Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Ocean

It is a pretty good game, but it takes along time to complete even if you do not do any of the sidequests. It has good characters, the voice acting is pretty good and the fight system is awesome. It can, at times, be a little repetitive and frustrating. The game is challeneging (especially in 4D mode *shudder*). It took me a while to finish it the first time i played though because i got to the end with doing as little leveling as my characters as possible and it turned out a lot of the bosses in the end were incrediably strong, with area attacks and tons of health.
    Now for some words of wisdom:
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.....hmmm wait just a minute.

Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."
    - Britney Spears, Pop Singer

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Dragon
    Has anybody played Star Ocean Till the End of Time Thinking about buying it is it worth it?
    I've been playing it and so far I'd say it rocks seven million kinds of ways. Plus Cliff is quite literally the man:

It's worth buying the game just for him alone.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Here is a relatively easy to follow review of Star Ocean 3- if you find yourself agreeing with some of the points, you may want to pick it up. If not, stay away from it, obviously.

Til the End of Time isn't really a breakthrough game. It's so-so, really. I got it because I loved SO2. I was expecting the tranquil, haunting music, the beautiful green backgrounds, the primitive atmosphere and return of small villages. Instead, I got a sci-fi adventure that spiralled me through space and into a plot twist that absolutely pains my heart when I think of its two predecessors.

SO3's characters are flat. Really flat. The hero is the stereotypical semi-rebellious character carrying a sword and a hidden, apocalyptic identity destined to be revealed when *something* is at stake. His sidekick is your stereotypical weak female mage with a (presumably) big crush on the hero. Cliff, the strong arm of the cast is pretty cool, as noted above, but sometimes his dialogue is downright ridiculous and very arrg arrg I'm a tough guy don't mess with me-esque. Albel, the game's pyschotic red herring antagonist of the first disc is your average I hate the hero yet I will tag along with him after he defeats me. The only other semi interesting character besides Cliff is Maria, carrying dead weight on her shoulders and seemingly the only character with a shred of intelligence. The peppy, fun loving gal of the bunch is Peppita and don't ask about the other two. They aren't important and hardly exist. (I never played as the boy Roger).

Sound like a good cast of characters to you? If not, don't read on. If you like what you just read, then you'll enjoy a line of cliche heroes that managed to beat out Final Fantasy when it comes to cheese. I found the character interactions (something quite emphasized in SO2) highly lacking and uninteresting.

SO3 doesn't have much to present in terms of environment either. The graphics are stunning and this time, you can see (and avoid) monsters as you run past and complete maps- but if you're looking for a diverse, unique background, don't waste your time. Most of the inhabited locations on Elicoor (the main setting) are boring backwater villages and towns, save for Airyglyth (a blustery, snowy kingdom) and Acquios (a summery, refreshing and tranquil queendome). When you obtain space travel again, don't hope for anything interesting. You can only visit three other locations in space (even after so much talk of different planets and peoples!). To be fair, the futuristic cities presented later on in the game (Gemity and the one in the 4D world) are very well done and different. They do nothing for me though, since I like my villages and cities made of wood, and brick and whatnot, ala FF6.

The storyline is the make or break point for many fans. If you'e playing SO3 for the first time, expect a point in the game where you'll either say "uhhh cool" or throw your controller down in anger. Other than that, the plot is your average save the day adventure after getting caught up in a primitive nation war. The introduction of powerful, god-like beings were the high point for me and left me gaming on to see what exactly they were and what was going on. It was very sinister, very mysterious. Once I crept on in gameplay, my fun time was over and I didn't care much for the story, especially when I realized nothing much else could be done in other environments. The villain of the game is poorly done and rarely seen, giving off a nice "So what?" moment when you manage to defeat him. I think that was largely the problem I had with SO3- I find myself not caring when I got over my sugar high of having a new game to play.

The item creation system is back and I find it fun and frustrating at the same time. It costs massive amounts of FOL if you manage to use it correctly and this is the only drawback that I can report. I liked SO2's system better, but I liked the way they built on it this time around.

The sidequests will keep you busy and are reminsicent of SO2 and Valkyrie Profile...definate point there. If you do find that you're lacking in stories and characters, it's fun to get your game on there.

I advise anyone not to pay more than 25 dollars for the game. It seriously isn't worth it.

Now with Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria updates and the Valkyrie Profile shrine!

Join The Valkyrie Profile Forums!*Grand Re-Opening!*

zwuh? Fayt and Sophia were kind of clichéd, I'd agree, but calling Albel and Nel one-dimensional? The person who wrote that review must not have done any of their sidequests.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I wrote it, and no, I don't retract my statement because Albel especially IS a one dimensional character :P I TOTALLY forgot about Nel, but I think alongside Cliff and Maria, think that she's one of the three most believable characters.

Like I said, Albel was your typical pyscho. What did he do besides main and call people worm and maggot? Absolutely nothing. So. Over rated.

Well. Like I said. If you'd played all of Albel's side quests, I don't see any way you could see him as a one-dimensional character, because his rationale for behaving the way he does is explained in depth during the Crimson Scourge sidequest.

His rationale can be explained in many sidequests but it doesn't take away the fact that his character has been done over and over again in other games, novels, television shows, etc.

You can't accuse him of being "one-dimensional" if he has a clearly delineated motivation and rationale; a "two-dimensional character," possibly, but "one-dimensional character" refers specifically to characters who are solely there to move the plot along and have no clearly delineated motivations or rationales of their own. I will not argue the point that there are many characters like him in other games, but that alone does not make him a one-dimensional character, any more than it makes Kain or Shadow or Vincent a one-dimensional character.

i mostly like the FF series but this game beats out some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    You can't accuse him of being "one-dimensional" if he has a clearly delineated motivation and rationale; a "two-dimensional character," possibly, but "one-dimensional character" refers specifically to characters who are solely there to move the plot along and have no clearly delineated motivations or rationales of their own. I will not argue the point that there are many characters like him in other games, but that alone does not make him a one-dimensional character, any more than it makes Kain or Shadow or Vincent a one-dimensional character.
    My mistake sir, I'm not efficient when it comes to this character terminology, haha. You know what I meant anyway.

I do now, but obviously I was confused at first. It's fair enough though. xD

I wouldn't consider Albel a one-dimesional character, he's got an attitude but there's a side of him that's more discreet, while he doesn't show it he seems insecure.
    BUT HE STILL KICKS A HELL OF A LOT OF ARSE!!!!!!!
    At first he appears crap, but go and buy him a good weapon and enable berserk and you'll never want to take him out of your party, ever.

btw does anyone know the names of the song the play in the first fight against Biwig and against the proclaimer at the moonbase? If anyone knows please pm me! I've been looking for them for ages now!
    Normally I don't advertise or spam for stuff, but i've decided to set my cause to help a needy forum! so come and join http://s13.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_...ex.php?act=idx

I don't have SO3 yet, while I am playing on 4D Difficulty, Freya has 60-180m HP and 9-24m HP, her Ether Stike will almost always kill anybody, SUPER DEADLY attack, incredibly high chance of paralysis... Freya is the hardest superboss in SO3. D:
    Sora, Goofy, Donald and YRP of Gullwings KH2 like Crash Nebula, Lucia the Princess Of Blue Star and Sonic The Hedgehog.

[leeza]Limit must be 250 pixels, and 50kb, by Lucia Of The Blue Star.[/leeza]

SO3 is definitely worth buying. Mixed bag it might be; but it's still a fun, lengthy game with a detailed storyline and plenty of little extras to keep you occupied. I still haven't finished it. The difficulty of the last boss is hideous, but at least it's a challenge.

Personally, I hated the plot twist. But the game's other merits made up for it. The characters are entertaining, there are multiple paths to take in terms of who joins your party, and the graphics are sublime. But there are quite a few people out there who don't like it, so my suggestion would be to rent it first, and see if it's your kind of game.

SO3 is a game for smart people. Or rather, a game for those with big vocabularies. If you dont have a vast vocab, than you wont have any idea WHAT they are talking about...
    PH33R teh Rainbow.

Taste the Rainbow