Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trance

I never really try to get the bar filled for boss fights. i just go with it whenever it happens.

Personally, the only Trance that I use extensively is Zidane’s Grand Lethal, and that’s mainly because I can’t be stuffed building up thievery to 9999….

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris
    Personally, I think trance is the most logical Limit system. It makes sense that you wouldn’t be able to store a massive energy flux like that…
    Of course, there's no difficulty in "storing energy" prior to the actual realization of Trance. :rolleyes2

Really, the "logic" of Trance doesn't overcome its comparatively poor gameplay implementation. That's only an opinion, of course, but Trance remains my least favorite Limit Break system (except, understandably, for FFVI).
    Last edited by Masamune·1600; 11-23-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune∙1600
    Of course, there's no difficulty in "storing energy" prior to the actual realization of Trance. :rolleyes2
    I wish I could think of a better example, but I always considered limits to be an ‘orgasm’ of energy.

Kuja: So...an eruption of anger against one's surroundings induces a
    complete Trance! It's not the will to live, nor is it the desire to
    protect another!
    As the characters are physically abused, it causes energy to build within them, caused primarily by anger (as Kuja says). Eventually, it gets to the point where the build up of energy becomes so great that it can no longer be stored, and causes the energy fluctuation that induces the trance transformation, or the limit break in the case of other FF games. Going back to my ‘orgasm’ metaphor, it would be exceedingly difficult to maintain control of this energy before it is released (…I feel so dirty right now), thus the idea that you cannot ‘store’ Trance is far more accurate than game such as FFVII and FFX (especially the latter, in which it doesn’t even limit you from using the attack command…).

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

ToDs right.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Blog Entries

Yeah, I love this game but the Trance system is unfortunately very bad.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune∙1600
    but what happens in trance is there becomes so much energy that it cant be stored further and just unleashes.if it were possible to store for longer trances would be even better though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

It seems to me that trances come along much slower than the limit breaks of FF7.... it takes FOREVER to go into trance, but i'm still at the place where you get Ramuh...

Wasn't trance by definition a mass of emotion, and not neccessarily energy? Hence I agree also with ToD, since if you gather all this emotion during a battle, after the battle the emotion would generally wear off.

Although I think if you see it from this perspective, you should be able to carry some unused trance over since I don't know of anyone that goes from ultra-pissed to calm in a moments time.

couldnt u get nearly at trance then equip high tide and make sure ur spirit is 0

Unfortunately, I don't give a crap about Trance's explanation. So I'm with Masamune.

I wish I could think of a better example, but I always considered limits to be an ‘orgasm’ of energy.

protect another!
    As the characters are physically abused, it causes energy to build within them, caused primarily by anger (as Kuja says). Eventually, it gets to the point where the build up of energy becomes so great that it can no longer be stored, and causes the energy fluctuation that induces the trance transformation, or the limit break in the case of other FF games. Going back to my ‘orgasm’ metaphor, it would be exceedingly difficult to maintain control of this energy before it is released (…I feel so dirty right now), thus the idea that you cannot ‘store’ Trance is far more accurate than game such as FFVII and FFX (especially the latter, in which it doesn’t even limit you from using the attack command…).
    You're missing the point. While FFIX's Trance system may come closer to reflecting how such an ability should be utilized, it doesn't go the entire way. Kuja suggests that an eruption of anger triggers Trance, yet Trance does not occur every time a character is hit. However the gauge builds--and remains where it left off, regardless of how much time had passed between the previous build-up of the gauge, and the actual realization of Trance. Conceivably, one could play for several discs without reaching Trance, including interludes for Tetra Master, stays at Inns, and so on. Realistically, one would not be able to summon up "anger" from a long-forgotten battle after many momentous events, yet this is what the system allows. Also of note is that Trance only builds in battle; regardless of how angry (and, often, anger outside of battle is more justified than anger resulting from some inconsequential, unrequired random encounter) a character becomes when speaking with another, Trance is unaffected.

Again, Trance might be more accurate than other Limit systems, but it is nowhere near perfect with respect to the plot, and therefore does not overcome its annoying implementation as a gameplay element.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain Cai
    Wasn't trance by definition a mass of emotion, and not neccessarily energy? Hence I agree also with ToD, since if you gather all this emotion during a battle, after the battle the emotion would generally wear off.
    Trance is, as suggested by Kuja, triggered by an outburst of anger.

protect another!
    Trance results in the temporary acquisition of certain powers; these are not limited to action abilities, but also affect one's status in battle. When the "surge of emotion" subsides, Trance naturally wears off. If the emotion could be protracted, the Trance, arguably, would also last longer. As a result, Kuja's "permanent Trance" fits this framework.

Kuja: It's Trance! You know how it works. But a normal Trance won't be
    enough to defeat you... You're all as resilient as oglops. Even tiny
    moogles possess the power of Trance... When I saw that in Gulug Volcano,
    I came up with a plan. It was easy. I just needed to borrow the power
    from wretched souls that can't die... Where did I acquire it? It was the
    Invincible, or should I say, that large eyeball in the sky? The ship
    sucked up the souls of Madain Sari, the Iifa Tree, Alexandria, to feed
    upon them... When it fought Bahamut at the Iifa Tree, the Invincible drew
    in a powerful spirit... Can you guess to whom it belonged?
    Because Kuja's Trance is enhanced by numerous souls, it goes beyond anything inherent to the party, and one might think that an anger that lasts beyond death could be called near-perpetual. As a result, Kuja can remain in Trance indefinately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain Cai
    Although I think if you see it from this perspective, you should be able to carry some unused trance over since I don't know of anyone that goes from ultra-pissed to calm in a moments time.
    Exactly. The storyline implementation of Trance only goes halfway, which is to me not enough, considering its flaws as regards the actual battle design.

couldnt u get nearly at trance then equip high tide and make sure ur spirit is 0
    Spirit can not be at 0, but even if it could, High Tide would be unnecessary. If Spirit was at 0, the normal Trance range would be 0-0, which would necessitate zero units being added to the gauge anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune 1600
    You're missing the point. While FFIX's Trance system may come closer to reflecting how such an ability should be utilized, it doesn't go the entire way. Kuja suggests that an eruption of anger triggers Trance, yet Trance does not occur every time a character is hit. However the gauge builds--and remains where it left off, regardless of how much time had passed between the previous build-up of the gauge, and the actual realization of Trance.
    Think about it this way. Say, someone comes up to you one day and stabs you with a pencil. It hurts like hell but it doesn’t draw blood and it only happens once, out of the blue. The incident would probably be soon forgotten. Now let’s imagine that everyday, you get stabbed by the same prick. Even though the pain only lasts for a short time, and it only happens once a day, eventually you will begin to resent being punished in this way far more than if it was to only happen once. This will inevitably cause your rage to build to the point where it annoys you so much that you collect his f@#$ing head (I love Kill Bill…). Once your anger has exploded in this manner and you have committed whatever deplorable act you can think of on the reached soul, you will most likely feel much better, thus the anger dissipates (linking back to my ‘orgasm’ metaphor).

Now let’s think of Zidane and Co. They are constantly bombarded with enemies, ranging from once a day to every few minutes. It is logical to assume that they are going to be much more pissed when they get hit for the eightieth time then they are the first few times. The time that passes between battles is never really great enough (in terms of the story) for any of this rage to dissipate, thus it inevitably leads to the Trance Transformation.

Conceivably, one could play for several discs without reaching Trance, including interludes for Tetra Master, stays at Inns, and so on. Realistically, one would not be able to summon up "anger" from a long-forgotten battle after many momentous events, yet this is what the system allows.
    Ultimately, the time that appears to pass during game time is not a perfect representation of the amount of time that passes in terms of the story. In FFVII, Meteor is said to fall in seven days, and yet you could sleep in many inns or use many tents, and Meteor will not get any closer. This is more a flaw in the use of items/rest areas that present the passage of time than a flaw in the Trance system.

Also of note is that Trance only builds in battle; regardless of how angry (and, often, anger outside of battle is more justified than anger resulting from some inconsequential, unrequired random encounter) a character becomes when speaking with another, Trance is unaffected.
    While this is largely true, there is at least one case in which anger caused by an out-of-battle experience causes a character to trance. The battle with the 3rd Black Waltz will always see Vivi enter a trance due to way the Black Walz ‘kills’ the Black Mages on board the airship. This clearly shows that it is not only the fury brought about by battle that can induce trance.

Think about it this way. Say, someone comes up to you one day and stabs you with a pencil. It hurts like hell but it doesn’t draw blood and it only happens once, out of the blue. The incident would probably be soon forgotten. Now let’s imagine that everyday, you get stabbed by the same prick. Even though the pain only lasts for a short time, and it only happens once a day, eventually you will begin to resent being punished in this way far more than if it was to only happen once. This will inevitably cause your rage to build to the point where it annoys you so much that you collect his f@#$ing head (I love Kill Bill…). Once your anger has exploded in this manner and you have committed whatever deplorable act you can think of on the reached soul, you will most likely feel much better, thus the anger dissipates (linking back to my ‘orgasm’ metaphor).

Now let’s think of Zidane and Co. They are constantly bombarded with enemies, ranging from once a day to every few minutes. It is logical to assume that they are going to be much more pissed when they get hit for the eightieth time then they are the first few times. The time that passes between battles is never really great enough (in terms of the story) for any of this rage to dissipate, thus it inevitably leads to the Trance Transformation.
    Refer to my comments below as to the nature of random encounters. Beyond that, however, there is still a fundamental problem with your suggestion. The "pencil example" relies on a resentment that gradually builds up with repeated incidents that are recalled by the stabbed individual (although I can't imagine anyone placidly ignoring being stabbed). With the Trance bar, all incidents are permanently stored until Trance is realized. This would include attacks and hits that, logically, would not even be remembered. Resenting something you don't remember would be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by ToD
    Ultimately, the time that appears to pass during game time is not a perfect representation of the amount of time that passes in terms of the story. In FFVII, Meteor is said to fall in seven days, and yet you could sleep in many inns or use many tents, and Meteor will not get any closer. This is more a flaw in the use of items/rest areas that present the passage of time than a flaw in the Trance system.
    Actually, no. Random encounters are of themselves non-canonical, unnecessary events. Nevertheless, they influence the Trance gauge. You suggested previously that Zidane and company are "bombarded with enemies, ranging from once a day to every few minutes." These battles do not necessarily occur, and thus are irrelevant to the story line. Any "delay" in a town, for example, has as much legitimacy as such a battle. One might assume that random encounters exist, of course, but this merely reinforces the fundamental reality that gameplay and story diverge at points. Thus it is with Trance. It might come closer than past attempts to embodying your view of proper Limit mechanics, but it is far from perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ToD
    While this is largely true, there is at least one case in which anger caused by an out-of-battle experience causes a character to trance. The battle with the 3rd Black Waltz will always see Vivi enter a trance due to way the Black Walz ‘kills’ the Black Mages on board the airship. This clearly shows that it is not only the fury brought about by battle that can induce trance.
    Again, this implies a fundamental inconsistency. Given this event, one would think that all situations that anger the characters would elevate the gauge, if not activate complete Trance.

Again, I return to my initial point. The method of incurring Trance does do some justice to its progenitive plot devices. However, this incorporation into gameplay is not perfect, which makes the gameplay issues of Trance all the more annoying.

"As the characters are physically abused, it causes energy to build within them, caused primarily by anger (as Kuja says). Eventually, it gets to the point where the build up of energy becomes so great that it can no longer be stored, and causes the energy fluctuation that induces the trance transformation, or the limit break in the case of other FF games. Going back to my ‘orgasm’ metaphor, it would be exceedingly difficult to maintain control of this energy before it is released (…I feel so dirty right now), thus the idea that you cannot ‘store’ Trance is far more accurate than game such as FFVII and FFX (especially the latter, in which it doesn’t even limit you from using the attack command…"

That is how Trance works...as you enter Trance,you cannot hold it any longer..you have to unleash it..

that would be awesome..if Trance would be triggered in real life =)
    You don't need a reason to help people - Zidane (FFIX)