68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rinoa

40 58.82%
  • Quistis

28 41.18%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rinoa or Quistis

Quote Originally Posted by Qurange
    I have to disagree on that. Quistis had at least as much role in the story as the others (even discounting the first parts of the game), as far as I'm concerned. She was more thoughtful than the others in general (without, unlike Squall, also refusing to talk to anyone), and her sense of humor was mostly understated, but she had a clear personality throughout the game, at least as much so as any of the other characters. It's fine to say that you don't like her personality, but to say that it wasn't there at all is willfully ignoring what was in the game. As far as her role, she kept a bit apart, sure, but her role was largely of the responsible one, the one who supported the others. Old habits die hard, and she was an Instructor.

Of course, it depends what you mean by 'fun and interest'. Quistis wasn't the brunt of as many jokes as Zell or Irvine, and she wasn't as crazy as Selphie, so I suppose that means she didn't have any worth as a character.

I like Rinoa, too, but I don't really think that Quistis has to be this awful person to like Rinoa, or vice versa. Then, I'm just not a fan of character-bashing.
    Might have misunderstood me there. I liked Quistis, however she was very different from the other characters. She was simply normal. Neither crazy, nor pathetic, nor mega-introverted, nor mego-extraverted. She was just like a normal person in a FFVIII dress with a whip in her back-pocket. Unlike the other character, who were a bit fantasy-like, she appeared to be someone, who just got called in to fight for everyones good. Like it or not, that's your opinion, however it does make her look a little bit dull in Zell's and Selphie's company.

Oh, no, I agree with you, more or less. (At least, I have no issue with your stance.) I wasn't taking issue with your view so much as the many things I've seen here going on about how Quistis is the worst character ever.

She does tend to look a bit dull in comparison to those two, sure--maybe not normal, exactly, but definitely more subdued--what issues she did have she usually kept to herself.
    -Q

Well I'm not trying to bash the life out of Quistis and say she's the worst video game character made (which she definitely is not). However, in FF8 I simply felt her role in the overall plot and makeup of the game was fairly inferior compared to the others and I personally didn't notice much development in her, following her decision to leave her Instructor position. Maybe it is the fact that she plays mostly support and a background responsibility role that annoys me; it kind of makes me wish there was more information on her or a deeper involvement in the plot. Zell, Selphie and Irvine had at least one point in the game where attention was focused on them (Zell with the Balamb invasion, Selphie with Trabia, and Irvine with the assassination and Galbadia Garden, etc) where you, in a way, formed a keener interest and feel of those characters. There wasn't a single point like that for Quistis, at least not that I know of.

I apologize if perhaps my attitude toward her seems too unusually negative; I'm not a Quistis-hating Rinoa fanboy with posters all over my wall of Quistis with big X marks through her or anything like that. But again, there wasn't much appeal there for me.

Well, if you say it this way, it would have been better if she had another little role attached to her, like she finds a boyfriend, falls down a cliff and survives or anything similar, where you would actually feel for her. The thing about Quistis is that she remains in the background 90% of the time, which is neither bad nor good, and thus doesn't really fall into the focus of the camera.

I still liked her more than Rinoa, who did have a slightly bigger role. Not that I'm going contra-Rinoa now.

I've always liked intelligent girls, so that put Rinoa straight out!

Quistis is the woman for me!

I prefer Quistis, she's the smart one.
    "Reality is that which,
    when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away".
    Philip K. Dick

Reasons why Rinoa >>>>>>> Quistis

1) Shes HOT!!!
    2) She is more fun loving and excited.
    3) She fits better as a character and as Squalls woman.
    4) She doens't have a sight impediment.
    5) She doesn't try to be some child prodigy.
    6) Her limit break doesn't suck... or at least her final limit break is better than shockwave pulsar.
    7) She is a forest owl which is cool.
    8) She has a generally likeable personality.
    9) She brings in clever plot twists.
    10) She has that cool sweater thingy with the cut off sleeves and the angel wings.

For ten more reasons plz ask...

Quote Originally Posted by IpwnUthisMuch|------|
    Reasons why Rinoa >>>>>>> Quistis

1) Shes HOT!!!
    2) She is more fun loving and excited.
    3) She fits better as a character and as Squalls woman.
    4) She doens't have a sight impediment.
    5) She doesn't try to be some child prodigy.
    6) Her limit break doesn't suck... or at least her final limit break is better than shockwave pulsar.
    7) She is a forest owl which is cool.
    8) She has a generally likeable personality.
    9) She brings in clever plot twists.
    10) She has that cool sweater thingy with the cut off sleeves and the angel wings.

For ten more reasons plz ask...
    Ok, hmmm In this case ten more reasons, just becuase Im bored and have nothing better to do now.
    So... tell me something, intrigue me. Please do.

lol why do you need reasons you voted for rinoa in the first place > <.

Glasses.

Whip.

Quistis.

I rest my case.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

you guys are saying quistis didnt have a big part in the sotry nither did selphie or irvine quistis had a big part in the begining but kinda died away. the only time irven had parts were talkin about the orphanig and the snipeing part. well i guess thats not to bad but compared to zell rinoa or squall its piddly. and what bout selpie what the friggin heck did that dip ever do besides trip and fall on her face?

FFXIV Character

Shiromoto Tatsuji (Siren)

I'm gonna say what my vote is first, which is Rinoa. I like both rinoa and quistis but i'm more into rinoa. She's hot which lots of ppl have established already, but she is pretty childish and can get on ppls nerves. I like quistis because she is hot as well but not as much as rinoa in my opinion. She is more mature but tries to act more mature than others which makes her annoying at times. She doesn't show her feelings at all and that is why she didn't get with squall way at the start or even before the game started. in all though, i'd have to go with rinoa.

Quote Originally Posted by IpwnUthisMuch|------|
    lol why do you need reasons you voted for rinoa in the first place > <.
    lol I said I was bored :rolleyes2
    So... tell me something, intrigue me. Please do.

[QUOTE=Anaisa] Rinoa's a slut. QUOTE]

?? I didnt see Rinoa doing anything like that... Rinoa was interesting ( and hot ), I dont know why a lot of people dislike her... Of all the characters in FF8, Quistis was one of the ones whos personality was least developed. Rinoa was very sweet and mature, thats why she was the only one who could make Squall love again. Quistis was kinda bland and boring... I vote Rinoa!

Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa
    Rinoa's a slut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noj_R
    ?? I didnt see Rinoa doing anything like that...
    Ok, what about when she first meets Squall, she comments that he's the best looking guy there, before she knows anything about him, she gets flirty. She wants Squall based on looks alone, and further proves this by trying to mould his personality to suit her. We find out that she also had a thing with Seifer. She claims that she thought it was love, and I think she said it was last summer or something, whenever she said it was, it was not only a short period of time for her to move on to Squall, but considering she was under the impression that it was love, her and Seifer's relationship didn't last very long. Who knows how many more men she's thought she was in love with.....?!