Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America's Imperialism

Default America's Imperialism

Hey I was just wandering what imperialism means? Like for example would this be called American imperialism over Panama if they sent military troops to help Panama fight for independence against Colombia and then after the U.S. won the war, Panama and U.S. sign a treaty which gives Panama independence and enabled the U.S. to build the canal in Panama. Would the U.S. being able to control the 10-mile wide canal zone be called imperialism???
    I've laid my memories and dreams upon those wings..

Yes, I would think so.

Yes it is, and a better thing to ask is the US really a democracy or is it only a few steps away from being a Fascist nation? And from what I am learning in my Sociology class the answer is yes.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Somewhat, as the president (I do believe it was a Roosevelt?) fought very hard to get that land, because it was vital for something important in history which I forgot. Getting to the west coast to bring stuff to Hawaii to fight in the war, I think.

But, get ready kiddos, it's that time again! This is gonna be an ANTI-USA THREAD! Let's get ready, fellow Americans, to be called fat corrupt immoral slobs who drive gas guzzlin' monster trucks at 90 miles per hour potentially crushing small countries and bunny rabbits! Wheeeeeee!
    Last edited by Rye; 11-18-2005 at 01:41 AM.

<!--Hey Cloud 9, OVER HERE!!!-->
    [leeza]*snip*

This was absolutely NOT necessary. Please do NOT provoke other members. ~ Leeza[/leeza]

Really though if you people knew half the things the CIA and our government really did you people would be throwing up big time.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Jeebus christ. I just love seeing these things. the word "flame bait" comes to mind something serious.

and... I'm thinking the Panama canal isn't really our best example. I mean, Look at the islands in the tropics that aren't "states" persay but are under US protection and influence. frankly, pretty much any major world power is going to be "imperialist" to some degree.

Now that i've said something mildly neutral. *raises insta-shield of protection before deluge of hate and criticism falls upon all americans, regardless of truth, relevancy, and ignoring the actions of any other current or past nationto focus solely on "american evil and corruption"*

I think a good example of American Imperialism is spreading democracy across the world and during the mid-20th century, the forceful halt on communism, or attempted halt at any rate

Well if that is where I was headed then I'll stop, but most of the world hates Americans and American citizens don't even know the real reasons why, it's really a sad situation this whole world is in. But Like I said before I shall now stop.

but most of the world hates Americans and American citizens don't even know the real reasons why
    Thats because no full fledged American adult can think past their TV screens.

Actually it's because our media is controlled by the Multi-national corporations who also own the CIA, WTO, IMF, WORLD BANK, and our own stinking government. They get us to only watch sports and not get politically active.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

if America sucks so bad why don't you

a) move somewhere else
    b) get off your ass and fix it
    c) whine about it over the internet
    d) troll an internet forum

Actually it's because our media is controlled by the Multi-national corporations who also own the CIA, WTO, IMF, WORLD BANK, and our own stinking government. They get us to only watch sports and not get politically active.
    Like I said, it's because nobody can think past their TV screens.

True that, I thought you were refering to some other aspect of American culture, and to that other person I am working on things to fix the problem.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

*chuckle* I'm sure you will. Actually, we know why you hate us. You assume that we find ourselves to be superior to you and as such deem our methods of government to be more suitable and "right" as opposed to any others. And when pigheaded politicians try to impose on foreign matters, everyone gets their panties in a bunch.

Newsflash to all of you, this aint new. before America was the A**hole country, it was britain, or france, or the Roman empire, or the Freaking Chinese. pick an era, there was some A**hole country who's politicians were convinced they were right. and, right along with it, a good majority of the citizens in those countries didn't agree with it. everyone. thinks. they're. right. You have your opinions, and you think you're right. whether that opinion is that "everyones entitled to their own opinion" or fascism, whenever someone with a different opinion tries to influence someone? people are going to cry about it. so whatever, nobody's going to shut up about big evil america until something else becomes "bigger" and "more evil" in the world view. My bet? China. Yeah, China will try and take over japan or something in a bit and then China will be the A**hole country. so go ahead, cry about how big and evil and egotistical and whatever else "america" is, but it makes you as ignorant as you claim we are, because, once again, ninety percent of us don't agree with it anyway. so have fun with the b****ing.