Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Some of your cinemas are real cheap, where I'm at its £6.50 for a ticket, unless you have proof of ID on you to say that you're a student - in which case its £5.00. And then theres the food, the drinks - raising the price to about £10.

Anyway, I'm not actually going to see the movie. I've never read any of the books, or watched any of the other films - I don't know why, I just suppose I never got into them really.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Anyway, I'm not actually going to see the movie. I've never read any of the books, or watched any of the other films - I don't know why, I just suppose I never got into them really.
    OOC:Please don't feel obligated to make a post if you have nothing to contribute to the conversation. I don't mean to be a jerk, but irrelevant posts make the thread unnecessarily longer and more difficult to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    OOC:Please don't feel obligated to make a post if you have nothing to contribute to the conversation. I don't mean to be a jerk, but irrelevant posts make the thread unnecessarily longer and more difficult to get through.
    shes on topic because shes talking about the movie even if its how shes not going to see it.

1. In the book, when Crouch Jr. is accused of being in league with Voldemort, he begs his father not to send him to Azkaban. In the movie, they make Crouch Jr. seem like a lunatic by yelling "The dark lord will rise again!". This never happened. I think Bellatrix Lestrange was the person to yell that. Just like Dumbledore, they have Crouch Jr. out of character.
    I also believe it was Bellatrix that used the crucio curse on the Longbottoms, not Crouch Jr. as the film said. There were quite a few inaccuracies in the film, as well as a lot of stuff left out that really should've been kept in (Rita skeeter as a beetle, anyone?). I also virtually forgot Hogwarts was a school during the film, it was so focused on the triwizard tournament. The maze also could've been a whole lot better.

That said, the film was fun, and of the scenes they did keep in they were done very well (except for the dragon scene, that was far too long). I especially liked the ferret scene, possibly one of my favourite parts of the book.

Sucks for the spectators of the tournament though. Harry led the dragon around hogwarts out of sight, they couldn't see them in the lake much, and how on earth were they meant to follow them through that giant misty maze with hedges at least 6 metres tall?

I saw it today! I really enjoyed it and DAVID TENNANT = GORGEOUS. Although I was minorly annoyed at the fact that the part where Fudge is a nasty idiot and doesn't believe Harry was taken out. Dude.

DAVID TENNANT.

Ultimately Ultimate!!!!!! Ultimate99997's Avatar

just a few words to say...... DONT READ HARRY POTTER ITS A MAJOR RIPOFF CONTAINING OBVIOUS CONTENT (adapted for kids, and to avoid copyright infringement) FROM LORD OF THE RINGS > !!

lotr forever hehe
    sig in development

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Enough about Ansem's signature. It's a finger. End of discussion.

Anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate99997
    just a few words to say...... DONT READ HARRY POTTER ITS A MAJOR RIPOFF CONTAINING OBVIOUS CONTENT (adapted for kids, and to avoid copyright infringement) FROM LORD OF THE RINGS > !!

lotr forever hehe
    What in the world are you talking about? There are absolutely no parallels between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings as far as storyline, world, or otherwise. At all. They're completely different. I mean they aren't even the same style of fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    Enough about Ansem's signature. It's a finger. End of discussion.

Anyways...

What in the world are you talking about? There are absolutely no parallels between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings as far as storyline, world, or otherwise. At all. They're completely different. I mean they aren't even the same style of fantasy.
    Agreed.

I just saw the movie tonight, and I must say it was quite a bit better than I thought it would be. The acting was much better from the kids this time, and I thought Emma Watson did a great job as Hermione, as well as the dudes who played Fred and George.

Althought they did leave out quite a bit, for it being a 2 1/2 hour movie adapted from a 734 page book, I thought they did quite a good job of putting most of the content in. Unlike PoA, it didn't feel too incredibly rushed, which is odd considering the book is almost twice as long as PoA. I just wish they would've put the goddamn World Cup game in considering it took up the first 100 or so pages of the book.

The Special effects were very good, although I found the maze and dragon to be a tad underwhelming. The guy who played Voldemort just didn't seem right to me. I imagined him to be much more disfigured and menacing, much the same as Mad-Eye who I thought didn't quite fit the "wood carved" description they had in the book. Snape was great as always, but once again Wormtail looked retarted. Rita Skeeter fit the role well, although I always thought she had black hair instead of blonde. I pictured Victor Krum to be much more....foreign looking, with big eyebrows and HAIR like he has in the book. Instead I got what looked like a street thug with an obviously fake accent for his 4 or so speaking parts in the movie. I think they did do a good job with Diggory though. However, where the hell was Bagman in the movie? Hello! He was a very important character in the book!

All in all, it was a pretty good movie, much better than I expected. I can't say I have too many complaints with the limited time they were working with, except what I mentioned above. I just wish they would have done more with Sirius, considering how we all know how very important he is in the next book. I'm just trying to figure out why and the hell they changed the role of Lestrange as the person who tortured Nevilles parents to Crouch Jr! I wonder how they're gonna cover that in the upcoming movies.

Alright my rant on the movie is over. Time for some Goobers!

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyToast
    The Special effects were very good, although I found the maze and dragon to be a tad underwhelming. The guy who played Voldemort just didn't seem right to me. I imagined him to be much more disfigured and menacing, much the same as Mad-Eye who I thought didn't quite fit the "wood carved" description they had in the book. Snape was great as always, but once again Wormtail looked retarted. Rita Skeeter fit the role well, although I always thought she had black hair instead of blonde. I pictured Victor Krum to be much more....foreign looking, with big eyebrows and HAIR like he has in the book. Instead I got what looked like a street thug with an obviously fake accent for his 4 or so speaking parts in the movie. I think they did do a good job with Diggory though. However, where the hell was Bagman in the movie? Hello! He was a very important character in the book!
    The guy who played Krum really was foreign, so it was quite a real accent.

And Bagman may have been somewhat impactful in the book, but his part can ultimately be removed because it's irrelevant to the main story.

Ok then I take that back, but he still kinda looked like a thug

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There are so many plot holes that will have to be filled IF they choose to make the rest of the books into films it's not even funny. Funding for the joke shop? Familial relationships amongst the Order and the Death Eaters? How Harry will be redeemed in the eyes of the wizarding public in the next film?

I can't wait to see how they do them, if they do. It will be interesting.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon
    There are so many plot holes that will have to be filled IF they choose to make the rest of the books into films it's not even funny. Funding for the joke shop? Familial relationships amongst the Order and the Death Eaters? How Harry will be redeemed in the eyes of the wizarding public in the next film?

I can't wait to see how they do them, if they do. It will be interesting.
    The funding for the joke shop can be explained by the betting that F & G did at the tasks, perhaps. It's possible that the funding won't even need to be explained or discussed at all - there's not much point spending a great amount of time turning an 800-page book into a movie while spending time with stuff that is, in the long run, rather trivial.

Familial relationships amongst the Order/Death Eaters shouldn't be discussed in this movie anyway. Most of the audience will have forgotten most of what's occurred in this one by May of 2007.

I don't know what was going on with the Barty Crouch Jr./Longbottom thing, nor will I attempt to explain it.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

MAY HAVE SPOILERS!!

If you havent read the books and you see the movie then it is a great movie. But i htought they killed it. I mean it was pretty and everything and it was good acting but just parts in it ticked me off.

20 reasons why lekana doesn't like this movie:

1. Winky, Dobby, and S.P.E.W. Where'd it go i thought that was a main thing in it and couldn't believe they took it out.
    2. The Quidditch World Cup. I was looking forward to seeing the mascots and see the fake out seeker thing and nothing all you get is them coming in the stadium. The deatheaters are suppose to run in fear of the dark mark and barty crouch jr. shouldn't be walking around he shouldn't even be introduced tell almost the end.
    3. Hogwarts just seems to be a hotel not a school, no mention of classes or anything. And the setting of the movies change way too much. Pick one place to film already i mean with cliffs or without, flat land or not.
    4. First task. The dragon thing on hogwarts wtf was that?
    5. No charlie! I wanted to see charlie weasly and they just mention him.
    6. Neville isn't suppose to give the gillyweed to him dobby is NO DOBBY!
    7. Rita Skeeter was played wonderfully but wheres the part where shes a bug? How are they going to explain how harrys story gets out in the next movie aye? And wheres the part where Mrs. Weasly is mad at hermoine?
    8. What about the dead guy in the woods? It shows him then cuts to harry in DD's office and he doesn't say anything about it?
    9. DD's mean!
    10. The Blaste ended skerwts? where are they. The maze had alot of stuff left out in it.
    11. Voldy had no nose!!! I always pictured him with a nose not slits.
    12. Wormtail was scared when int he presence of voldy. And he says the names of the deatheaters sofast that you cant hear about crabb and goyles daddys.
    13. Barty Crouch Jr. was suppose to die so that's why no believes him in the next one.
    14. adressing cedrics death, wtf "A kid has died we are sad voldy is back but we don't care that much go home and have a nice summer." that's it basicly.
    15. The end, "Oh yay cedric is dead but we're going home!"
    "Oh yay voldy is back but we're going home!"
    16. The end "write me guys" WTF is that, the greatest known evil is back and you are going to worry about keeping in touch over the summer. THE GREATEST KNOWN EVIL!!!!!!!! Don't you people get that? "Send the kids home, they don't have to worry about dying beacuse of the The Greatest Known Evil is out on the lose. That's nonsense. What a frog in my beard? That's nonsense." I mean are they oblivous to what had happened and that a kid showed up dead? grr
    17. DD explaining the wand thing. He didn't really.
    18. The whole movie was choppy it went from one seen to another without any transtions.
    19. My theater was as cold as it was outside. 45 degrees F. My nose was red cause it was so cold in there.
    20. I had to pay 7.75$ to go and see a movie that made me mad cause they cut so much out. I mean it wouldn't hurt yeah to make 2 movies. In fact do what LOTR did and sell mercendise and have a couple months time inbetween so you can make more money!

I loved the acting and it was a good movie for what it was but i hated how they cut so much out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lekana
    MAY HAVE SPOILERS!!

If you havent read the books and you see the movie then it is a great movie. But i htought they killed it. I mean it was pretty and everything and it was good acting but just parts in it ticked me off.

20 reasons why lekana doesn't like this movie:

1. Winky, Dobby, and S.P.E.W. Where'd it go i thought that was a main thing in it and couldn't believe they took it out.
    2. The Quidditch World Cup. I was looking forward to seeing the mascots and see the fake out seeker thing and nothing all you get is them coming in the stadium. The deatheaters are suppose to run in fear of the dark mark and barty crouch jr. shouldn't be walking around he shouldn't even be introduced tell almost the end.
    3. Hogwarts just seems to be a hotel not a school, no mention of classes or anything. And the setting of the movies change way too much. Pick one place to film already i mean with cliffs or without, flat land or not.
    4. First task. The dragon thing on hogwarts wtf was that?
    5. No charlie! I wanted to see charlie weasly and they just mention him.
    6. Neville isn't suppose to give the gillyweed to him dobby is NO DOBBY!
    7. Rita Skeeter was played wonderfully but wheres the part where shes a bug? How are they going to explain how harrys story gets out in the next movie aye? And wheres the part where Mrs. Weasly is mad at hermoine?
    8. What about the dead guy in the woods? It shows him then cuts to harry in DD's office and he doesn't say anything about it?
    9. DD's mean!
    10. The Blaste ended skerwts? where are they. The maze had alot of stuff left out in it.
    11. Voldy had no nose!!! I always pictured him with a nose not slits.
    12. Wormtail was scared when int he presence of voldy. And he says the names of the deatheaters sofast that you cant hear about crabb and goyles daddys.
    13. Barty Crouch Jr. was suppose to die so that's why no believes him in the next one.
    14. adressing cedrics death, wtf "A kid has died we are sad voldy is back but we don't care that much go home and have a nice summer." that's it basicly.
    15. The end, "Oh yay cedric is dead but we're going home!"
    "Oh yay voldy is back but we're going home!"
    16. The end "write me guys" WTF is that, the greatest known evil is back and you are going to worry about keeping in touch over the summer. THE GREATEST KNOWN EVIL!!!!!!!! Don't you people get that? "Send the kids home, they don't have to worry about dying beacuse of the The Greatest Known Evil is out on the lose. That's nonsense. What a frog in my beard? That's nonsense." I mean are they oblivous to what had happened and that a kid showed up dead? grr
    17. DD explaining the wand thing. He didn't really.
    18. The whole movie was choppy it went from one seen to another without any transtions.
    19. My theater was as cold as it was outside. 45 degrees F. My nose was red cause it was so cold in there.
    20. I had to pay 7.75$ to go and see a movie that made me mad cause they cut so much out. I mean it wouldn't hurt yeah to make 2 movies. In fact do what LOTR did and sell mercendise and have a couple months time inbetween so you can make more money!

I loved the acting and it was a good movie for what it was but i hated how they cut so much out.
    1. SPEW was the most God-awful thing in the entire series, and would have added time to a movie that was already 159 minutes long. It's unnecessary and (imo) unbearable even in the books.
    2. This is a movie, not a book. They needed to establish Barty Crouch's existence without spending text talking about him. This is a necessary plot change. I admit that I would have liked to have seen some Quidditch, but I understand why it was cut.
    3. I understand how you feel.
    4. It was giving people their broomstick fetish when Quidditch couldn't be used.
    5. Meh.
    6. Including Dobby would open up too many doors without being able to shut them. Having Neville give it to him cuts out point B on the way to A and C. Much easier to do it this way.
    7. Having Harry get his story out in the next one probably will not be there. Most non-HP fans will not sit through a 4-hour retelling of the book.
    8. I understand what you mean.
    9. Michael Gambon doesn't understand what the hell he's doing. He needs to be removed from his role NOW. Bring back Richard Harris from the dead or something. I was hoping that his acting in PoA was a result of Alfonso Cuaron, but it's not - he really just doesn't understand.
    10. Too much time, and too many other scenes would have needed to be included to have the Blast-Ended Skrewts. The essence of the maze was changed so that they wouldn't have to include an extra 5 minutes of fighting monsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by <i>Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire</i>, American Version, page 643
    The thin man stepped out of the cauldren, staring at Harry . . . and Harry started back into the face that had haunted his nightmares for three years. Whiter than a skull, with wide, livid scarlet eyes and a nose that was flat as a snake's with slits for nostrils . . .
    12. Meh.
    13. We'll see what happens.
    14. Did you want a carbon copy of Dumbledore's speech, that would have added more time?
    15. The director hardly wants everyone to be depressed upon leaving the theater, and he wants them to feel some closure.
    16. ^ Same
    17. I agree. A more clear, not necessarily longer, explanation was needed for Priori Incantatum.
    18. I can understand what you mean. This is an inevitable consequence of turning a 734-page book into a 2 1/2-hour movie.
    20. 2 movies would be absolutely disastrous for the franchise.

casual mind slip

I loved the movie. Yay the Weird Sisters! (sorry I'm a big radiohead fan and went nuts when I saw them, although they didn't have a lot of the in the movie) I knew that they'd have to cut out a lot, but I was still open minded about the movie as a whole, and found all of the shots amazingly beautiful. Also, one of the things they changed was where the person who send the mark of death in the air, wasn't it suppose to be in a forest? But instead it was at the actual campsite, and yeah, the whole Winky thing. DD scared me too, I was kind of shocked when he attacked Harry, I always thought DD knew Harry well enough that he wouldn't put his name in the goblet. But overall, it was entertaining.