Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are couples?

Default Who are couples?

My friend keeps on teeling me that Selphie and Zell are together,but isn't Irvine and Selphie and not Irvine and Quistis? And Seifer doesn't like anyone but he used to Rinoa,right?!o.O;
    :mog:
    Aren't they cute..?x3 <3

The only fully specified couple is Squall and Rinoa. Irvine and Selphie are implied and Zell has that thing with that library chick. Quistis gets no one, but earlier in the game, thinks that she is in love with Squall. That's about it.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Edea & Cid.

Squall and Rinoa implied.
    Irvine and Selphie implied.
    What for Seifer?

Seifer&#180;s ROMANTIC dream was to be the sorceress knight.
    I can&#180;t see how can he do anything good to Rinoa being Edea&#180;s knight.
    And for U=R believers I must say that Seifer didn&#180;t knew anything about Ulti on the first disc.
    Considering how he fight for the sorceress I must say that he loves Edea.
    I also believe that Zell and Quistis were married before Hyne created WOTC and put Quistis as an instructor.
    Thus the approximation between Squall and Quistis is explained.Squall is a talented student.Zell is a less rank student.The approximation between Quistis and Squall is more probable.Also the approximation between Zell and the librarian is more probable.
    That&#180;s Hyne&#180;s plan.That way Hyne can also freeze the relationship between Squall and Rinoa.
    If you think about it you will see that at the beggining of the game our characters were on a position which prevents them to relate with they mate.For instance.

Rinoa was separated from Squall on the orphanage.
    Selphie and Irvine were scattered to two distant Gardens.
    Hyne don&#180;t really knew that Martine(Laguna) would just put Irvine with our characters.
    At least he hoped not.
    Seifer was separate from Edea.
    And finally Zell were with Quistis but with very different Garden positions.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Okay, just as a warning, you have someone here who deals with fanfic a lot. First, though to deal with the original poster's question: In the game, there's just the couples mentioned.

Obviously, there's Squall and Rinoa; y'know, major plot point in the game and all. Irvine and Selphie are implied to have a connection, but whether it's going to last or not is up in the air, given their personalities and the way that they started in the first place. It's semi-popular to pair Irvine and Quistis, and I can probably talk more on that if you want to know.

I saw him mentioned, but I don't actually think that Seifer ends up with anyone or has a start during the game (though before the game, Rinoa and Seifer dated, and it might have been interesting if Square had focused more on what that means for Squall and Rinoa, with Seifer and Squall being rivals and all)--there are those that think that there was more of a relationship (on a very ugly level) between Seifer and Ultimecia, but that's a matter of taste more than anything else. Fuujin and Raijin, on the other hand, are probably closer to siblings. Really.

Edea and Cid deserve another mention, because Cid in particular is really very underrated as a character.

I really don't think that Quistis and Zell have a chance of being romantically involved, though. The problem is that Quistis sees Zell as a student, throughout the game--there's a power difference there, even if it's just in their minds. To each other, they're 'Instructor' and 'student', as much as they are 'Quistis' and 'Zell'. That's simply not a foundation for a relationship. As for Quistis and Squall, Squall is with Rinoa, and it's my opinion that Quistis didn't want Squall but the idea of Squall--it seems to me that she wasn't lying at Trabia Garden, but that she's really not that well-acquainted with her own feelings on such matters. But that's another topic.

Personally, I think Quistis and Xu would be a good match, but it would have to happen after the ending, as they're close friends at most during the game. It makes a good deal more sense than a lot of couples people come up with in stories.
    -Q

Here are some things I disagree with in FE's post.

1. Zell and Quistis were married before Hyne created WOTC
    Where did you get that idea from?

2. Rinoa was separated from Squall on the orphanage
    Rinoa was never at the orphanage, so that's just plain wrong.

List of couples

Squall and Rinoa
    Seifer and Rinoa (ended)
    Selphie and Irvine (implied)
    Zell and the Pig-tailed Girl (implied)
    Laguna and Julia (never happened, but he wanted it to)
    Quistis and Squall (never happened, but she wanted it to)
    Laguna and Raine
    Julia and General Caraway
    Edea and Cid
    Mayor Dobe and Flo

I may have missed a few...

You did, if you were going for a comprehensive list of every couple in the game, but I don't think that you missed any that were important to the poster's question. Mostly, the ones without names; the couple in Balamb Town who were part of the band, the dating two who missed each other in Dollet (and apparently can't keep their hands off of each other) and so on.
    -Q

It would be quite difficult to understand a list composed entirely of 'NPC Man and NPC Woman', so I didn't bother. All the named characters with any importance are there though.

I really don't think that Quistis and Zell have a chance of being romantically involved, though. The problem is that Quistis sees Zell as a student, throughout the game--there's a power difference there, even if it's just in their minds.
    Also my view.

However BEFORE WOTC they were married.

1. Zell and Quistis were married before Hyne created WOTC
    I showed the following coules:

Seifer/Edea
    Squall/Rinoa
    Irvine/Selphie

Since the 8 present characters were a dinasty of married couples who ruled Centra before WOTC we are left with Zell-Quistis as the only option.
    Believe-me,I can see beyound the obvious.

Rinoa was separated from Squall on the orphanage
    I think Rinoa is the true Ellone(the one we see as a child).

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Quote Originally Posted by Future Esthar
    Since the 8 present characters were a dinasty of married couples who ruled Centra before WOTC we are left with Zell-Quistis as the only option.
    Why do you assume there was any sort of connection between the eight characters prior to the events referred to in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Future Esthar
    I think Rinoa is the true Ellone
    I'd love to hear this properly justified with something other than another unfounded theory.

It can't be justified unless you assume that WOTC is true--which I, for one, don't. I think the poster had more in mind ideas for relationships based on the events in the game, and not on this very, very AU version of those events that we're referring to.
    -Q

Why do you assume there was any sort of connection between the eight characters prior to the events referred to in the game?
    There is some sort of connection.

It&#180;s like the destiny allways tends to join them.
    This is imperative on the game.
    We just had to look to Ulti&#180;s last words,the strange orphanage relationship and to the question:

How is it that Rinoa and Irvine which weren&#180;t Seed&#180;s were enabled to enter the mission to defeat Ulti?
    What about Nida?Why isn&#180;t he there(he graduates as Seed and was also at the orphanage)?
    There is a bond between the characters and they were the ones who just go to defeat her?
    Were not the other students influenced by Edea&#180;s evil on the orphanage?
    Why just send these to the future?
    I see no relation between the characters bond and Ulti herself.

Also,go see my WOTC thread.

I'd love to hear this properly justified with something other than another theory.
    It&#180;s too evident to me.
    1-Ellone&#180;s departure from the orphanage generates a trauma on Squall.
    Rinoa is the one who change Squall back.Why?
    Because she is Ellone and Squall allways loved her.His mind don&#180;t recnognize her but his heart does.Such is the power of love.It goes beyond time and space(FF8&#180;s main theme).
    2-Little Elle dresses blue and has long black hair.
    3-Rinoa is so energic that she can&#180;t stay at the same place for much time.
    Trying to scape from home while closed is a good example.She hates being closed.
    Same goes for little Elle as we saw on the flashback and as Laguna states(can&#180;t be happy on a ship).
    On the other hand,the "big Ellone" we see on the game is introverted,calm,shy and most of the time only talk when you approach her.
    Her behaviour resembles that of a cyborg.
    A cyborg could be happily on a ship for all the eternity,much less 11 years.
    A cyborg which looks like Elle and which imitates Ellone.Where do we hear about this?

The "big Ellone" is no other than Junction Machine Ellone.

Too much coincidences.

Regards,
    Big D

How does adult Ellone's behavior resemble that of a cyborg? She's quiet, sure, but I think that a lot of that has to do with her personality, and how that was developed over the course of her life--a life which, I might add, was spent being kidnapped and then being on the run for years. She did not have a normal childhood after the orphanage, and it only makes sense that that would help to shape who she is.

A lot of girls have black hair and like to wear blue. There's no reason to think that Rinoa's entire background is a fabrication just because adult Ellone is a little weird.

Rinoa and Irvine weren't SeeDs, but were put on the mission for a couple of reasons, all of which were explained in the game. Rinoa was vital to the mission, while Irvine was a competent fighter, just not a SeeD. Considering that Squall was in charge, and the mission was not an official SeeD mission with a contract and everything, it's not that unreasonable that they'd be allowed to go along. Nida didn't go because he was needed to pilot the Garden, and because Squall is the one who chose the teams. We could as well ask why Xu or any other SeeD wasn't there; it's because Squall chose his own teams.

In addition, it's fairly reasonable to say that Edea was not evil while at the orphanage, and when it's said 'prior to the game', that ought to mean 'prior to the orphanage', too. Any connection before the orphanage has no basis in canon.
    -Q

If you were the daughter of a general who closes you inside house and heads the attacks on a city you love so much being your enemy you would not be an energic happy person would you?But Rinoa is .
    So there is no reason to think that "Adult Ellone" is introverted just because of some kidnappings.
    It&#180;s not like if Elle was sexually abused or something like that.

Regards,
    Big D

I didn't say that that was the only reason. We could also note that her parents were murdered and her mother-figure, Raine, died. We could note any number of reasons, or we could simply say that she's naturally quiet. It's not like it's a bad thing to be quiet, after all, and it doesn't make you inhuman. Heck, she even had a sense of humor, still.

And I don't think that Rinoa was routinely locked inside the house, nor do I think it really matters, even including that General Caraway was almost certainly not the only General.

The point is, there is absolutely no support for the idea that Ellone is a cyborg.

Now, to put it more on-topic, the idea of Irvine and Quistis being together was brought up by the original poster--it's kind of popular, and it actually does make sense, if Irvine can get over being...Well, Irvine. He and Quistis actually have some striking similarities.
    -Q