Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHY do revived threads get closed?

Angry WHY do revived threads get closed?

This has to be the single most annoying thing in forums in general.

So there's something you want to discuss and can't wait to get onto the forum, the only viable means of discussing something with people across the world.

You make a topic just to get it closed because oops! someone has already posted this before.

So you go to the original topic to add your input and hope to start a fresh new tangent on the subject, but...oops again! reviving old threads is bad, and it gets closed.

Needless to say, I'm pissed off at how many threads I can't post in due to the "revival" and when making a new thread is frowned upon, what can I do?

Is that subject supposed to not be discussed EVER again? Were people only allowed to talk about it for a week or so, and after inactivity it can no longer be brought up because it will be closed?

So maybe someone has already made your point within the thread. THAT isn't the point. YOU should be able to express YOUR thoughts on something no matter if they are similar to the other 5 guys before you, because it makes you feel like you were a part of that topic and that you're in the same boat as the other people in the thread.

Your thread will only be closed if there is already an active topic on the matter. If not, it won't be closed. I have yet to see an instance where what you described proved to be true.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

*sighs* Here's the idea.

Mods will often close a thread that's been revived after a lengthy period of time of inactivity. Depending on the mod, if the reply was on-topic, the chances of the thread staying alive is pretty good. If it's pointless and spam, you can bet your booty it will get closed.

Now, each staff member have a different idea of the period it took from the last post to the most recent reply. If it's greater than a month or so, the chances of the staff member closing the thread is greater than if it was within a month.

So, it all comes down to the period of inactivity. If it's greater than two months and/or the thread is in or past the third page of the forum, it will get closed. That also goes with making new threads on a similar topic of the older thread, if you can find the thread within the first two pages of the forum, it's safe to reply. If not, you can go ahead a start a new thread.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just check the first or second page for the topic you want. The reason we don't allow revived threads is because those discussions had already run their course, and they push newer topics aside that may have not yet gotten their due. If you post a duplicate topic and it gets closed, the mod should link you to the other thread. It's not a big deal and you don't get in trouble for it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, that is annoying.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

They're annoying because I see them and sometimes post in them without realize I posted in them several months ago, and then I have to stab a baby to feel better about life.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Baby killer.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Eyes on Final Fantasy Staff: Saving babies since 1999

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Yeah good points everyone.

I guess I would have liked, for example, the "MP3 Requests" thread to stay open in the music forum, because I think having a central thread where people could discuss their collections and make exchanges would have been great. I would have liked to have posted in it but it was closed due to being revived.

But I completely understand what you're saying ..Agent Proto and Del Murder made the best points and made me feel better about the topic. At first I ws just really pissed off so I felt the need to leave feedback as a testament to my rage and anger! Roaarrrr

If we were just allowed to revive threads, this place would be worse than an episode of Dragon Ball Z.

Blog Entries

I'll see you all in a couple of months when I revive this thread ok

there was a picture here

Maybe your threads should suck less.

Yeah, I'm not a good PR guy, what can I say.

Blog Entries

Say yes to me lovely!

Yes.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    They're annoying because I see them and sometimes post in them without realize I posted in them several months ago, and then I have to stab a baby to feel better about life.
    Why would you do that. Don't you see the arrow/black dot on the post icon on the forum letting you know you posted in the thread already?!@4ke1r MONKEY smurfEDDAGvd ,/FDv *BOOMUBrf*