Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: More politeness perhaps?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default More politeness perhaps?

So, earlier I posted a quote in my sig as well as the current image. Being as it was all too big, I was told to smallify it. Fair enough, rules is rules and I can appreciate why they're there. But couldn't whoever it was have been polite about it? A please would have gone a long way... especially because editing my sig up caused me to copy-paste something, overwriting a previous copy which I had spent an hour typing up (I know I should have saved, it was my own fool fault, but it would have helped my mood is all. :P).

And yeah, like, I've seen that a lot. Just an abrupt statement that the rules were broken. It like everyone born with gigantic stick up their bum! I mean I know dealing with Rye and Bipper must be trying for the patience, but I think it'd be nicer if y'all were polite when you smacked eejits about the head.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think they were born with a gigantic stick up their bum; it was shoved there by members repeatedly not reading the rules and them having to fix them daily.

I agree that they, overall, could be less abrupt and more explainatory in their enforcing of such and such though.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eh, that was more of a flippant comment than a serious accusation. I've been a mod, I have at least some experience of how trying it can be. But your second sentence rather eloquently elaborates on what I'm driving at here. Sometimes people get in trouble without even knowing why. I think it'd be wiser to actually tell people exactly what they did to get ban X or whatever. And it would help those of us who do respect the rules (Even if we disagree with some.) to get along better if we get a polite note saying we messed up (Because we'll put our hands up, admit to the mistake, apologise, and move on.), instead of just a solid, stony declaration (Where we're more likely to get affronted by it, or at least confused.). Like a Moai, only without the awesomeness. (Except when it's eest, then it's still great.)

Ok, I'll go to bed now, I'm rambling and it won't be long before it turns into spams.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I didn't delete your sig, I commented it out using HTML. All your content should have still been there when you went to edit it again. Sorry if it wasn't.

I usually say please but when it comes to sig edits I just put the reason and comment out the sig. Sometimes when certain rules get repeatedly broken we start to get irritated and forget to be polite. I hope people can understand that.

Whenever I send a pm warning I always end it with 'Have a nice day. ', to remind people that getting in trouble here isn't the end of the world. It's quite easy to enjoy this message board without breaking rules or getting too upset about what goes on here.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF
    I mean I know dealing with Rye and Bipper must be trying for the patience, but I think it'd be nicer if y'all were polite when you smacked eejits about the head.
    Nice hypocrisy you've got going on there.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Why should I say "please" if I don't mean it? I don't hold anything against anyone else here and I surely don't have any personal strife when doing my job as a moderator. But I also don't go around saying please if I don't really mean it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What does it mean to mean 'please'?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I personaly enjoy the abruptness, and believe me when I say it's been used on me more than once. To me it's one of the cool things about this place.

I wish Bleys were here to comment in this thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I haven't been abrupted (it's a new verb because I say it's a new verb) on by the staff for a long time and now a part of me feels empty. Better get my staff trolling boots on.

The staff are too polite as it is, giving everyone a million and one chances and all that. Oh the shame of it all.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    I haven't been abrupted (it's a new verb because I say it's a new verb) on by the staff for a long time and now a part of me feels empty. Better get my staff trolling boots on.
    USER NOTE BAN FOR UNPRODUCTIVE FEEDBACK FORUM POST.

Sometimes we may not be nice enough in delivering our messages, but with stuff like sig limits - where the limits are flashed in your face every time you go to change it, and we always tell people to read them, but we still have people not pay attention to them - it gets easy to lose patience.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder
    I didn't delete your sig, I commented it out using HTML. All your content should have still been there when you went to edit it again. Sorry if it wasn't.
    That seems to me like a good way to go.

I honestly couldn't care less about the mods being nice, as long as they aren't incredibly rude about it. Editting out the sig with HTML instead of deleting it seems pretty nice to me, though.

Blog Entries

EDIT: We're trying to keep the spam out of Feedback for now so please don't reply just to quote a nonsense post. -Murder

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry Del, it was still there, but I was messing with it to change it. My mistake in wording up there. And I can understand that you'd get irritated, it's fair enough. I dunno, I guess I've been on forums much more lax than this. Here on EoFF, the rules are actually enforced. It's a shock.

Anyways, I didn't mean to come off as overreacting, but it was like 2am and I was still ticked at having lost the hour of typing. So, sorry. Though my point stands, I probably sounded like a whiny bitch. xD

Yams: You don't have to mean it. It's like the way people who work as store clerks are encouraged to smile. They don't mean it, hell they work at Wal*Mart, you think they're happy? But it makes the customer feel better, and makse everyone's day brighter, instead of the English method where you can be as gruff and curt as you want to, and everyone is. It's just nicer, even if it's false.

Hsu: I can appreciate that, but I don't think many people actually check anything other than the box your sig goes into, and the 'submit' button or whatever it is, when they edit their sig. See, obviously I'm going to be more careful in future with my sig, but I'm now likely to think 'Bah, silly staffers don't let me have fun' instead of 'Bah, I do so wish the computer screens of others were larger' or something equally... yeah... ok, this is just getting silly now. I'll stop.

(I wish Bleys were here to comment on every thread. )

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's a difference though. The people in Wal*Mart leave after you bag their purchases. You guys stick around for HOURS

I usually don't add a please when I edit a signature (unlike Del, I delete the entire thing, so they don't just remove the comments and still have a rule-breaking sig. The effort involved in recreating it gives them time to think about the limits.). And while I've never gotten a ticket, I doubt police officers say 'please pay this fine' when they write you up

Besides, we *can't* let you have fun with sigs; leeza will tie us up and do unspeakable things if we don't be gruff with you all ;_;;;;