Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: >> The UEFA Champions League 2005-2006 thread..

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Milan v Barca and Villarreal v Arsenal. Two of the favourites playing, and two of the underdogs are playing. Should be an interesting final.

You could say...

We larve it, larve it,
    Larve it, larve it, larve it.
    Larve it, larve it,
    Larve it, larve it, larve it!

There's no shame in losing to Barca or Milan, but to go out against Villareal now would be a real shame. But with the team as confident as they are right now, I can't really see that happening...barring a disastrous, morale-shattering defeat at Manchester United of course.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I hope Villarreal scores one or two goals tomorrow..
    and well done Barcelona..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

GOOD LUCK ARSENAL TONIGHT. I'm a Man U fan but i hope the gunners win the trophy, it's good for the premiership.

Is it possible to be incredibly confident and absolutely terrified at the same time?

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Articles

Ah just consider yourselves lucky you didn't get lumbered with Chelski in the semi-final.

I hope Fabregas has a terrible game so the media shut up about him, and that Senderos decides he is no longer a centre back but a playmaker, and tears Villarreal apart.

1-0 currently to the Gunners. Imagine if them and Middlesbrough win their respective European trophies. The Super Cup final would amuse me.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Just one goal.. seems like Villarreal still have a chance..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

A fair result in the end. Awful officiating hurt both sides, but based on the performnces 1-0 seems justified. Supposedly, the pundits were surprised by Villarreal's performance, which is bloody stupid considering that the entire country's known how good they are for months now.

Still, they put up a good fight. Still confident (yet terrified) that we can win this thing though, considering our defensive record, and their record of drawing their way through rounds.

Arsenal have been playing some odd oponents recently in their ride to the top, They played no one of note and skill in the group stages then played the worst real madrid side in fifteen years which lacks all balance and pace and the most non descript performance from Juventus i could of imagined, At last villareal give them an actualy game involving closing down and the odd tackle. all in all it was an even affair, which Arsenal didn't deserve to lose or win good thing that the spanish defence switched off for that 5 second period.

Come on Barca!
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

err what would happen if English teams won CL, UEFA, World Cup for the next ten years. Will that mean the whole top half of the Premier League gets to play in Europe?
    ...Geddit?

Quote Originally Posted by mobiletype
    err what would happen if English teams won CL, UEFA, World Cup for the next ten years. Will that mean the whole top half of the Premier League gets to play in Europe?

no

Articles

Actually it might. UEFA gives out European places based on the strength of the league, which in term is based on how well that country's teams do in European ompetition. This is why England, Spain and Italy have 4 Champions League places, whereas the likes of Germany and France have 3, and the likes of Holland (Or do they have 3? PSV's semi-final last year ought to have boosted them) and Turkey are given 2.

If the Champions League semi finals consisted solely of English teams for the next ten years, and the same for the UEFA Cup, then England definitely would deserve more European places. Although I think there might be a cap on the amount of European places allocated.

England have a maximun of 8 teams allowed in European competition now. Maybe there could be an extra place the for Champions League, but for 10 teams or more though, extra places around all the major leagues would have to be added to the European tournament, making the CL and UEFA cup a bigger tournament. The Premier League is already Congested as it is.

Also, i thought i'd do this to show how English European places are sorted.

1st & 2nd place in the league, Qualify for Champions League.

3rd & 4th place in the league, Qualify for Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round.

5th Oualify for UEFA Cup.

League Cup Winners Qualify for UEFA Cup.
    (Though if the League Cup winners finish in the top 5 in the league, then the League Cup UEFA place will go to 6th place in the league.)

F.A Cup Winners Qualify for UEFA Cup.
    (Though if the FA Cup winners finishes in the top 5 in the league, then the FA Cup UEFA place goes to the runners-up of the FA Cup Final. Though in the case of being that both teams in the FA Cup Final have finished in the top 5 in the league, then the FA Cup UEFA place will go to 7th place in the league.)

Intertoto Place.
    (The highest placed team to have finished outside of the European places, which have applied for the Intertoto Cup, will play a two legged match to try and make the Qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup.)

Confusing? Some people still don't get how the UEFA places work and these are people who think they know eveything about football. Unlike me i know my football!
    Last edited by Russielloyd; 04-23-2006 at 11:12 PM.

0-0 at half time, and it's been disappointing so far. Rather than aiming to put the game beyond Villarreal, it looks as though we're going to hold on for the one goal victory. The likes of Hleb and Fabregas have been disappointing, and the defence haven't been too great either. This isn't fun to watch.