View Poll Results: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Merry Christmas

31 59.62%
  • Happy Holidays

4 7.69%
  • Do we really need to argue on this subject?

9 17.31%
  • I just avoid the situation and dont really say anything

8 15.38%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

...Happy Holidays. my family either celebrates each holiday half-way or they don't do it at all.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I am offended by this topic. Where is my Krazy Kwanza?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansem
    Old Manus: That artile claims that 96% of americans celebrate Christmas. How the hell is that possible, when only 78% of Americans are Christian? Why would non-Christians/anti-Christians celebrate such a sickening reminder of the Christian influence that plagues this nation at every turn.
    Because you get presents, obviously. Anyone who doesn’t take advantage of Christmas just to prove a point is an idiot, or really, really cheap.

I voted for Merry Christmas. Anyone who has the audacity to complain after I went to the trouble of acknowledging their existence can <!--f@#$-->[leeza]*snip*[/leeza] themselves.

[leeza]Do NOT go around the filters ~ Leeza[/leeza]

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan
    I voted a while back: "Do we really need to argue on this subject?"

Honestly, who cares? It just came into common use; it is like Kleenex instead of tissue paper, in a certain sense. So what you call it Christmas or Holidays? The idea is still there. The most important thing is that it is a season of giving. I do not follow the faith but I still say "Merry Christmas" out of habit. My family celebrates Christmas, and I see no reason why I can't. I may not be celebrating the birth of Christ, but I have the spirit of Christmas, within me. I am happy that I will be with my family.
    Great, now I'm stuck in a disagreement with my lover...

Kleenex=tissue, Xerox=copy and all other examples of that nature are the result of human idiocy. The assumption that saying 'Merry Christmas' will set well with anyone is just as foolish. Therein lies the need for political correctness. Without political correctness, words such as 'fag' and 'nigger' and 'chink' would be perfectly acceptable. And I'm willing to bet that the inclusion of those three words has offended 90% of readers.
    Since people are (FINALLY) starting to drift away from Christian beliefs, saying 'Merry Christmas' offends more and more people every year. The best way to promote tolerance is to include all religious holidays (or spiritual holidays) in your holiday greeting.

In conclusion: 'Happy Holidays', 'Ecstatic Ex-mas', 'Chappy Chanukah' 'Kontent Kwanzaa' and 'May you have a pleasant time of materialistic delight'.
    Last edited by Lord Xehanort; 12-14-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Nulli Secundus Primus Inter Pares's Avatar

Merry Festivous!
    :joey:

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Arguments are good and healthy between people.

Okay, Western society is built upon Christian beliefs. Most people in Western culture have been influence by Christianity, implicitly or explicitly, there is no denying that. Christianity is very much intwinned in our society. Also the majority of people are Christian. So to a stranger, I will say Merry Christmas most likely, because it is more likely than not that they do celebrate Christmas. Also if I know someone who does not celebrate Christmas I will say have a Happy Holidays or such, though I only know few people.

Also you reference to those words are out of context. The n-word (I refuse to use that word), "gay" and other slanderous words are said with malicious intent. Contrary no one that I know of would wish someone a Merry Christmas and do so with a malicious intent. There is a big difference, to me at least, for there is a HUGE difference in intent of the person saying those words. One is said out of rude, cruel, malicious ignorance whilst the other is used a kind and benevolent greeting.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris
    Because you get presents, obviously. Anyone who doesn’t take advantage of Christmas just to prove a point is an idiot, or really, really cheap.
    But is that REALLY celebrating Christmas, or is it just exploiting it? I exploit it left and right, because I am greedy and materialistic. I adore getting presents for no real reason other than the fact that my entire family is Christian and feel the need to celebrate by giving me free stuff.

TSoL: You miss my main point. Yes, the connotation may be different, but I didn't say they weren't. It is to illustrate the need for political correctness. Those among us who are not Christian, or anti-Christian, are offended by the Christian holidays being thrust in our faces. That's like thrusting homosexuality in a Catholic's face! It can be taken in a negative way.

If there is a difference between the two, I and most of the West refuse to acknowledge it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris
    If there is a difference between the two, I and most of the West refuse to acknowledge it.
    There is a definite difference between the two. One is upholding the religious traditions of centuries of followers, and the other is an excuse to revel in the delight of being materialistic. See the difference? If there were December 25th songs that don't mention the words 'Christmas', 'God', Jesus', 'Christ', or any other possible religious symbols, and instead spoke of presents, exploiting religious customs for personal gain, and materialisticism (is that even a word?), then I would be happy to sing them.

FFXIV Character

In certain cases political correctness is just gets annoying and cummbersome. Sure I would never call anyone a name that would hurt them, but sometimes people take it too far with political correctness. One of my friends, a girl, hates it when I hold a door for her, she thinks I am being sexist...I hold doors for everyone! If you really are an advocat of politcal correctness then I suggest you do not learn French. As my High School French tacher said (He himself being French-Canadian) called French a "chauvenistic language", which it is, but I never heard of anyone trying to change that...So politcal correctness is good in certain cases, but sometimes it is taken too far.

Seriously, if I offend anyone by telling you with a smile on my face Merry Christmas, then tell me, and I will gladly apologize, until someone tells me otherwise I will wish them a Merry Christmas. Plus I only wish people I know a Merry Christmas, so usually I am on the dot when I say it.

EDIT: Just because you are not Christian does not mean you cannot celebrate the spirit of the holidays. To me, Christmas has become more than the presents. Sure it is nice, especially money would be since I am a student, and all but most of all I am happy to be home and be with friends and family for a brief time.

My family hates each other, and we don't get together for the holidays. What's left to celebrate but presents? Nothing.

FFXIV Character

Well I know if I was with you, I would just be happy to be in your company!

That kinda does suck...*has no corny optimistic thing to say* I guess to each their own...

Happy Holidays Ansem <3!

You lose either way. Saying "Merry Christmas" isn't neccessary, but try to bridge the gap with a "happy holidays" and you're slammed by the "political correctness omg dumb" people. I read in Newsweek that 31% of Americans are offended (yes, offended) by the term "happy holidays". What the hell is wrong with everybody?

No group of people should be offended by a generic 2-word formality. Say whatever you want. Whatever somebody says to you, just grin and say "you too!" . It really isn't that hard.

I say both and anyone who is offended by either could use a nice punch in the throat to have something worth being offended by. Seriously, when people find a way to get upset over someone telling them "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays", it makes me realise people are truly scrapping at the bottom of the barrel to find things to complain about.

Merry Christmas. If you don't like that, too damn bad.

"Happy Holidays" should be offensive -- why are we going out of our way to get rid of long-established traditions because they might have something to do with a religion we don't like? You don't like it, don't celebrate. Sit in your house, face east, draw out your circles, chant, do whatever you like, but don't say I'm insulting people because I mention a religious holiday.

And let's not even bring up "kwanzaa".