Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album sales down to a new 8 year low. INDUSTRY IN CRISIS!

Nulli Secundus Primus Inter Pares's Avatar

Seriously, most music is too bad right now for anyone to want anything new, and the only way to get the old stuff is to either rip it off my Vinyl or download it, downloading is a hell of a lot easier.

...*huggles 5 J.J. Cale albums*
    :joey:

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

i always prefer to have the actual album than to download it, this is seriously scary for the industry

It's just a change of the times. When the record companies came into the light in the early twentieth century after the introduction of the phonogram all the live perfomances were crying foul and tried to stop the record companies just like the record companies are trying to stop downloading now.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ZeZipster
    Virgin Records recently started putting encryption on their CDs so you can't rip songs. Genius. Pure genius. They ignored the fact that iTunes can't recognize the CD, and some computers all together can't make heads or tales of it. Not to mention the fact that MUSIC = SOUND. If we can hear sound, Virgin, we can record it. Desperate smurfing corporations and shameless disregard for HOW MUCH PEOPLE ARE PAYING FOR YOUR MOTHERsmurfING PRODUCT is what's killing the music industry, not illegal downloads. Dandy work there, Virgin. I'm sure everyone is gonna run out and buy your CDs now! Although I find it disappointing that they stopped there. I mean seriously the only logical thing for major record labels to do now is to sell CDs without songs on them, this way no one can hear it and so no one can rip songs off of it!

The failure of major record labels can only help the music industry. Maybe now radio stations will stop playing the same Greenday song thirty times in a row? Maybe people, with the help of downloading music (not even illegally, legally too) people will begin exposing themselves to more than what those major labels are willing to show them.

smurf Warner, Universal, Sony BMG, and EMI. If your demography charts, marketing strategies, and A&R departments are failing you why don't you slap lawsuits on them instead of us? Assholes.
    Win.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I don't think file sharing is completely to blame, but I don't think it's helping anything. If "no one wants to hear these people" though, well, I wouldn't see 8000 people sharing and downloading the new Linkin Park/Metallica/Britney Spears CD on p2p clients and torrents.
    I like Kung-Fu.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ditto DMKA.

I don't understand why so many people are insistant that illegal downloads aren't hurting the industry at all. Yes, it is hurting the music industry because you and I both know people who used to buy CDs but don't anymore because they figure they can just download it off torrentspy.

Illegal downloads aren't making as huge a dent as the music industry is claiming, but how anyone can deny that it is making a significant impact is just silly.

Banned

People downloading music for free is also helping the industry. It helps people, like myself, finding music they like, which they later can purchase. I wouldn't buy anywhere near as much music, if any at all, if it weren't for file-sharing programs. File-sharing is only hurting the biggest record companies, which want to keep people from finding out that there is more music than what is played on MTV. Those who download the most music is generally those who buy the most music.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by jrgen
    People downloading music for free is also helping the industry. It helps people, like myself, finding music they like, which they later can purchase. I wouldn't buy anywhere near as much music, if any at all, if it weren't for file-sharing programs. File-sharing is only hurting the biggest record companies, which want to keep people from finding out that there is more music than what is played on MTV. Those who download the most music is generally those who buy the most music.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.
    I like Kung-Fu.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really would prefer it if people would just say, "Yeah, I download music. Yeah, I know it's illegal. Yeah, I'm hurting the industry. But you know what? I don't give a crap."

As opposed to, "Downloading music isn't bad AT ALL! I'm only downloading music I wouldn't buy anyway. And in fact, downloading music is helping the industry. And it's not like I'm ripping off the artists, I'm ripping off the big evil corporations who charge too much for CDs!"

I mean, just own up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel
    I really would prefer it if people would just say, "Yeah, I download music. Yeah, I know it's illegal. Yeah, I'm hurting the industry. But you know what? I don't give a crap."

As opposed to, "Downloading music isn't bad AT ALL! I'm only downloading music I wouldn't buy anyway. And in fact, downloading music is helping the industry. And it's not like I'm ripping off the artists, I'm ripping off the big evil corporations who charge too much for CDs!"

I mean, just own up to it.
    If illegal file sharing is destroying the music industry, then I will personally enjoy putting one big ass nail in it's coffin. Bands are getting exposure, if major record labels want to ignore that 194% increase in digital downloads they can go ahead. But don't claim we're killing the music industry. Because if anything we're doing the reverse. Would you rather get your album out to 50 people downloaded and have 5 people buy it or have 15 people buy your CD? If you choose the latter, you're in the music business for the wrong reasons.

The music industry isn't dying, major labels are. We're no longer forced to resort to the radio or T.V. for music. Now people can share songs with their friends, or just right click a strangers name and view all the songs they personally like. Do you know how big a 194% increase in digital downloads is? Everyday more and more of my peers are pointing out bands I like that are on indie labels. I think the music industry is at it's best.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Like I said, both sides aren't being accurate at all. No, illegal downloading isn't killing the industry, not at all. But at the same time, people who download music are insistent that they're not hurting the industry even a little bit which just isn't true. Both sides are being stupid.

I'd also like to point out the fact that neither the article, nor any of the posts in this thread prior to your's have claimed that music downloading is destroying or killing the music industry.

Like I said, both sides aren't being accurate at all. No, illegal downloading isn't killing the industry, not at all. But at the same time, people who download music are insistent that they're not hurting the industry even a little bit which just isn't true. Both sides are being stupid.
    The extremists are being stupid on both sides, and that's true of almost anything. I can see how downloading music may hurt some parts of the music industry, but I don't think that part of the music industry should even exist. Because, y'know it is "big evil corporations who charge too much for CDs". Would it be such a shame if Warner, Universal, Sony BMG, and EMI went belly up? Artists, even HUGE multiplatinum artists, often only get 2-3 percentage points from each album sold. The rest goes to the label, producers, manager, engineer, etc. You let a label set a tour up for you, they'll take most of the door too, and half of whatever your inital fee is just to play the venue. The place that most artists make most of thier money is the merch table. Most bands negotiate that stuff seperately, on their own, and since hats and t-shirts and other clothing and accessories are so cheap in bulk, artists can often get 75-80% of the gross profits.

I'd also like to point out the fact that neither the article, nor any of the posts in this thread prior to your's have claimed that music downloading is destroying or killing the music industry.
    Please don't argue semantics, it's aggravating. Hurting, destroying, and killing are loosely synonymous.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You think that "hurting" is synonymous with "destroying"? O_o

You think that "hurting" is synonymous with "destroying"? O_o
    To destroy something you'd have to hurt it first right? They aren't synonymous, but in context it wasn't exactly a day and night difference.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.
    May I ask at what you are laughing?