Thread: FF2j - Why does my Ice spell increase by 4 points per use?

Banned

Default FF2j - Why does my Ice spell increase by 4 points per use?

So, I use this Ice spell ONCE during a battle, and for some reason, it increases by four points.
    I never used it more than once, and then I used my Fire spell once as well.
    What's going on?

Your spells "level up", depending on how much you use them. If you only use Ice once in the game, it won't be worth anything -- if you use it constantly, it'll grow stronger, take more MP to cast, and become much more destructive.

This is the way they did FF2. There is no "Ice 2" spell, your "Ice" spell simply levels up and becomes more powerful. Likewise, your characters won't level up per se, they will just gain whatever attributes they use most -- become more powerful with the weapons they use most, gain more max HP if they get their HP taken down a lot, gain more max MP if they use a lot of MP, etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Your spells "level up", depending on how much you use them. If you only use Ice once in the game, it won't be worth anything -- if you use it constantly, it'll grow stronger, take more MP to cast, and become much more destructive.

This is the way they did FF2. There is no "Ice 2" spell, your "Ice" spell simply levels up and becomes more powerful. Likewise, your characters won't level up per se, they will just gain whatever attributes they use most -- become more powerful with the weapons they use most, gain more max HP if they get their HP taken down a lot, gain more max MP if they use a lot of MP, etc.
    Well, thanks, but that wasn't really my point.
    I know about the level system and all that stuff, you know.
    I was wondering why my Ice spell gains FOUR points per use, instead of two, which is the usual number.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_18
    So, I use this Ice spell ONCE during a battle, and for some reason, it increases by four points.
    I never used it more than once, and then I used my Fire spell once as well.
    What's going on?
    The formula which determines spell growth in FFII relies on the current level of the spell, the number of times said spell is used in the battle, and the "rank" of the opponent the spell is first used on. In all probability, you used your Ice spell against a high rank opponent, which would have led to faster growth.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune&#183 View Post
    The formula which determines spell growth in FFII relies on the current level of the spell, the number of times said spell is used in the battle, and the "rank" of the opponent the spell is first used on. In all probability, you used your Ice spell against a high rank opponent, which would have led to faster growth.
    I used it against some pretty easy enemies close to Gatea.

It is not based on uses, it is based on percentage... so you casted Ice once, and it says

"Ice 1-04"

That means that the spell is at Level One and is 4% out of 100 is completed...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FlareNUKE
    It is not based on uses, it is based on percentage... so you casted Ice once, and it says

"Ice 1-04"

That means that the spell is at Level One and is 4% out of 100 is completed...
    I know that as well.
    Actually, I was looking for an explanation on why it increases by *FOUR*, instead of two.
    Masamune·1600 has given me the most complete answer so far.

Glitch? I don't know
    "Swordchucks Yo." - Fighter

"Every time I cast Hadoken it siphons a little bit of love out of the world to create a massive destructive explosions. They say the divorce rate goes up with each cast." - BM

How many swords could sword chucks chuck if sword chucks could chuck swords? Same goes with Nuns! :rolleyes2

"I cast Ice-9!" -RM

"I can steal stuff that isn't even there" -Thief (Yet he can't steal in the game)

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Which version?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Don't revive old threads please.