, "mainstream" black :D) Black Lava is an incredible track aswell.

v.e.n.o.m. Slayer aren't black metal, nowhere near that! They're clearly thrash metal.

Gosh, people, you're so mixed up with these genres :/ Oh well, not that it matters so much, I'm just a busybody or something xD

Fevered lovers and austere thinkers
    Love equally, in their ripe season
    Cats powerful and gentle, pride of the house
    Like them they feel the cold, like them are sedentary

- Charles Baudelaire
    I'm listening to...

Finntroll:
    http://rocktoons.com/gallery/display...album=77&pos=0
    I'd just put the picture into the thread, but for some reason Rocktoons won't let you get the adress of individual images.
    I don't mind Black Metal, even if it's not very good, but the whole arrogant superiority thing that inevitably comes with it annoys me. Like this topic. Although it seems harmless, I supsect it's an excuse for people to gather and congratulate themselves on being better people than others because they listen to a certain kind of music.
    That's the MTV virus- everyone at my school seems to have it, and I'm bloody sick of it. I don't have a problem with kind of music people like, but I don't wnat to know about it either, so they can shut the hell up (obviosuly I'm talking about school, if I meant this thread I wouldn't have clicked on it).
    Well, that's my miserable, cynical veiw.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rini
    And the differences between black and death metal are various. I don't know everything, but one thing are the general topics and lyrical themes. In black metal, at least were before, lyrics are mainly about religious stuff about satan, hell and satanism as a concept. Death metal concentrates issues surrounding death and pain and those kinds of things.
    There are also many people who ONLY regard black metal as all-guitars, very rough, no keyboards and only fierce grunting or something like that. I'm not entirely sure...

to jrgen, Finntroll aren't Black Metal at all, not from lyrics or from music. They'd consider themselves more to be Folk metal with a bit of death and black metal sounds. You should know since you speak swedish and you understand the lyrics, don't you? :P I don't much, but from what I'm told, it's more about trolls and old folklore and that sort of stuff
    I, even though many disagree with me, claim that the lyrical theme is irrelevant when labelling music. There are really clear musical differences between black and death metal. Death metal is very raw, straight-forward, aggressive and heavy with growling vocals, while black metal is atmospheric, minimalistic, not as intensive and generally uses high pitched screaming vocals. You don't really have to take the lyrics into account. Finntroll is mainly a black metal band with folk influences. I'd probably call them folk/black metal or something like that. Nowadays, far from all black metal bands sing about Satan, evil and retarded things like that, just like not all death metal bands sing about death. I am not talking about "true black metal", which some elitists like to call it though. A true black metal band sings in Norwegian, uses no keyboards, worships Satan and/or norse Gods, is extremely nationalistic and is not afraid to show their hatred towards negros, jews and arabs alternatively christians. Luckily, the genre has evolved into something else than Mayhem & co. intended it to be.

EDIT: This is a good place for listening to mainly black, but also death metal: http://www.blackmetalradio.com/
    Last edited by jrgen; 11-03-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v.e.n.o.m.
    The only Black metal i like is Slayer...............do they count as black metal?
    Slayer is more Speed/Thrash Metal than Black Metal. Black Metal are a cross between Gothic and Speed. As I described, it usually involves double kick pedals, very low tuned guitars, and somebody grunting into a microphone. Band's I'd consider to be Black Metal are people like Ackercock, Cannibal Corpse and Emperor.

Here's the Wiki entry.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Are motley crue black metal?

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Can I smurfing kill you Venom ... that was incredibly smurfing stupid.

STUPID.

I enjoy quite alot of black metal, my favorite 3 bands are:

Diabolical Masquerade
    Dornenreich
    Emperor

It is such an amazing and beautiful genre, even if it does have this large veil of hate surrounding it. I honestly do not prefer any other genre of music to it (aside from the possibility of Post-black, the future of black metal, TODAY!.)

The music can create such a moving atmosphere, and I wish that every musician was as good a composer as people like Blakkheim and Ihshan, who are easily the two best composers of modern music.

EDIT: Bathory created Black metal
    Last edited by Crushed Hope; 11-04-2005 at 01:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Mine are Marduk,Destoyer 666, Cannibal Corpse, old Dimmu Borgir and Vaticide(Aussie metal a-yeah.).

Haven't gotten into black metal, doubt I ever will. The only two bands in this thread that caught my eye were Celtic Frost (old death metal, fairly good) and Therion (I prefer the new "Viking Metal" sound with all the orchestrated stuff, multiple singers, and Nordic story stuff).

But Death Metal for the win.

Oh and Slayer is one of the gods of thrash metal, just to make note.