Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no renting in future

Unhappy no renting in future

i here that the ps3 will have this thing where if you play a game on the cosal then that game will get an imprint on it so it can only be played on your sistem im pritty sure this is true but if it is i mean it would mean no renting ever since you wouldent be able to play the games for any one else this is so stuped there going to force you to only buy games that sucks.

(im sorry but i heard this on aots on the g4 network im afraid i can not dirrect this to a website so you can read about this delema)

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

That would suck entirely, because it means that once a game's used you can't lend it to anyone else, and you can't sell it on at a later date. It seems like a breach of the rights of anyone who happens to pay good money for the use of a game. Copying and selling the game is understandable, but selling the game on to others that you've paid good money for...nah, not right at all.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

so if you go pee pee on your ps3 you gotta buy a new GAME for every game you owned too now? sux

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After an admittedly quick scan of some of the major game sites I can't find anything about this. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably rumor despite that you heard it on the G4 network. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen rumors stated as fact from a source assumed to be reputable *cough*EGM*cough*. Honestly, I doubt this is true. For starters, renting is pretty big. There are plenty of people out there who won't even buy some games without renting them first. And the thing is, to imprint the game as you say, they would have to write information to the disc I would think. Generally, companies don't let you do that (probably to avoid accidentally writing over your game), and as far as I know there's no indication the PS3 will have the ability to write information to Blu-Ray discs, and I see no reason why it would have that ability.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

the idea is pretty good, it will stop people from doing stuff on puters some...how...

Must change name: NikoKun Tidus Andronicus's Avatar

For one, I have NO idea how its even possible for the PS3 to prevent you from playing it on another system... Plus, that would be REALLY stupid of Sony... cause they'd just be fcking up the market place then... rentals get screwed, trade ins get screwed, players that go to a friends house get screwed... I'm sure Sony wouldn't be THAT moronic!

Either way, this is another reason why I will be buying the Revolution first...
    *adds it to the list*

Reasons (not to convice you, these are just my personal reasons XD)
    1. The awesome controller
    2. The ultimate backwards compatibility to NES
    3. The free online services
    4. The games (more on Rev that I will enjoy playing)
    5. The price of the console ($150-$250)
    6. No region codes or fancy annoying copy protection/DRM cripe

I could go on... but this isn't a Rev thread. So thats the short version. XD

Anyway, I really want to get the PS3... eventually... mainly for the graphics... and the few games I might actually want to play on it! lol ...but it wont be my first next gen console.
    Last edited by Tidus Andronicus; 11-10-2005 at 06:28 AM.
    Wii Friends Code: 1253-3744-4913-5203
    AKA: NikoKun

Im 100 % thats not gonna happen.
    Sony will know that People will get very pissed if they had to buy every game they owned. Actually, another Court Case will happen IMO ( the fisrt being the cheap lasers used )

If sony did that, it may be a sure way to seriously hurt themself and knock them down in the gaming market, because the X-Box 360 and the Revolution do not do that.

THE JACKEL

What would the possibly gain from that?

It's a rumour and a poorly thought out one at that.
    Word/s.

Sony has indeed secured a patent for this... thingy.

What remains to be seen is if they'll actually use it on the PS3.

But if someone made a copy of a game, before it got played, wouldn't the copy be playable?

Sony isn't that stupid. They would be committing suicide on the video game market. Not only would they be preventing rentals, but they would also be forcing anyone whose system was ruined to have to buy new games, and they would prevent people from playing their games on a friend's system. This is a marketing disaster, and it wouldn't even do much to prevent piracy, since people who copy those games could probably find a way around it anyway. They would just be pissing off all the law abiding citizens who get their games (who also happen to be the major source of their income).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    But if someone made a copy of a game, before it got played, wouldn't the copy be playable?
    No, because the original disc includes information that cannot be found/burned on a normal disc, in particular a special magnetic track where information about the disc's physical characteristics can be stored. That special track is what gets erased when you play the game for the first time, and the data that was on the track gets stored in the device (on a hd for example). When you put a disc in, it checks the game's id, then checks if it already has the data, and if not (copied game, used game), checks if it can read the info. If it can't, bam, tells you you are a bad person. The patent specifically says it will make reselling near impossible, since it's aimed at stopping people from buying "used software" and "counterfeit software".

And then there is Death

Banned

the ps3 doesn't have a writer and so couldn't write anything onto the disc preventing it from being used on another machine. unless they are talking about saving a code or some such on the machine like the steam system.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless
    No, because the original disc includes information that cannot be found/burned on a normal disc, in particular a special magnetic track where information about the disc's physical characteristics can be stored. That special track is what gets erased when you play the game for the first time, and the data that was on the track gets stored in the device (on a hd for example). When you put a disc in, it checks the game's id, then checks if it already has the data, and if not (copied game, used game), checks if it can read the info. If it can't, bam, tells you you are a bad person. The patent specifically says it will make reselling near impossible, since it's aimed at stopping people from buying "used software" and "counterfeit software".
    I give it about two months, max, before someone finds out a way to copy the information and put it back on a disc. It's not going to do a thing to stop piracy.

Also, it it's magnetic media, they're going to piss even more people off, since then it will have to be treated even more delicately than a standard CD/DVD.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.