Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

Default The Da Vinci Code

Anyone planning on seeing this movie? Also anyone read the book? Comments on both welcome... good conversation anticipated

STRICT REQUEST!

Because of the controversial nature of the movie and book on religion and beliefs, especially Christianity, I request that all replies on this thread stay civilized, tolerant, and mature.

Blog Entries

I'm going to see it as soon as I can find the time. I haven't read the book, but that won't stop me from seeing the movie. I'm actually very excited about this movie! It looks so exciting. So yes, I'll be seeing it soon enough.

Enjoyed the book, hated the ending, dislike Ron Howard, adore Sir Ian Mckellen and Tom Hanks. So its a yes from me. Pity I have a presentation on the opening day, but Im determined to see it that night. Cant wait, hope Howard has done a good job.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What is this movie about? I heard the book is really interesting.

I'll see it at some point. I read the book, and it was exciting, even if someone who's done little research on the subject like myself could easily point out the inaccuracies of Dan Brown's history. I still have a hard time getting past the title. Who the hell is Da Vinci? But I didn't like the way it was written, and as far as storyline goes, it was interesting, even if false.

It was one of the fastest reads ever! I read it in a week. An absolutely interesting, cliff hanger, on the edge of your seat book! Like my New York Times book review?

Anyhow, the movie looks ok... I wish they got Harrison Ford for the lead part, but they got Audrey Tatou, famous for her role in "Amelie." This'll be her 1st American movie so that's cool... otherwise I'm sure the movie will be dissapointing compared to the book.
    check out the most original music you'll ever hear in your life, my music:

http://www.myspace.com/hardboiledink

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    Who the hell is Da Vinci?
    OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!! You're kiddin', right!?
    He was a pacifist yet invented advanced weapons (for the time), painted the Mona Lisa (among others), developed the basis for the helicopter and was an accomplished scientist and inventor.

I haven't seen the film or read the book but anything that challenges the church is of interest to me. (Absolutely no insult is meant by this.)
    I definately want to see the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny_Griever
    What is this movie about? I heard the book is really interesting.
    The movie and book are both about a Harvard Proffesor and a French Police Officer slowly uncovering a web of lies about Christianity and it's very existance.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Though I find the subject matter intensely interesting (and have been reading about all sides of it), I couldnt believe just how awfully the book was written. Really, it reminded me of a Goosebumps book, especially the constant cliff-hangers at the end of chapters.

That being said, the movie could be decent. I'll see it if I get the opportunity, but I wont pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xx.Broken.Emo.Kid.xX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    Who the hell is Da Vinci?
    OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!! You're kiddin', right!?
    He was a pacifist yet invented advanced weapons (for the time), painted the Mona Lisa (among others), developed the basis for the helicopter and was an accomplished scientist and inventor.

I haven't seen the film or read the book but anything that challenges the church is of interest to me. (Absolutely no insult is meant by this.)
    I definately want to see the film.
    Nope, I'm pretty sure that was Leonardo, who had no surname. Da Vinci is not a last name. Anybody who has done any research on him knows that. Da Vinci means "of Vinci." That's like calling Jesus "of Nazareth."

I am looking forward to finally seeing this movie. The book is quite interesting, though it should be taken with a few grains of salt. I personally read more for the theories and factoids rather than actually caring in whose hands the "Holy Grail" would fall. And I like Tom Hanks.
    THE MEW HATH NO NEED OF A SIG >:3

The book was great and the movie will be phenomenal. Enough fundamentalism, just go and see the movie. DO IT NOW!!! LIKE A BERSERKER!!!!

-LYCHON!!

(SPOILER)P.S. Mary Magdalene was the wife of Jesus, they had children, and the descendants of those children should be the ones controlling the Catholic Church, not the apostolic succession of popes. This means that Catholic doctrine is all wrong and has to be reworked in aggreement with the bloodline descendants of Jesus Christ (because blood descendants take precedence over apostolic succession...duh). This is fact and cannot be argued.

Edit by Psychotic: Yeah, what ~SapphireStar~ said. Spoiler tagged.
    Last edited by Lychon; 05-15-2006 at 06:31 AM.

Maybe you should have spoiler tagged that Lychon. Not everyones read the book remember.

I really enjoyed it, was a page turner! Just keep in mind that I work at a book store part time and when I stock shelves it goes in the FICTION part of the store!

We plan on seeing this in Alaska this weekend. :) My boyfriend bought the book last week and has been reading it, he says the book is pretty good. I just want to see it because I am overly curious about it. :D