Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 1.5 released! Warning: elitism inside

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Why is Firefox better than Internet Explorer? Someone sell it to me please. Thank you.

(but don't give me the ol' spyware and pop-ups (or is that pop-under? Meh, just as annoying) nonsense, because I have received both whilst browsing with Firefox )

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Simply because it doesn't lag as much and it's faster, those are good enough reasons for me.

Spyware is less common but it just happens deal with it, FF is the superior browser, IE just pisses people off alot and FF is like converting to religion after spending years as something like an athiest (Just a comparison example no offense).

LET THE HAMMER FALL

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Spyware scan while using IE: +100 found
    Same program, but after using Firefox: 3 found

Yeah you still get some, but there is a big difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoden
    Spyware is less common but it just happens deal with it, FF is the superior browser, IE just pisses people off alot and FF is like converting to religion after spending years as something like an athiest (Just a comparison example no offense).
    That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Firefox 1.5 released!

Internet geeks scream in joy!

Normal people pay no attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    Why is Firefox better than Internet Explorer? Someone sell it to me please. Thank you.

(but don't give me the ol' spyware and pop-ups (or is that pop-under? Meh, just as annoying) nonsense, because I have received both whilst browsing with Firefox )
    It's faster, and it's more efficient. If you middle click in Firefox you open up a new tab. I know you probably rolled your eyes at that, but it does save time, especially when sifting though multiple threads you want to go to or say a google search? You're also missing out on a LOT in Firefox, whether you realize it or not. Microsoft won't comply with W3C's standards. This may mean nothing to people with no web design experience, but for those of us who do have experience in web design, we know this means that IE is a broken browser.

The keyboard shortcuts save time, the fact that it's faster saves time, the fact that it actually SHOWS you the web page as the webmaster intended you to see it as saves YOU time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    Firefox 1.5 released!

Internet geeks scream in joy!

Normal people pay no attention.

Haha I'm normal! w00t 1337

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't scanned for adware with any significant results since, oh we'll call it June 2004.

I haven't scanned for adware at all in the last several months.

Previous to june 2004, I would get about 30+ warnings of spyware on any given scan. Every third day or so.

That is not a negligible difference. That is a BIG difference.

http://secunia.com/advisories/15546/

Thanks for the headsup yams:] Time to update (I haven't updated my Internet Explorer since october of 2001 )

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Tabbed browsing is god.

And I love how all the stupid IE users bitch everytime Firefox is mentioned. As if we care. If they want to do themselves a disservice by using a vastly inferior browser, that's their problem.

I also find it amusing that those who use IE are among those who know the least about computers. I don't know much about computers, but I know a lot of people that do, and they all reccomend Firefox. Every computer-smart person at EoFF that I can think of off-hand uses Firefox, to my knowledge. Coincidence?

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

BoB is "computer-smart" and he uses IE.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by ZeZipster
    It's faster, and it's more efficient. If you middle click in Firefox you open up a new tab. I know you probably rolled your eyes at that, but it does save time, especially when sifting though multiple threads you want to go to or say a google search? You're also missing out on a LOT in Firefox, whether you realize it or not. Microsoft won't comply with W3C's standards. This may mean nothing to people with no web design experience, but for those of us who do have experience in web design, we know this means that IE is a broken browser.

The keyboard shortcuts save time, the fact that it's faster saves time, the fact that it actually SHOWS you the web page as the webmaster intended you to see it as saves YOU time.
    It hasn't been faster for me. And I'm not going to roll my eyes at that, because here's the thing: I use firefox on this computer because people claim it stops TEH EVIL SPYWAREZ, but I don't use tabbed browsing. Tabs in general annoy me. I prefer multiple windows and that's what I have open, in Firefox, right now. Shocking, eh?

Also, I have yet to see a difference in pages I visit regularly when I look at them in IE and when I look at them in Firefox. I'm sure some fancy sites will look different, but I have no need to visit fancy sites. So I'm really wondering what extra dimension Firefox adds, for me personally, that IE doesn't have. I've got no reason not to use it, but I've also got no reason why I shouldn't use IE as an alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    And I love how all the stupid IE users bitch everytime Firefox is mentioned. As if we care. If they want to do themselves a disservice by using a vastly inferior browser, that's their problem.
    As if you care? If you people don't care when people use IE, why are you all trying to convert them? Perhaps you, personally, don't, but you said "we", and by that I assume you mean Firefox users as a whole.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    BoB is "computer-smart" and he uses IE.
    I define "computer smart" as being capable of being a tech guy, knowing a lot about Windows, Linux, web browsers, etc.

I'm "computer-smart" enough to know that I don't NEED Firefox, I've done speed and spyware comparisons, there is minimal difference, if anything Firefox loads pages slower for me.

Oh, and I find it funny that Firefox users suddenly assume themselves superior to people who don't feel the need to use an alternative browser when the one they have works fine.

You don't see people making "LOOK THE NEW IE VERSION, USE IT NOW", do you?

I want a browser to look at web pages, IE does that, I don't need bells, whistles and tabs when I have all that I need.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    I'm "computer-smart" enough to know that I don't NEED Firefox, I've done speed and spyware comparisons, there is minimal difference, if anything Firefox loads pages slower for me.

Oh, and I find it funny that Firefox users suddenly assume themselves superior to people who don't feel the need to use an alternative browser when the one they have works fine.

You don't see people making "LOOK THE NEW IE VERSION, USE IT NOW", do you?

I want a browser to look at web pages, IE does that, I don't need bells, whistles and tabs when I have all that I need.
    You don't need a mouse to browse the internet. You could browse without a mouse using a lot of tabs and hotkeys. But having a mouse sure makes using a computer a helluva lot easier, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    You don't need a mouse to browse the internet. You could browse without a mouse using a lot of tabs and hotkeys. But having a mouse sure makes using a computer a helluva lot easier, eh?
    NO YOU SHUT UP!