Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: myspace

Oh and here's my link to my myspace http://www.myspace.com/re_xander

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    On the news last night, it said that anyone who goes to a few specific schools in Queens that has a myspace, whether they use it just at home, or at school, will be expelled from the school. I'm not a fan of myspace, but how messed up is that? xD
    Actually a few months ago Pope Benedict declared it to be Un-Catholic because it would open them up to stalkers and sexual predators (like that's un-catholic?). A school in New Jersey started it. The Parents confronted the school and the Pope sent a letter to all Catholic schools about it.

Here's the news article about it.

The Reverend Kieran McHugh stunned the 900 students of the private Pope John XXIII Regional High School at a recent assembly when he told them that, effective immediately, they would have to dismantle their personal pages on sites such as MySpace.com and Xanga.com and any other blogs, or face suspension.

McHugh said he was taking the unusual measure to protect students from online sexual predators who may be lurking in cyberspace looking for personal information on children, including their pictures, diaries and gossip, according to a report in New Jersey's The Daily Record newspaper.

Many of the students were reportedly outraged at the school's attempt to regulate their home lives. According to the Record, a majority of them protested the new rule, arguing that it violated their free-speech rights and that the school should have no say on what they do at home.

"I don't see this as censorship," McHugh told the Record. "I believe we are teaching common civility, courtesy and respect." Popular community sites such as Xanga and MySpace got the school administration's attention when it learned that a student had communicated online with someone who lied about their identity, age and where they lived, though McHugh would not elaborate on the specifics of the case.

"If this protects one child from being near-abducted or harassed or preyed upon, I make no apologies for this stance," McHugh said. A diocese spokesperson did not return calls for further comment at press time. MySpace, which would not comment, is the fourth most viewed site on the Internet in the U.S.

Both public and private schools have made efforts in recent years to keep campus computers from accessing certain online content, but McHugh's attempt to regulate home access to social networking sites is reaching across boundaries, according to Kevin Bankston, staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a San-Francisco-based online civil liberties defender. Bankston said he believed the school's real motivation was to suppress negative comments about Pope John posted by students.

"If you look at the policy itself," said Bankston, "it's not preventing children from releasing personal information in a way that might be harmful to them. It's trying to restrict information related to the school and its staff on the Internet, including private communication, like e-mail. So it's a blanket ban on discussing school at all using the most common modern medium for discussion of things."

According to a copy of the school's Internet policy, included in the student handbook, while there is no prohibition on students having personal Web sites, there are rules when it comes to the school. The policy, which a source at the diocese said was five years old, says that because the Web is a "public forum with unrestricted access," the school "restricts permission for the posting of information related to the school, our staff and our students on the Internet."
    Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer. Its a shame he's never cried, though.

Articles

Click the second link in my signature.

in my sig

I don't bother with MySpace.. website's are better aka piczo or freewebs..

I dont see the big smurfing deal with "My space" Why not just use Ringo?

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

MySpace is a tool of the devil. Everyone in my school, including people that you would never expect to even know how to use a computer, are obsessed with in. No one ever does any work in computer classes because they are too busy on MySpace.

Tool of the devil, I tell ya.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I just read what Shlup said and I have a new found respect for My Space. Not one that is positive but far worse because Sephex and I can promote the power that is the Polo Ponys!

I doubt I could ever give a damn to

1) Start that [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] up
    2) Keep that [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] going
    3) Watch that [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] once a week

With those photo things, I post a photo of me once every sooo....year maybe...

Lets just say I dont update that [img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] too often.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    MySpace is a tool of the devil. Everyone in my school, including people that you would never expect to even know how to use a computer, are obsessed with in. No one ever does any work in computer classes because they are too busy on MySpace.

Tool of the devil, I tell ya.
    Agreed all the way! I hope that site dies - somehow.

The Jamie Star Scenario The Jamie Star Scenario's Avatar

MY SPACE IS DOWN LOL!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's down everyday at this time. They do crap to it.

Thanks for the seizure, by the way.

The Jamie Star Scenario The Jamie Star Scenario's Avatar

You're welcome. It is my christmas present to everyone at EoFF.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What more could we possibly want?

Yeah, I have a myspace - mainly to talk to people I know IRL but I do talk to other people too. However, I've grown to hate the thing and barely ever go on it anymore.

Myspace~

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

remember that guy that came here and bragged about a sex video he put on myspace or something?

that was cool.