Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Hearts: Christianity Influences

A lot of those themes are very common culturally, and by no means exclusive to Christianity -- including the self-sacrifice, and so on. I think that if Kingdom Hearts drew on religion, and I doubt it did considering that the general plot has to be fairly simple in order to pass as a children's game, it would be made very obvious with references to things that were exclusive and definitive to the target religion.

Yeah well, it's just about the battle of the dark and the light..

We'll we're all right.
    Is that your final answer?

The Pumpkin King MateriaBladeVII's Avatar

You gotta be kidding me...

You're comparing a FF/Disney game to the Bible...

Somebody stop me before I say something drastic...

*sigh*

Okay- I think I can restrain myself enough to put my two cents in...

The voice that calls out to Sora in the beginning- that's Ansem (a character you compared to Satan), not a character easily compared to God.

Kingdom Hearts- not a place to be compared to Hell. It's the heart of all worlds- a place to be held dearly and protected.

Namine- not a prophet. She's a witch. Larxene even says so... (Which the Christian religion extremely frowns upon).

I really don't think this game can be compared to the Bible without being compared to any other legend or theology involving the epic battle between Good vs Evil or Light vs Dark (which is like every hero story out there).

This whole thread... kinda stupid. *clamps ahold of mouth to prevent himself from saying anymore*
    Member of the KH Trinity
    Wielder of the Pumpkinhead | Member of the KH Trinity | A Boy From Krypton
    ShyGuy Flamer

...This isn't worth me ranting.

The voice that calls out to Sora in the beginning- that's Ansem (a character you compared to Satan), not a character easily compared to God.

Kingdom Hearts- not a place to be compared to Hell. It's the heart of all worlds- a place to be held dearly and protected.

Namine- not a prophet. She's a witch. Larxene even says so... (Which the Christian religion extremely frowns upon).
    How could Ansam be calling out to Sora?

Kingdom Hearts is the world of darkness, and the Shadow Realm from Yu-Gi-Oh! is based on hell. Why isn't the World of Chaos like hell?

And Namine drew a picture, predicting what would happen, and she was right. THat's kind of like a prophet.

Why are we comparing it to the Bible again? Isn't it just supposed to be a video game...

aoki yasei wo daite
    embrace the untamed wilderness

Well hey, a lot of fantasy is modeled after reality.

Most of you have probably seen Disney's Chronicles of Narnia movie by this point, I imagine -- which, undeniably, reeks of HEAVY Christian themes... So, the company certainly isn't completely against the idea (but, then again, it's not they could remove it from the source material).

Kingdom Hearts, however, is your average 'Good vs Evil' conflict -- To say that Ansem represents Satan is to broad... That comparison could be used for ANY evil character, but, it doesn't make it neccessarily true. Hell, even 'Narnia''s White Witch doesn't symbolize Satan.

Countless religions have "underworlds" of some sort -- And I don't have any doubt in my mind that Chaos represents a hell of sorts -- But not neccessarily a particular Christian concept of Hell... More so then general idea of an underworld.

I find it difficult to sensibly rant about how wrong you are... So, frankly, I'm just going to stop trying. There aren't any Christian themes in KH -- It's very simply the basic concept of good vs. evil. So, blah on you.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire
    Being a Roman Catholic Christian and playing Kingdom Hearts, I say that KH takes A LOT of influence from Christianity. Have you ever noticed that? One example may be that the "mysterious voice" that called out to Sora may actually have been the voice of God, in the fact that there are stories in the bible that have God's voice calling out to certain biblical figures, and saints, such as Moses and Joan of Arc, even though she wasn't in the bible, but nonetheless, that's the same thing that Sora went through. Another influence Kingdom Hearts takes from Christianity is "no matter how deep the darkness, a light shines within." Yet another influence is that Ansem is a reflection of Satan, the heartless are reflections of demons, and the Realm of Kingdom Hearts and the World of Chaos are somewhat similar to the concept of Hell. Namine also seems somewhat like a prophet, in the fact that she drew a place called Castle Oblivion, and Sora traveled there. Those are the Christianity influences that I could pick out. Can you see any more? And s this an interesting connection?
    Good point made by this guy so why you have all rubished it I don't know. And guys we all have are own point of view so just don't run down someone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sora!
    Good point made by this guy so why you have all rubished it I don't know. And guys we all have are own point of view so just don't run down someone elses.
    A) Because someone having an opposite opinion is a normal part of discussion.

B) It's already been explained how the theory doesn't really work.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Sora!
    Thank you very much, Sora. I have a new friend in you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire
    Well hey, a lot of fantasy is modeled after reality.
    The bible, however, is not "reality".

The Pumpkin King MateriaBladeVII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow
    The bible, however, is not "reality".
    LMAO!!!

Oh wow- I can't wait to see their reactions to this comment...

Anyways- SuperMillionaire, please refrain from comparing something as awesome as Kingdom Hearts to that Yu-Gi-Oh! junk... It tarnishes the name of such a masterpiece.

But umm- you're wrong. Kingdom Hearts is NOT based on hell. I don't care what you say. Why do you think Sora and King Mickey labored so hard to try and protect it from Ansem? It's the heart of all worlds- and a very important thing to be protected. Darkness may abound in it- but it's light. Don't you remember? When the door opened, Ansem was utterly vanquished by the bright light from within. Sora even said it was "light".

And the thing about Ansem calling out to Sora. He does. He prophesies- if anyone does any of that junk. And he says a long speech "the door has been opened... tied to the darkness... etc" in the very beginning. And then it's repeated again near the end.

And Namine does not make predictions. You really don't pay attention to the storyline- do you? What she draws is created. She created the chamber in which Sora goes into hibernation in at the end of KH:CoM. She creates stairways, she manipulates memories. She has powers- but telling the future, is not one of them.

*shrugs* We all agree to disagree... but this thread... I can't stand to look at another moment longer... for now...

*mumble* Lame thread... *mumble*
    Member of the KH Trinity
    Wielder of the Pumpkinhead | Member of the KH Trinity | A Boy From Krypton
    ShyGuy Flamer

Well, you're right, but what about the Heartless? Are some of them (but not all) modeled after demons?