View Poll Results: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Merry Christmas

31 59.62%
  • Happy Holidays

4 7.69%
  • Do we really need to argue on this subject?

9 17.31%
  • I just avoid the situation and dont really say anything

8 15.38%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Blog Entries

Typical Labour vs Normal People debate

there was a picture here

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Why the hell should it matter what anyone says, just as long as the sentiment is positive? I see no reason for people to be crybabies about any of this, but people certainly are.

Bah Humbug on all of you!

Signature by rubah. I think.

I feel I should note that this thread is reminding me of the South Park episode where the school tries to put on a Christmas play, but then one of the parents complains that it is offensive to those who aren't Christian, and eventually every Christmas or religious element is stripped from the play so not to offend anyone, and the final product is nothing more than the students dressed in black dancing and singing to a minimalist song. The parents see how terrible the play is and then realize how dumb they have been for complaining.

It's strange how some of the best life lessons can be learned from South Park.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Merry Christmas!

Nobody from the UK has ever said "Happy Holidays" to me.
    Does anybody here from the UK say it?
    >:O

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    It's strange how some of the best life lessons can be learned from South Park.
    Haha, yeah.

I don't ever remember Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays as being an issue before this year. It's weird. I guess I always say Merry Christmas when referring to Christmas. If I were to say Happy Holidays, I would be referring to the Holiday season between Thanksgiving and New Years. But that's just me, I guess.

Blog Entries

Well, I voted Happy Holidays. It seemed to make the most sense to me. Though if you don't celebrate Christmas, and someone says to you "Merry Christmas", I personally don't think one should be offended. It was all in good intent. But calling Christmas Trees "Holiday Trees" is just plain silly.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Me says "Merry Christmas!"

My friend was suspended for saying "Merry Christmas" on the announcements last year.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

2nd Protector of the Sun War Angel's Avatar

I'm not even a Christian, but if I were American or been to the USA during that period, I'd most probably say Merry Christmas, 'cause that's tradition and that's what just about everyone's celebrating.

Ansem... there's so much hate in you, it's really sad to see. I would've said it's infuriating, only as I've said, I'm not nearly Christian enough for it to get to me. I do suggest, however, that you tone down your ignorant and hateful remarks towards people's beliefs and the believers themselves. It creates a tense atmosphere, and doesn't help create an enviorment of 'free-thinking' as you might think.

I do hope that if you raise a child, you will raise him hate-free and do not plant prejudice in his or her young heart. Such acts tend to be very disruptive later on in a kid's life.

My friend was suspended for saying "Merry Christmas" on the announcements last year.
    That's illegal.

if you don't celebrate Christmas, and someone says to you "Merry Christmas", I personally don't think one should be offended. It was all in good intent. But calling Christmas Trees "Holiday Trees" is just plain silly.
    I agree. It's not like if someone went up to me and said merry Christmas, I'd be all like "I don't celebrate Christmas, you Christian oppressing scum! DIEEE!". I'd probably smile and say thanks, and if I know them a bit, tell them about my own holiday. As for the trees... that's PC in all its glory. As far as I know, there are no other holidays in which trees as decorated and stuff, except Christmas, so calling Christmas trees 'holiday trees', like there's some other holiday that uses those trees, is awfully dumb.
    Last edited by War Angel; 12-14-2005 at 09:10 PM.
    When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one yourself... when gazing into the abyss, bear in mind that the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The rightful owner of this Ciddie can kiss my arse! :P

That artile claims that 96% of americans celebrate Christmas. How the hell is that possible, when only 78% of Americans are Christian? Why would non-Christians/anti-Christians celebrate such a sickening reminder of the Christian influence that plagues this nation at every turn?
    I'm no christian but I still celebrate christmass. Everyone I know does celebrate it, christians and non-christians alike. To me it's not about religion at all, it's about being with my family and stuff.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ever say "Merry Christmas" to someone who then responds "I'm Jewish" or "I'm Hindu"? You feel kinda stupid. It's presumptuous to assume that someone celebrates a specific holiday, although the odds are pretty high in the US that the person celebrates Christmas, and most people aren't big enough jerks to get mad at someone for wishing them a Merry Christmas.

As far as non-Christians celebrating Christmas, Christmas was a pagan holiday (Weinacht, the winter soltice, or whatever) that was coopted by the Church to make the pagan day into a Christian day. They just pulled the "Jesus was born on Dec 25th part" out of the air so it would happen on the same day every year (learning from the mistake of the Jews, perhaps), and dates from 2000 years ago don't line up well anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansem
    Old Manus: That artile claims that 96% of americans celebrate Christmas. How the hell is that possible, when only 78% of Americans are Christian? Why would non-Christians/anti-Christians celebrate such a sickening reminder of the Christian influence that plagues this nation at every turn?

As for the topic, I usually don't say anything except 'have a good break' to my friends at school, and 'what did I get?' on December 25. I hope that one day, I will be able to adopt a child and raise him with ABSOLUTELY NO CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE WHATSOEVER! Just think of it: a child who is a free thinker, and not brainwashed by the idea of a beautiful paradise waiting for him, if he wastes his life believing in an unproven man in the sky.

Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rest of EoFF
    I cried aloud with mirth and merriment
    Last edited by nik0tine; 12-15-2005 at 05:58 AM.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Do we really need to argue on this one, but I don't understand why they say happy HOLIDAYS when you're only celebrating one, well sometimes my family celebrates Kwanza too, but still.

Yellow Winged Angel

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc
    Ever say "Merry Christmas" to someone who then responds "I'm Jewish" or "I'm Hindu"? You feel kinda stupid.
    I wouldn't feel stupid, most likely because the person would say "I'm (insert religion)/I don't celebrate Christmas, but thank you anyway" unless they are rude. As so many others have said, it's just a friendly Holiday greeting with a good intent behind it. If someone said to me "Happy Chanukah" or "Happy Kwanza", I wouldn't get upset. I would simply smile and say thank you.

Merry Christmas for me cuz ive tried sayin' Happy Holidays but it makes me feel uncomfortable.I try it but Merry Christmas always comes out of my mouth

i'm giving up,
    on the entire human race....

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Io Saturnalia.