Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naming is dead as doornails...

~ Woo Im speachless ~ Angel~Rinoa's Avatar

I names the Chars once and I didnt like it *lol* I thought it was waaay better using the original names.

~*~ Loadsa Love Lauren ~*~

"I don't want the future.. I just want the present to stand still.. So I can stay here with you."

Yeah, I always did the naming thing. Sometimes after my friends, sometimes after Star Wars characters... Either way, in FFX it was ridiculous they way they skipped around saying Tidus' name..

"And then...and then...there's the new addition to the guardians" or whatever Yuna says..bothered me quite a bit.

I'm playing FFVII again and I'm naming all nine of my characters "Sephiroth".
    My Cure spell brings all the boys to the yard,
    And they're like: "It's better than yours."
    Damn right, it's better than yours!
    I could Heal you, but I have to charge.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I generally don't change the names, as the game is really a story about the characters and I like their original names for the full effect.

And the fact that they never said Tidus annoyed me to no end.

So really, if they're going to do it with speech, don't have the option to rename, it just makes it stupid.

Maybe in the future you could choose your character's name from a list of pre-recorded phonetic symbols, to give you at least some freedom to rename your characters...
    My Cure spell brings all the boys to the yard,
    And they're like: "It's better than yours."
    Damn right, it's better than yours!
    I could Heal you, but I have to charge.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That would sound really wierd, as it would be difficult to have the tonal variance set for the different emotional requirements for the game.

I say if you put in a simple name like Chris or somethin they should say it instead of just making references. ya'll agree?
    Sig height limit is 250px.
    [!]

Hiei King of the Black Flame Dragon --!>

I only ever used to change the main characters name, but now i dont. I just cant be bothered. Also, i always found it amusing as opposed to annoying how X managed to avoid saying Tidus, eg:
    Auron: Hey new guy.

Tidus: Uh...me?

Auron: Who else?

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I think they should've given us no choice about Tidus' name so the other voice actors could just say it out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Dragon
    I say if you put in a simple name like Chris or somethin they should say it instead of just making references. ya'll agree?
    It might work if the character voices were synthesized instead of done by voice actors. It would be hard to insert different names into lines of dialogue otherwise.

The biggest problem is that the English alphabet isn't completely phonetic. It would work better in Japanese (with kana) or Korean.

I always used the default names, fit the game more, and if you happen to go on FF boards, i would make the mistake of saying the name of the character that I gave him.
    I think I named Cloud in FFVII once to my name, this was the first time I played through the game, and is my best file :D

Don't we have text-to-speech tech now? I mean it would probably sound kinda fakey with current tech, but with time it might work well. Especially if the whole thing was done with a more phonic system, with extra symbols for long vowels and ch or sh sounds.