Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 67% of Americans are overweight.

Everyone knows that eleventy-twelve percent of all statistics are made up.

Blog Entries

Even so. That doesn't take away from the fact that I'm right. I'M RIGHT. >=(

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

America is considered to be the fattest country in the world at the moment, that is true, but many European countries (such as England) and other developed countries are catching up.

However, that statistic is, as was stated earlier, flawed. Please cite wherer you found such a statistic, there are many factors that go into how statistically sound a study is and just posting a number and expecting everybody to agree with you is generally not going to work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Behold the Void
    Just posting a number and expecting everybody to agree with you is generally not going to work.
    I never asked people to agree with this statistic, but I asked "why do you think American is so overweight."

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never asked people to agree with this statistic, but I asked "why do you think American is so overweight."
    But you did present the statistic as fact, and used it to establish your thesis, that America is indeed grossly overweight. Until you give me a substantial statistic that says that a large number of Americans is indeed overweight, and dangerously so, the point is moot. You're telling me that 67% of Americans are "overweight" (whatever that means) and I am asking you to give me more information on your numbers before I'll address the topic as correct. As of now I can say "Well, I think you're wrong, 12% of Americans are overweight". I've given just as much information as you did, so mine is just as valid as yours, as it stands.

9 out of 10 people say that every time there is a survey with 10 people, one of them always disagrees.

Blog Entries

I don't see the need to valid my statistic, anyone who has eyes can see that it's way more than 12% and if anyone claims otherwise they're in denial or they're being defensive. Any fool who has a little logic can see that more than 12% of America is overweight. I think it's so typical of Americans to try and deflect and avoid the issue and so, either your being defensive or you're trying to turn it upside down. The rest of the world didn't force food down your throat, you did.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

First off, making posts like that is not acceptable. That is a borderline personal attack, something we do not permit on this site.

I note you say "Americans" as if you are not American yourself. Which implies to me that you do not live in America, and thus cannot see Americans on a regular basis.

I, on the other hand do. If you'll note, I never actually SAID that it was 12%. I merely said I could and it would have the same validity as your statement.

If you want some discussion on this, you will give me a valid and supported statistic. Otherwise, you will be dismissed. I live in America and I know for a fact that nowhere NEAR 67% of all Americans are overweight. You can see this, as you so eloquently put it, by looking outside.

Frankly I personally couldn't care less whether my country is overweight or not. I'm not, so I'm fine. However, someone who seems to think they can get away with making sweeping statements and generalizations annoys me to no end, so if you want to be taken seriously you WILL give me good numbers and facts.

Blog Entries

I don't understand why anyone would even try to defend the issue, I guess that's why your country is going to continue to be fattest.

Chris : "I think Americans are all fat! Here's a random statistic!"
    Voidy : "You're making up a statistic and have no basis for your claims, could you back them up?"
    Chris : "OMG u dun agre wiv me ;( u must be fat and ofended!111 lol ur fat!111"

Just summing up.

Blog Entries

How clever. Why don't you eat me? You'd probably eat everything else (meant in the kindess way possible).

Ironic, how you're calling other people defensive, when you're the one who's resorted to petty insults when your "argument" was ripped apart.

Haha, and I'm English, and I only weigh around 50 kilos.

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    Haha, and I'm English, and I only weigh around 50 kilos.
    Lol, I'm only 112 pounds. I'm not fat though, n'or strong. Just gtrowing is all..

Blog Entries

You attacked me. I have a right to return the favor.

Edit: My intention with this thread was not to attack anyone, but if you're going to trash me (Lindy), at least try to make it good. My time is way too precious to be wasted on something I experienced in kindergarden.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandinka
    I don't understand why anyone would even try to defend the issue, I guess that's why your country is going to continue to be fattest.
    The issue is that you made up an issue. I look around on the street walking to work everyday and I see nothing but normal people. None of these fat blobs of fat flopping around like a beached whale. I would say 3% of the population is a fatty fat fat fat based on my observations everyday in Chicago.