View Poll Results: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Merry Christmas

31 59.62%
  • Happy Holidays

4 7.69%
  • Do we really need to argue on this subject?

9 17.31%
  • I just avoid the situation and dont really say anything

8 15.38%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Thou shall not speak... Randgris's Avatar

Never liked Christmas...

I swear there used to be more posts in this thread…

Maybe they did as well

EDIT: Oh s@#$, that was a completely different thread...
    Last edited by ThroneofDravaris; 12-16-2005 at 05:31 PM.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Merry Christmas. If you don't like that, too damn bad.

"Happy Holidays" should be offensive -- why are we going out of our way to get rid of long-established traditions because they might have something to do with a religion we don't like? You don't like it, don't celebrate. Sit in your house, face east, draw out your circles, chant, do whatever you like, but don't say I'm insulting people because I mention a religious holiday.
    Funny, it's almost the exact same thing with the gay marriage argument. lol hipocrites.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Funny, it's almost the exact same thing with the gay marriage argument. lol hipocrites.
    Trashing long-established traditions and religious beliefs because some people have problems with religions? Yeah, that sounds similar. I don't know how it's hypocritical, since it's similar, but hell, that doesn't stop you from thinking it.

FFXIV Character

Denston Fairclough (Midgardsormr)

Either is fine...but Merry Christmas sounds better. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    In response to Ansem, I'm athiest and I celebrate Christmas. Not in a Christian way, but in a commercial holiday type of way, as Christmas is just that. I like getting presents and giving them and being with loved ones, plain and simple, and that, in my opinion, is what Christmas is.
    That's similar to my situation, Rye-chan. I was merely debating as to whether or not basking in material delight is REALLY celebrating the holiday as it was meant to be celebrated by whoever created it.

I say Merry Christmas to non christians and bah-humbug to christians I belive the best way to be politicaly correct is to treat everyone with equal disrespect
    [!]Prendpartea al mio inferno eterno su terra:meatwad:
    I Like it when the red water comes out
    --!>

2nd Protector of the Sun War Angel's Avatar

I was merely debating as to whether or not basking in material delight is REALLY celebrating the holiday as it was meant to be celebrated by whoever created it.
    I daresay it's not.
    When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one yourself... when gazing into the abyss, bear in mind that the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The rightful owner of this Ciddie can kiss my arse! :P

My point exactly.

That's similar to my situation, Rye-chan. I was merely debating as to whether or not basking in material delight is REALLY celebrating the holiday as it was meant to be celebrated by whoever created it.
    Of course not, but why do we have to celibrate a set way? Why can't we be atheists and celebrate too? I would expect someone who supports liberalism as much as you do to understand that.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I'm pretty sure the desire for material wealth was invented in the 1960's. Before that, money was considered bad luck and receiving gifts was a personal insult, and everyone was very moral in a very Christian kind of way all year long, especially on holidays. I'm <em>pretty sure</em> people walked uphill both ways to and from church too. Oh that the world has come to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    I'm pretty sure the desire for material wealth was invented in the 1960's. Before that, money was considered bad luck and receiving gifts was a personal insult, and everyone was very moral in a very Christian kind of way all year long, especially on holidays. I'm <em>pretty sure</em> people walked uphill both ways to and from church too. Oh that the world has come to this.
    What? Is that Dr Unne sarcasm? Because if it was I'm not totally picking up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    Of course not, but why do we have to celibrate a set way? Why can't we be atheists and celebrate too? I would expect someone who supports liberalism as much as you do to understand that.
    I do, I do. I only disagree with Christmas references in public. Celebrate it any way you wish, I care not, as i celebrate it, but only as 'Exmas'. I support political correctness because I do not desire confrontation.

2nd Protector of the Sun War Angel's Avatar

I support political correctness because I do not desire confrontation.
    Don't create any, then. Instead, try and share the harmless joy people feel during this time of the year, for whatever reason. No-body likes a party-pooper.
    When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one yourself... when gazing into the abyss, bear in mind that the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The rightful owner of this Ciddie can kiss my arse! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ansem
    I do, I do. I only disagree with Christmas references in public. Celebrate it any way you wish, I care not, as i celebrate it, but only as 'Exmas'. I support political correctness because I do not desire confrontation.
    Because it doesn't occur to you that political correctness doesn't avoid confrontation, just shift it?