View Poll Results: I love polls, and so do you.

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • OMG! You're right!

3 10.34%
  • No, you're totally correct!

2 6.90%
  • ROFL!!!

4 13.79%
  • I don't care about what's said in this thread, I just want to vote in the poll!

15 51.72%
  • Ultima Weapon is Polterp0wnage's b0i!!! lol!!!

5 17.24%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OMG! Poltergeist is the father of ultimate awesomeness!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    So... did everyone just completely forget that Ultima Weapon is actually IN FFVI?
    Of course not. I just thought it was an intressting fact that the newer versions of Ultima Weapon looks more like Poltergeist rather than like the old, orginal version. That's the whole point!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    What?

You mean as Atma, or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me. Yes, me! Not you, but ME!
    FFVI: Yes... he DO appear in this game but he's called Atma weapon. Now you may think: "WTF? Atma Weapon has NOTHING to do with Ultima Weapon!" BUT YOU'RE WRONG! Time for the Atma=Ultima theory...

In FFVI there's a creature called Atma Weapon. But his real name is... Ultima Weapon. Why do I (and others) think so?
    Reasons: 1) The name "Ultima Weapon" includes more letters than it's possible to have in a monster's name in FFVI. Therefore it had to be cut down to Utma Weapon. Now, atleast 2 things could have happened. Either... they changed Utma Weapon to Atma Weapon because it sounds cooler... or maybe... the calculator replaced the U with an A just because, as we all know, the translators are weird. 2) There's a sword called Atma Weapon in FFVI... and there's a sword called Ultima Weapon in FFVII, FFVIII(the creature weilds it) and FFIX.(and in japan, Tidus best weapon is also called Ultima Weapon instead of "whatever the name of his best weapon is"). In FFVI a schoolar tells you about the Atma sword. It's a sword created by the wielder's spirit (or something like that). Now... did you notice that Ultima Weapon (the sword) changes colour when Cloud's hp is low? Because he's close to die and if he dies, his spirit leaves him. This make both Atma and Ultima Weapon get weaker when your HP is low but extremely strong when your HP is high. That's because it's the same sword! 3) The look of Atma Weapon actually reminds a little of the lower part of Ultima Weapon's body in FFVIII. 4) You can kill Atma Weapon by taking away all its MP and in FFVII Ultima(te) Weapon only have MP based attacks, which means that if you take away his MP he becomes completely unable to perform any action. 5) If you scan FFX-2s Ultima Weapon, the description of the monster says: "Whatever you do... don't call it Atma." Of course not! Because his true name never was Atma. His true name was Ultima Weapon all the time. They just had to take away 2 letters (L and I) and all that stuff.
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 11-06-2005 at 01:00 AM.

...Yep

lol, true

One more thing (from Wikipedia):
    Altima and Ultima
    The name "Altima" is actually a mistranslation and was intended to be "Ultima" to match the name of the spell, Ultima, and the Ultima Demons that are also found in the game. The error was corrected in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance where "Ultima" serves as the Totema for the Nu Mou race.
    This means that when Ultima Weapon was translated, it probably came out as ‘Altima Weapon”. This would account for the abbreviation “Atma”.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris

This means that when Ultima Weapon was translated, it probably came out as ‘Altima Weapon”. This would account for the abbreviation “Atma”.
    That's cool. Thanks for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever
    FFVI: Yes... he DO appear in this game but he's called Atma weapon. Now you may think: "WTF? Atma Weapon has NOTHING to do with Ultima Weapon!" BUT YOU'RE WRONG! Time for the Atma=Ultima theory...

In FFVI there's a creature called Atma Weapon. But his real name is... Ultima Weapon. Why do I (and others) think so?
    Reasons: 1) The name "Ultima Weapon" includes more letters than it's possible to have in a monster's name in FFVI. Therefore it had to be cut down to Utma Weapon. Now, atleast 2 things could have happened. Either... they changed Utma Weapon to Atma Weapon because it sounds cooler... or maybe... the calculator replaced the U with an A just because, as we all know, the translators are weird. 2) There's a sword called Atma Weapon in FFVI... and there's a sword called Ultima Weapon in FFVII, FFVIII(the creature weilds it) and FFIX.(and in japan, Tidus best weapon is also called Ultima Weapon instead of "whatever the name of his best weapon is"). In FFVI a schoolar tells you about the Atma sword. It's a sword created by the wielder's spirit (or something like that). Now... did you notice that Ultima Weapon (the sword) changes colour when Cloud's hp is low? Because he's close to die and if he dies, his spirit leaves him. This make both Atma and Ultima Weapon get weaker when your HP is low but extremely strong when your HP is high. That's because it's the same sword! 3) The look of Atma Weapon actually reminds a little of the lower part of Ultima Weapon's body in FFVIII. 4) You can kill Atma Weapon by taking away all its MP and in FFVII Ultima(te) Weapon only have MP based attacks, which means that if you take away his MP he becomes completely unable to perform any action. 5) If you scan FFX-2s Ultima Weapon, the description of the monster says: "Whatever you do... don't call it Atma." Of course not! Because his true name never was Atma. His true name was Ultima Weapon all the time. They just had to take away 2 letters (L and I) and all that stuff.
    The question is -- how do you know it wasn't originally supposed to be Atma Weapon? It wouldn't be far off at all to expect FFVI to have the original piece, and the later ones to take after it, would it? They changed the name to Ultima for the later games, not from Ultima for the earlier game. If "Ultima Weapon" wouldn't fit in FFVI, they would have shortened it to "Ultima Wpn.", not "Atma Weapon".

That's what I say, anyway. But I'm tired of later games getting credit for things that were in earlier games. Makes sense to me.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

You can blame Square not giving Ted Woolsey any documentation on what the names of things were supposed to be for that one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    The question is -- how do you know it wasn't originally supposed to be Atma Weapon? It wouldn't be far off at all to expect FFVI to have the original piece, and the later ones to take after it, would it? They changed the name to Ultima for the later games, not from Ultima for the earlier game. If "Ultima Weapon" wouldn't fit in FFVI, they would have shortened it to "Ultima Wpn.", not "Atma Weapon".

That's what I say, anyway. But I'm tired of later games getting credit for things that were in earlier games. Makes sense to me.
    Well...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris
    Altima and Ultima
    The name "Altima" is actually a mistranslation and was intended to be "Ultima" to match the name of the spell, Ultima, and the Ultima Demons that are also found in the game. The error was corrected in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance where "Ultima" serves as the Totema for the Nu Mou race.
    ...That, and what DJZen said.

And except their looks, they simply have too many things in common.

1) The name "Ultima Weapon" includes more letters than it's possible to have in a monster's name in FFVI. Therefore it had to be cut down to Utma Weapon. Now, atleast 2 things could have happened. Either... they changed Utma Weapon to Atma Weapon because it sounds cooler... or maybe... the calculator replaced the U with an A just because, as we all know, the translators are weird. 2) There's a sword called Atma Weapon in FFVI... and there's a sword called Ultima Weapon in FFVII, FFVIII(the creature weilds it) and FFIX.(and in japan, Tidus best weapon is also called Ultima Weapon instead of "whatever the name of his best weapon is"). In FFVI a schoolar tells you about the Atma sword. It's a sword created by the wielder's spirit (or something like that). Now... did you notice that Ultima Weapon (the sword) changes colour when Cloud's hp is low? Because he's close to die and if he dies, his spirit leaves him. This make both Atma and Ultima Weapon get weaker when your HP is low but extremely strong when your HP is high. That's because it's the same sword! 3) The look of Atma Weapon actually reminds a little of the lower part of Ultima Weapon's body in FFVIII. 4) You can kill Atma Weapon by taking away all its MP and in FFVII Ultima(te) Weapon only have MP based attacks, which means that if you take away his MP he becomes completely unable to perform any action. 5) If you scan FFX-2s Ultima Weapon, the description of the monster says: "Whatever you do... don't call it Atma." Of course not! Because his true name never was Atma. His true name was Ultima Weapon all the time. They just had to take away 2 letters (L and I) and all that stuff.
    Btw., Atma/Ultima Weapon from VI has 4 legs and 2 "arms" (well, kind of) just like its successors...

^Indeed, that or 6 legs.

"Your lives that I spit on are now but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid!" ~Fawful

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

i think poltergeist looks awesome but his head and face and the helmet he wears makes him look like a dragoon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare X
    ^Indeed, that or 6 legs.

I count five...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

If there were only five, there'd be one back right, two front right, and two front left. It's logical to assume there's a back left in there, also.

Not to mention, if you look at his front right, I think the part behind and to the left of his forearm isn't a part of his other forearm, but his rear left leg.

I never noticed those extra arms/legs...

Quote Originally Posted by x_Hopeless_Deviate_x
    About the 'crappy' graphics of FF6...
    Yeah, they're definitely crappy by today's standards.
    But think of when the game was made...
    I thought it was amazing considering the way most games looked back then.
    Not only that, but I am amazed at the amount of detail found in all the monsters. Especially the statue fights!
    "I'm a General, not some OPERA FLOOZY!"
    You wanna see my artwork?
    www.kawaiiranchan.deviantart.com