Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about Kain

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Default Question about Kain

I just have a quick question. Between the tower of Zot and the Sealed Cave, is Kain really loyal to your party, or is he still under Golbez's influence and going along with you to get the other 4 dark crystals? I never really can tell if he comes back under Golbez's influence at the Sealed Cave or if he just always was.

He's loyal to your party. When you're leaving the Sealed Cave, Golbex regains his control over him.

Damn, someone beat me to the question. But, yeah. He stays a loyal, kick ass character until Golbez takes him away again.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Kain wasn't initially brought over to the "dark side" by sheer magic alone. There's definately a story arc whereby he is jealous of Cecil for bedding Rosa after the two of them split up (that's Kain and Rosa splitting up for the record). This is evident in the way in which he address Rosa, especially with lines such as "I'll prove I'm superior than your darling Cecil". Though it's obvious that some magical influence was used to control Kain, it was obvious that Kain's own feelings and alliances meant that the magic could work in the first place. Put simply it's implying that Kain already had traitorous thoughts in his mind regarding Cecil, and Golbez was merely able to use that to his advantage. It certainly adds a bit more dimension to the character of Kain rather than just a goody two-shoes. Cecil may have been a dark knight but it's obvious that his heart was always in the right place. Kain's however wasn't, and probably isn't by the end either, hence his self-appointed exile...

...Gosh that was deep.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

I don't think that Rosa and Kain were ever an item just Kain always having feelings for her. Rosa obviously loves Cecil very much since she became a White Wizard to help him just as her mother did for her father. As for Kain's betrayel, Golbez must of had powerful influence to make Kain betray his best friend. Though Cecil and Kain are rivals, Kain is loyal to Cecil which is why he defended Cecil against the king in the beginning of the game. I don't doubt that Kain is jeolous of Cecil because of his feeling for Rosa, as stated in the game but, I believe Golbez had to use magic on Kain or trick him somehow by bringing out these bitter feelings Kain has for Cecil or hence, his betrayel.

Kain is just too awesome, despite how easily controlled he can be

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

It seems to convenient to me that Kain would just traitor against his friends so simply without some sort of mental struggle. Golbez merely says "Come back to me Kain" and Kain obliges without a second thought. Either bad planning on Square's part, or Kain was just toying with Cecil all along and was still under Golbez's influence.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

There was no struggle because Golbeza's influence was just that strong. He more or less allowed Cain to do the hero thing until they had the Crystal and it became convenient to retake him under his command.

Plus, after been beaten by Tellah and his Meteo, he made Cecil think that he no longer had control over Kain so Kain coould join the heroes and get the crystal

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    There was no struggle because Golbeza's influence was just that strong. He more or less allowed Cain to do the hero thing until they had the Crystal and it became convenient to retake him under his command.

Beautiful...
    placeholder_text.jpeg

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kain's_girl
    I don't think that Rosa and Kain were ever an item just Kain always having feelings for her. Rosa obviously loves Cecil very much since she became a White Wizard to help him just as her mother did for her father. As for Kain's betrayel, Golbez must of had powerful influence to make Kain betray his best friend. Though Cecil and Kain are rivals, Kain is loyal to Cecil which is why he defended Cecil against the king in the beginning of the game. I don't doubt that Kain is jeolous of Cecil because of his feeling for Rosa, as stated in the game but, I believe Golbez had to use magic on Kain or trick him somehow by bringing out these bitter feelings Kain has for Cecil or hence, his betrayel.
    Didn't some compaion book go into detail about this? Ryukishi?

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

You mean about the love triangle? From what I remember Rosa just chose Cecil over Cain; she and Cain weren't an item at any time. Aaron would be the better guy to ask, though, since he wrote numerous theses on this fascinating subject.

well, the FF4 Foundation Guide has Cain and Rosa being an item way before the start of the game, before he even gets his Dragon Knight training. However, due to a combination of Cain's long absence and (possibly) the fact that Cecil gets raised to the more powerful Dark Knighthood, she leaves him for Cecil. Due to this reason and a number of others, I dislike Rosa somewhat, since arguably, Cain wouldn't have been controllable by Golbeza if he hadn't had residual feelings for her. I don't loathe her as much as I used to, however, since I can kind of identify with getting lonely after a long separation; I'm more inclined to loathe the standard of a monogamous relationship that permeates pretty much all parts of society.

At any rate, the FF4 Foundation Guide was never released in English, but it was published by Square, apparently at around the time the game was released, so it's canon. It's also the source of things like the characters' last names and their heights and weights, which you can find all over the Internets (I even had that stuff on my old, old webpage before Comcast decided to 403 it).
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    well, the FF4 Foundation Guide has Cain and Rosa being an item way before the start of the game, before he even gets his Dragon Knight training. However, due to a combination of Cain's long absence and (possibly) the fact that Cecil gets raised to the more powerful Dark Knighthood, she leaves him for Cecil. Due to this reason and a number of others, I dislike Rosa somewhat, since arguably, Cain wouldn't have been controllable by Golbeza if he hadn't had residual feelings for her. I don't loathe her as much as I used to, however, since I can kind of identify with getting lonely after a long separation; I'm more inclined to loathe the standard of a monogamous relationship that permeates pretty much all parts of society.

At any rate, the FF4 Foundation Guide was never released in English, but it was published by Square, apparently at around the time the game was released, so it's canon. It's also the source of things like the characters' last names and their heights and weights, which you can find all over the Internets (I even had that stuff on my old, old webpage before Comcast decided to 403 it).
    I didn't know there was a FF4 Foundation Guide. That's pretty cool. I wish it were published in english so I could read it.

well, if I decide to take Japanese as my language for my communications degree requirement, maybe I'll order it and translate it one of these days (however, that'll be a couple of years in the future at least, most likely). It always bugged me that this information wasn't more widely known.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)