Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Book Genre

Articles

Default Favorite Book Genre

I'm posting a few novel related threads in urge to lure out discussion about books here at EoFF, something I think it lacks.

Personally I've always been a lover for Fantasy. Now since I used the term genre generally, we can go even further on classifying books if you would like. My favorite books are probably Adult High Fantasy. I still enjoy reading Young Adult Fantasy, Science Fiction, and other various fiction novels.

I have one of these now. Epiphany's Avatar

Mystery/suspense. Usually medical mystery. I do have a soft spot for some Drama novels like Les Miserables and Angela's Ashes.

Originality is good, kids.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fantasy is definitley my favourite. I pretty much agree with what you said, so yeah. I'm also really fond of historical fiction, or regular old drama. Mystery is pretty good too. Martha Grimes is an awesome mystery writer.

But I'll read absolutely anything by Patricia A. McKillip, no matter what genre it is.
    --Box Box Box Box

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like 20th (and i guess 21st now too) century literature, authors like James Joyce, Thomas Pynchon, William Faulkner, Kazuo Ishiguro, Kurt Vonnegut, Jay McInerney, and JD Salinger.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like the classics. Mostly 19th/early 20th century, and some older.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDragon
    My favorite books are probably Adult High Fantasy.
    Yes. I love fantasy that is a little light on the "fantastic" elements. I don't like fireballs flying out of nowhere, or magic without consequence. I much prefer charactor development over the wow factor.

Some horror on the side is always nice.

Fantasy & horror.

I like my fantasy like Harry Potter, but I also love murder mystery novels by Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse) or Murder, She Wrote.

I tend to be very ecclectic. Ive read the classics, such as dickens, Fitzgerald, hemingway, Shakesphere, Tolstoy, Ect. and as well as reading manga and chinese graphic novels, Id like to track down translated copies of Wong Du Lu's Crane - Iron Pentology, in which the film Crouching tiger, Hidden Dragon was based on the fourth book in the series. I read modern comics such as Maus, Some batman, spiderman tales, I got into X-men for a while and loved Clairemonts tales back during his initial run. His Wolverine mini series with Logan first meeting Mariko and getting the crap beat out of him initially by the non-mutant Shingan was one of the best comic tales Ive ever read. I also study texts, manuels, and form studies of martial arts, mostly having to do with swordsmanship, jiu jitsu and Tai Chi Chuan. Ive studied several translations of Sun Tzu's: The Art of War as well as read over the philosophy of Bushido Which was the code of conduct and morals embraced by the samurai, and is still embraced in spirit in the japanese culture to this day.

As for fiction novels, I tend to prefer Sci Fi and Fantasy. Ive kept up on all the star wars novels, Through the high's (timothy Zhan, Stackpole, New Jedi Order) and lows (Kevin J anderson). And also liked the Shadow War Trilogy which was a continuation of the Fantasy Film Willow from the eighties, and involved Elora Danon embracing her fate as the savior of the world. The novels involving marvels superhero's is also a mixed bag, with some good (Hulk: What Savage Beast, Diane Duanes Spider Man/Venom Trilogy) and some not so good (Mutant Empire).

Fantasy ftw!

I love fantasy and its kinda the only books i read (i dont read many books).

InuYasha's First Lover JenosydesTouch's Avatar

I like Fantasy, Horror, Romantic Horror, and Graphic<--not in this order.
    www.xenosaga.com/forums

www.ffwa.org

www.eyesonff.com

http://hybridharper.proboards6.com

You can always find me here. Or come in and join, all of them are great.

I really don't read books but if i do they're all comic books.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have a very mixed taste. I can't figure out which genre most of these books would fall under.

Zazoo
    The Color of Water
    Memoirs of a Geisha (I'm only half done with it, and I'm already in love with this book)
    The Notebook
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
    The Bean Tree

I suppose it'd be a mixture of romance and classics. I have a soft spot southern novels.

The more genre predictable books I like:

Harry Potter Series
    Artemis Fowl Series
    Princess Diaries Series
    Ella Enchanted
    The Seventh Tower Series
    Pop Princess

Those would be fantasy/romance/comedy mostly.

Last edited by Rye; 12-21-2005 at 05:59 PM.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

I havn't read many books.

'Old Magic' and 'The Dark' by Marianne Curley are my favourites books and they are a Horror/Romance.