Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: America's Imperialism

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If this thread continues in this fashion it will be closed faster than fleas can jump on my cats.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Well anyways, I never said I hated the US and I am as American as an American can get, but since our government gets us to think safety net programs like medicare, madecaid, and welfare are bad and thus puts more of our taxes to fund the M.I.C. it just makes me so mad. And what's worse Bush is trying to get rid of the Endangered Species Act.

But now I shall stop and get back to the orginal question, Yes the US's actions can be considered imperialistic.

For those who do not know what Imperialism is, here is a short definition provided by dictionary.com

imperialism n. The policy, practice, or advocacy of seeking, or acquiescing in, the extension of the control, dominion, or empire of a nation, as by the acquirement of new, esp. distant, territory or dependencies, or by the closer union of parts more or less independent of each other for operations of war, copyright, internal commerce, etc.

Shortly put, that means a nation state trying to extend its control or influence over an area or country, in aggresive diplomacy, or direct military invasion.

I would also like to note that the countries here are only those affected negatively by imperialism and also, that I have only listed countries that were directly affected by imperialism, this includes;
    Installing puppet leaders, squashing of a coup , assasination of a leader, helping a coup against a leader, spreading of propaganda and trade blockades
    So most , (if not all) of the countries listed will have had one or more of the previous actions inflicted upon them by the United States of America.

Countries affected by American Imperialism:
    Afghanistan

Angola

Argentina

Bosnia

Bolivia

Brazil

Cambodia

China

Chile

Cuba

Columbia

Croatia

The Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Egypt

Germany

Greece

Grenada

Guam

Guatemala

Guyana

Haiwaï

Haïti

Honduras

Iceland

Iran

Iraq

Libya

Lebanon

Panama

Peru

Phillipenes

Puerto Rico

Poland

Korea (North & South)

Kuwait

Laos

Libya

Nicaragua

Macedonia

Mexico

Samoa

Saudi Arabia

Somalia

South Africa

Soviet Union

Sudan

Oman

Venezuela

Vietnam (North & South)

Virgin Islands

Yugoslavia

Zaire (Congo)

Here are website's if you still try to denie such atrocities

http://www.neravt.com/left/invade.htm

http://cpa.org.au/special.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    I think a good example of American Imperialism is spreading democracy across the world and during the mid-20th century, the forceful halt on communism, or attempted halt at any rate
    What good is "democracy" if your STARVING to death along with 80% of the population? And in the 50's-70's they supported Fascist/Military dictators. I would rather have a good president/dictator like Fidel castro with a good and relaxing life. Then to have some bloody idiot like Bush while i live in a 1 room apartment and a 14 hour per day on minimum wage.

<b>Use the edit button instead of double posting please.

Also, you said Lybia twice. --foa</b>
    Last edited by FFGuevara; 11-18-2005 at 02:29 AM.

I believe you interpeted my post wrong. I never meant to say that the example was "good" to say that it benefits others, just a "well-put" example of how American Imperialism is

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    I believe you interpeted my post wrong. I never meant to say that the example was "good" to say that it benefits others, just a "well-put" example of how American Imperialism is
    But it didnt benefit them at all. The only one who got benefits was the US goverment and the dictator that was sucking up too them.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Yeah, Cuba. That makes awesome sense. The country that ships thousands of illegal immigrants over to us in innertube rafts who are just praying that the currents take them to Miami and away from the coast guard. obviously, everyone there has a "happy, relaxing" life. The reason people come to the US is because the standard of living is good. we have a retard for a president, granted. most people have retards for presidents. we might have a bigger one, thats luck of the draw i guess. It's the problem with democracy on any kind of large scale. you either establish a fascist government and deal with a set brand of idiot, or you go democratic with Billions of citizens to satisfy, and you get two different types of vague, middle line, idiot to choose from. we have two parties, and aside from whether thetaxs get raised a tenth of a percent or get lowered a tenth of a percent, and whether the president is pro-choice or pro-life, I don't really see half a craps worth of difference in my daily life. why is that? because with billions of citizens to make happy, politicans will always ride the middle line. then people on either extreme get pissed. this differs from a fascist govt. in that in a fascist govt, they ride whatever line they decide they want to ride. then the people that don't believe in THAT line get pissed. and then killed.

Me? i'll take democracy. as screwed as it is, it's the best choice you've got for satisfying a larger percentage of the populus. aside from some kind govt. consisting of 20 person groups in communes across the country, without any federal backing, that the best your going to get with making everyone happy.

Edit: and i think you still took that wrong. he said it Good as in "fitting example" not good as in "good idea" or "morally right"

Yeah, Cuba. That makes awesome sense. The country that ships thousands of illegal immigrants over to us in innertube rafts who are just praying that the currents take them to Miami and away from the coast guard. obviously, everyone there has a "happy, relaxing" life. The reason people come to the US is because the standard of living is good.
    The majority of those refugees are NOT Cuban. They are from other Latin American nations. And their living standards own the living standards of other Capitalist Latin American countries.

We have a retard for a president, granted. most people have retards for presidents. we might have a bigger one, thats luck of the draw i guess.
    And a huge flaw in the current system of Democracy.

It's the problem with democracy on any kind of large scale. you either establish a fascist government and deal with a set brand of idiot, or you go democratic with Billions of citizens to satisfy,
    Would you of been satified if you could barelly afford anything and lived on a minimum budget? According to a recent poll the majority of Russians WISHED they still had the USSR, since at least then a Dentist apointment didnt cost $10,000 like now.

and you get two different types of vague, middle line, idiot to choose from. we have two parties,
    Where's the choice in that? Your choices are narrowed down to 2 parties? And Both of them are similar! Thats not a choice a ability to choose would be several parties different from each other.

and aside from whether thetaxs get raised a tenth of a percent or get lowered a tenth of a percent, and whether the president is pro-choice or pro-life, I don't really see half a craps worth of difference in my daily life. why is that? because with billions of citizens to make happy, politicans will always ride the middle line.
    .... And why cant you do that without Democracy? And what do you even mean by "middle line"? If you havent noticed these past 5 years you've been going more right winged everyday.

then people on either extreme get pissed. this differs from a fascist govt. in that in a fascist govt, they ride whatever line they decide they want to ride. then the people that don't believe in THAT line get pissed. and then killed.
    Why are you telling me this? I already know Fascism sucks. Seriouslly why even mention the obvious about Fascism?

Me? i'll take democracy. as screwed as it is, it's the best choice you've got for satisfying a larger percentage of the populus. aside from some kind govt. consisting of 20 person groups in communes across the country, without any federal backing, that the best your going to get with making everyone happy.
    If you wanna satify the majority then dont leave them starving looking for scrape's. Democracy is good but whats the use if your going to starve to death or your homeless?
    Last edited by FFGuevara; 11-25-2005 at 12:18 AM.