Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hypnotize - System of a Down

an unusually clever whore

I don't think anyone's arguing that System of a Down is metal (not that I read through this entire thread to know that for sure, but I'm giving the members of EoFF the benefit of the doubt). They are to metal what My Chemical Romance is to emo, ie. not.

I despise them, and my boyfriend loves them. It makes for interesting conflict!

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

soad's been labeled as nu-metal for at least four years now, for what it's worth.

an unusually clever whore

Nu-metal and metal are very different. Linkin Park is nu-metal. Would <b><u>you</u></b> call Linkin Park real metal?

Hehe, thanks for there being some sense in this place. My genre descritions are not Nazi like, I don't go out spouting that you need to be killed for liking the genre, I just actually tell the truth with fact to back it up.

If you can't handle the truth than that is your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yliette View Post
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Isnt that a line from a movie?

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by v.e.n.o.m.
    Isnt that a line from a movie?
    What, If you can't handle the truth than that's your problem?

Maybe, but if it is I sure as hell didn't get it from that.
    Avril's become more profane now with lines such as "Hell yeah, I'm a m***** f***in' princess"
    No matter how much you and Sigmund Freud want it to be, 'mother' is not a curse word.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Hope
    I just actually tell the truth with fact to back it up.
    Wait, what, fact, where?

I've seen absolutely zero fact, all I've seen is "THIS IS WHAT I THINK AND IT MUST BE RIGHT".

I don't get how other people liking a band suddenly ruins and destroys your precious little world, yet oddly, it seems to, which leads me to believe you really lack quite a lot of...anything in your life when music affects you this much.

And no, I couldn't care less that you don't like System of a Down or any other countless bands.
    It's the fact that you seem to think that because you don't like them it gives you the right to come along, and whenever you seem someone trying to discuss what they like with other people, you troll the hell out of it with your "facts" (Read : Opinion).

I have given plenty of facts, in at least 2-3 threads that support my knowledge of metal and the different sub-genres of it. Hell, just everyone likes to think that because I can name so much off in so much detail I am being an elitest heh.

Who cares if I don't have much else in my life than music? It isn't anyones concern aside from my own, and if it were the case I would have already done something about it.

Shame none of those facts were in this thread, backing up what you were saying on this specific subject.

Citing other threads that have been around at some point doesn't exactly bolster your "argument" in this one.

And if it isn't anyone's concern how little there is in your life aside music, then what concern is it of yours what kind of music people like or how they define in theirs?

You're not being an "elitest (sic)", you're being a troll, you're deliberately trying to annoy other people behind the guise that you're some kind of musical messiah, come to save people from music that "sucks".

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    Shame none of those facts were in this thread, backing up what you were saying on this specific subject.

Citing other threads that have been around at some point doesn't exactly bolster your "argument" in this one.

And if it isn't anyone's concern how little there is in your life aside music, then what concern is it of yours what kind of music people like or how they define in theirs?

You're not being an "elitest (sic)", you're being a troll, you're deliberately trying to annoy other people behind the guise that you're some kind of musical messiah, come to save people from music that "sucks".
    Why is it if someone doesn't agree with a subject and argues their own opinion it's considered trolling? Like you haven't responded to everything she's said... Hell, you've probably done nothing but propagate more trolling.

Not agreeing with a subject is fine, calling everyone "A BUNCH OF IGNORANT ARROGANT assholes" is trolling.

Fine I will effing post the genre discriptions here, and FURTHER make this go off topic.

Thrash: A combination of old school Hardcore Punk with Classic Heavy Metal, early thrash bands took the two emerging styles merged them added a healthy dose of speed and went from there. One word defines the instruments in thrash "fast", Riffs are sets of fast chords, drums are played in double bass rolls and fast snare reliant blasts, bass is often limited to fast plucking of the top two strings. Vocals are usually intense but clean and lack vibrato. Slayer, Testament and Exodus are all good examples.

Black Metal: An extreme evolution of thrash about pushing metal to its audible extremes. Guitars are fast and abrasive, often quite minimilistic, and often tremolo picked. Drums are usually fast double bass sections or fast blast beats, usually accompanied by a ride or hi-hat. Vocals are often shrieked in a shrill high-pitched tone, and production is often very rough to enhance the atmosphere and abrasiveness of the music. Mayhem, Darkthrone, Gorgorth, Burzum and Kreig are all excellent examples of Pure Black Metal. Some BM bands try to incorporate synths and more electronic atmospherics into their music, these bands are often called "Goth Metal" by BM fans although this is inaccurate, the term "Symphonic Black Metal" is a lot closer to the truth.

Death Metal: The other evolution of Thrash, this branch of bands went in a very different direction with the Thrash prototype, they thickened the guitar tone, inserted a lot of musicianship, morbidity, groove and speed (yes even more). Double bass sections are usually faster, more blasts are used and riffs are usually a lot more technical. However the main thing that sets DM apart is the vocals. Vibrato soaked growls that are projected from the abdomen and shaped with the throat, this is as important part of the music as any of the instruments. Morbid Angel, Cryptopsy, Origin, and Death are all good examples of Death Metal.

Power Metal: A straight evolution of Classic Heavy Metal, through Iron Maiden who despite not being Power themselves were a massive influence on the genre. Power Metal places a high focus on guitar harmonies and melodies, extravagant solos are used often and riffs tend to "gallop" due to the chord progressions used. Vocals are typically high and soaring, subject matter is quite often fantasy based. Lost Horizon, Hammerfal and Stratovarius are good examples of this.

Melodic Death Metal: Or "Melo-Death" is a combination of Power Metal structures with those of Death Metal, Maidenesque twin guitar harmonies are used liberally, drums usually contain a certain amount of rhythm and groove, technicality is at a mid to high level and vocals are usually growled, although at a higher pitch than standard Death Metal. In Flames, Soilwork, At The Gates and Arch Enemy are all obvious examples of Melo-Death

Progressive Metal: A combination of the ideals of 70’s/80’s prog bands such as Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin with the distortion, groove, rythym and structure of classic heavy Metal. What came out was a legion of bands led by Dream Theater who featured immense technical ability, numerous time signature and tempo changes, long sweeping instrumental sections and typical high soaring vocals. Each song often sounds different from the last due to the fact that they draw influence from all over the place and extravagant solo sections are almost a necessity.

Grindcore: An extreme form of Hardcore Punk. Characterized by heavy use of blast beats, heavily distorted bass, and extremely fast, grinding guitars. Vocals are typically guttural bellows, but higher pitched screams are also used. Emphasis on simplicity, just as in punk. Napalm Death, Nasum, Burned Up Bled Dry, Extreme Noise Terror and Siege are all excellent examples of Grind. Modern grind or "Tech Grind" as it is sometimes called is slightly different in that it is based more on modern Metalcore than in old school punk, the obvious examples of this are of course Pig Destroyer.

Doom Metal: This term has grown to mean "anything that draws influence from the first two Sabbath albums" but I resent that, real doom is painfully slow, depressing music, with long monotonous drones for riffs, simple drums and particularly pained vocals (usually lower than their DM counterparts). Most Doom Metal puts the emphasis more on atmosphere and "feel" of the music, rather than any individual notes or riffs. Examples include Saturnus, While Heaven Wept and Skepticism.

Sludge: Typically a sub-genre of hardcore, although borrowing from genres such as Industrial, Grindcore, and even Southern Rock. Characterized by incredibly slow, grinding, dirgy guitars, primarily rhythmic drumming, and screams which sound particularly painful. Subject matter can be about anything, but is most typically about drug use or various states of emotion. the most easily recognizable bands in this genre are Eyehategod, Crowbar, Soilent Green, Beaten Back To Pure, and Rabies Caste.

Goregrind: A combination of Grindcore's intensity, pace and song structure, and death metal's vocal style, musicality, groove, morbidity and technicality. Rather than the emphasis on simplicity grind has, it finds a middle ground and uses moderate technicality and repetition to create a very listenable groove. Dual vocalists are a trademark (but not essential), as is very tongue-in-cheek gore lyrical content. Pre-Necroticism Carcass, Lord Gore, Devourment, Haemorrhage, and Repulsion are good examples.

Metalcore: In short: Hardcore + A Metal Genre (Usually Thrash Or Death) Very similar to Hardcore in most respects, but instead of using either overly abstract riffs (The DEP) or simple mosh riffs (Hatebreed), they tend to use much more Thrash or Death influenced guitar work. Metalcore tends not to have the genericore Hardcore vocals and the drumming is more tribal instead of jumping between slow blast beats and rolls. Zao, Johnny Truant, Luddite Clone and Into Eternity are all good examples of the range of sound Metalcore can create.

I find it funny now you're worried about going off topic.

And are you actually going to apply those to anything useful in this topic or are we supposed to read them and go "Oooh, smart!".

Nobody aside from you is whining over whether System of a Down are metal or not.

I was more expecting the "facts" on why they're a bad band.

Bah, It was mainly because Traitor is a dick that I posted them, and felt like showing him off. How can I prove that SoaD are bad, it is opinion. I, however, only accept my own opinion and those akin to mine.

See, that's more like it.

The word opinion is key, yet from the first few posts you most certainly weren't acting like that.