Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FF1 Parties

Firstly, in reply to the idea that monks defense is bad because all they can wear is bracelets... well, thats why their defense is bad. If you equip any armor on them, they are crap... but with NO armor, they have the highest evasion, and defense is equal to level. In my experience, after around 30-40 defense, very little hits for more than 1 point of damage. Now, a fighter with dragon armor, aegis shield, etc is around 65-70 defense, and will never get better. A monk caps out at 50, or 99 on easy play mode.

As for attack, monks attack is double their level. A fighter/knights attack, with masamune will never get much higher than 100, not even that high on normal mode (with level 50 cap). A monks attack is 100 at level 50, or 198 at level 99. Now add to this, that the monk has higher accuracy than a knight with masamune (more hits, therefore more damage) multiplied by the fact that monks get 2 attacks per 32 points of accuracy, rather than 1... and you get THOUSANDS more damage. By the time my knight was regularly getting 1000 damage hits, my monk was landing hits for well over 10,000. No other job fighter, mage, or anything else can do that. And for free...

Which leads me to healing. More than enough money laying around to keep 99 heal potions. Using four monks, I have never run out of heal potions in a dungeon. Using fighters and mages, I have run out of healing many times. Not enough money top keep stocked on potions, and not enough spell slots to last through a long dungeon.

Really, if you aren't getting good results from a monk, you are either equipping him with armor and or weapons (which i usually stop doing around level 10), or, you are just not spending any time leveling. I guess if you are going for the "I beat the game with the lowest level" award, thats fine, but I find that the sense of reward that comes with leveling characters up is one of the main reasons I play RPGs.

PS my last completed game save file: Knight 67, Monk 99, Ninja 65, White Wizard 65. Note how my monk died the LEAST...

Major flaw: That sounds like a lot of leveling to do before monks are good. Most people avoid uber-leveling because then nothing challenges them and it sucks the fun right out of the game.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Quote Originally Posted by Rengori
    This is why the they're mages. You buy them Magic. The damage problem is solved with Black Magic and the White Mages will save you a lot of money on potions if you keep them updated with the latest Cure/Heal spell.

Yeah but you see, like I stated many times. The Bm/Wm are completly useless because there is a Red Mage in this game. Red Mage = Wm/Bm but with good hp and good attack power/defense. I mean really. Tell me what is the point of this party

Fi/th/Wm/Bm.

The fighter attacks (does a great job BTW), thief attacks (sucks) or runs away (useless), the black mage casts strong black magic (he becomes useless once it runs out, unlike the Red Mage)

Then you have the white mage. Who does what? If you actually have a good party then healing wont be needed as often. So what in the hell is the white mage to do? Attack for horrible damage? Cast useless "Support spells"? The red mage can do all that and when he doesnt need to he can contribute to the battle. Same for the black mage. His amount of charges will not last throughout a dungeon if you have him cast in every battle. So what is he to do when he runs out or when you try to save charges? Thats what I thought. All in all. Rm>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Trash>>>>>>>>>>>>Wm/Bm

Oh and all of my posts refer to the NES/Origins version of FF1. Not the pansy version AKA DoS.

Quote Originally Posted by FlareNUKE
    I've seen "Black Mage FF1" always complain about the Bl.MAGEs on other forums... people ask him why that's his name... he never answers... AND THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO KEPT DYING WERE MY MASTER!!!
    There are only 3 forums that I visit. This, gamefaqs (rarely) and COTD. And I know for a fact that you have never been to COTD. So I dont know what you are talking about.

"Why is your name Black Mage FF1?"

*Laughs*

More reasons on why the Black Mages suck can be found here

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=45104
    Last edited by Black Mage FF1; 02-02-2006 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suikojowy
    Fighter, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage
    Second
    Silly jilly ultra nuggets.
    My sig was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1
    Yeah but you see, like I stated many times. The Bm/Wm are completly useless because there is a Red Mage in this game. Red Mage = Wm/Bm but with good hp and good attack power/defense. I mean really. Tell me what is the point of this party

Fi/th/Wm/Bm.

The fighter attacks (does a great job BTW), thief attacks (sucks) or runs away (useless), the black mage casts strong black magic (he becomes useless once it runs out, unlike the Red Mage)

Then you have the white mage. Who does what? If you actually have a good party then healing wont be needed as often. So what in the hell is the white mage to do? Attack for horrible damage? Cast useless "Support spells"? The red mage can do all that and when he doesnt need to he can contribute to the battle. Same for the black mage. His amount of charges will not last throughout a dungeon if you have him cast in every battle. So what is he to do when he runs out or when you try to save charges? Thats what I thought. All in all. Rm>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Trash>>>>>>>>>>>>Wm/Bm
    Fair argument. Thieves are good at running as you said, and that is very useful in a lot of situations, such as when you don't like getting poisoned or need to get to an inn fast without dying. The thief is also in this party so you DON'T have to waste all your magic going through a dungeon. If an enemy can't go down in a few hits, you can run to save magic. But your point about red mages is a valid one. However, they run out of magic far more quickly and tend to be expensive.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

I roll the vanilla way
    Fighter
    Thief
    BLM
    WHM
    Maybe we didn't understand not just a boy and a girl.....
    its just the end of the end of the world

My Bl.BELT always dies, And I never equiped anything

Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Red Mage

I dont like Black Mages. Red Mages can pick up the slack that is left behind, and Thiefs and Fighter rawk!
    PH33R teh Rainbow.

Taste the Rainbow

All Right, FYI, I USED my Wh.MAGE a lot... it could cast LIFE earlier instead of having to wait for class change... and my Bl.MAGE always doused enemies with spells, but his attack always sucked...

i use Fitgter B.Belt B.Mage W.Mage
    What you say im just a regular mage? ummmm.. i Can fly!

I had a warrior, thief, red mage and a white mage. It was ok, but not the greatest. Next time I'm play I'm going to have a warrior, monk, black mage and white mage. Magic is fairly important in that game.

Well, personally, I always enjoy a well-balanced party (and a breakfast, like my location)

Fighter; Thief;Red Mage;White Mage (what I beat the game with the 1st time)
    Fighter; Fighter; Black Mage; White Mage
    Fter, BB, BM, WM
    Fter, BB, RM, WM

Basically thats it

Oh yeah:
    Fter, RM, BM, WM
    Front-wards, back-wards, anyway you see! Such a strange spell to swish-swish-aree! Tceles Nottub B. Swish-swish-aroo!

I've only beaten FFI, but I'm close to beating FFIII for FAMICOM!

YAY FOR CHOCOBOS!

DON'T FORGET MOOGLES! :mog:

Fighter, Fighter, Red Mage, Black Mage

^_^'

DoS- Fighter,White mage, Redmage, Thief/Fighter/Monk
    I've only completed the game with a fighter,thief,whiemage,redmage party and got all the way to chaos with 4 knights not enough healing. ( I feel noobish)
    "Swordchucks Yo." - Fighter

"Every time I cast Hadoken it siphons a little bit of love out of the world to create a massive destructive explosions. They say the divorce rate goes up with each cast." - BM

How many swords could sword chucks chuck if sword chucks could chuck swords? Same goes with Nuns! :rolleyes2

"I cast Ice-9!" -RM

"I can steal stuff that isn't even there" -Thief (Yet he can't steal in the game)

I've been thinking long and hard and have come to a conclusion about the best party. All right, the lower people in the column get hit less, and for most of the game, the Fighter is the only person who can take a lot of damage, so first slot is fighter. Typically people choose BB or Thief next, but then people complain that BB gets killed too much, or Thief isn't strong enough, hell, put in another Fighter, that solves that problem. Next people like two mages, but let's be honest in the original NES version, which is the only version I really ever play, magic isn't all that great. So I'd suggest putting in another physical fighter. But you have two fighters, which are expensive, perfect place for a BB. Then ok, you need fast, which severly limits your last choice, Red or Black mage. I think the choice is obvious. Red mage, because black mage can only use magic, and I typically beat the game only being able to cast 1 or 2 NUKE spells, which is the only thing they can do against Chaos, and other spells are severly limited the ENTIRE GAME. So my last slot goes to the choice of Red Mage.

SO:
    Fighter
    Fighter
    Black Belt
    Red Mage
    ..... I also enjoy the same party except another Red Mage instead of a black belt, but that tends to be quite expensive.

THE JACKEL